Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

2010 17C hot water

I am a first time travel trailer owner... used ours for the first time last week and when the wife went to give our kids a shower, the water came out hot for a few seconds and then went lukewarm. I had the thermostat cranked all the way up and everything appeared to be working, are we missing something or is this normal?
Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

I have a 2012, so the water heater maybe a little different. But over the years they have all been about the same.

How did you crank up the heat, never seen an adjustable thermastat rv water heater.

I would guess you have two of the valves at the water heater in the in wrong position. If the valve handle is perpendicular to the water pipe the valve is closed. The cross pipe (bypass valve) should be closed. The other two valves should be open, handle parallel to the pipe. Some people like to have the bypass valve slightly open to temper the water temp as temperature is very hot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

All the valves are open except for the anti-freeze suck tube. Should one (or more) be closed?

I have this control on the water heater to adjust temperature.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Nice, wish I had that.

Look behind the water heater, you may need a #2 screw driver to remove an access panel. On my 23B, I access the panel from above. I left the screw out after the first time. The three valves I'm talking about are refereed to as bypass valves to protect the water heater from rv antifreeze during the winterizing process.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 05-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

Check out You Tube " Rv water heater bypass valve" will show how to set the valves Good Luck
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

I agree with the other comments, sounds like your bypass valve is open and allowing cold water to mix with the hot water exiting the water heater. Note that even if the valve handle is turned perpendicular to the pipe, the valve body could be "stuck" in the open position. I had this happen last year and had to replace the valve. Have heard from others on this forum with the same issue.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
I agree with the other comments, sounds like your bypass valve is open and allowing cold water to mix with the hot water exiting the water heater. Note that even if the valve handle is turned perpendicular to the pipe, the valve body could be "stuck" in the open position. I had this happen last year and had to replace the valve. Have heard from others on this forum with the same issue.
So what youre saying is not all the valves should be open? The only one I currently have closed is the anti-freeze suck tube. My unit is stored at my sisters house so I wouldnt be able to check it until later.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

I think I see what you're saying... the middle valve in this diagram should be closed I presume, like the top diagram?
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
I think I see what you're saying... the middle valve in this diagram should be closed I presume, like the top diagram?
Correct. The antifreeze suck tube is only used in the fall to fill the pipes with antifreeze, the rest of the year that tube should be closed.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Correct. The antifreeze suck tube is only used in the fall to fill the pipes with antifreeze, the rest of the year that tube should be closed.
My suck tube is separate, unlike the diagram but I get what you're saying and believe I see where my problem is, i'll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

Mine is too. It's right at the pump

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #12

Be sure this circled valve is perpendicular(closed) to the line.

The other two (in and out) from the water heater should be parallel(open) to the line. (in this photo those two valves are closed, not open!)

This is from my 2012 X17Z.

j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote