Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #1

2010 X17Z, Need to replace tires, Bias or Radial?

Hey all,
As the thread states, I'm about to replace the original tires on my 2010 EXP 17Z, and I need some advice. The current tires are Duro ST185/80/D13 D-rated. The local tire shop is offering me a good price for replacements, but he is recommending Radial instead of Bias ply tires. He can get both and they are within $10 in price. He says the Radials run cooler and smoother, but the trailer came with Bias, and I'm thinking the spare is also going to be a bias ply. Cooler and smoother sounds good to me but should I stick with the OEM Bias?

We're about to do a 10 hour round trip with this trailer (her last, we're selling her this fall as we're going the trailer park route now) and I'd like to make the replacements as safe and smooth as possible.

Cheers!
Johnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

Wow, 8 years is really good for original tires. I have the same RV, same year. If you're planning on selling it soon, then replacing the tires with another set of bias-ply tires same size with D rating would work. If you go with a radial version of the same size tire, be sure to check the load rating. For instance, a Maxxis radial 185/80/R13 has a load rating of only 1480 lbs. The original bias ply Duros have a load rating of 1660 lbs. When I changed out tires a few years ago, I bought new rims and went to a 14" radial. I really can't tell the difference between the original bias-ply and new radial tires as far as cooler/smoother is concerned. Both got the job done.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

Our tires only lasted 3 years. The side walls were cracking. Even the spare was no good. Then again, the first year we put on 15000 km on a trip out west. We replaced them with radials on the recommendation of the trailer repair place where we purchased them.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks for you answers. I decided to go with the radials to match the spare.

Cheers!
Johnster is offline   Reply With Quote