Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

2011 x17z Refrigerator Question

This past weekend we went camping and noticed that the refrigerator was not able to keep things cold during the day. The temperature was between 95 and 100 degrees. I made sure nothing was blocking the cooling fins and that it wasn't completely packed. Overnight it seemed to have cooled down to the proper temperature. We only go into it when we need something and do not keep it opened too long. Is there anything I could do different to keep it cool in hot temperatures?

I will add this, on the 3rd day we turned the AC on and it was running fine, then it just shut off. No fuses were blown and no circuit breakers were tripped inside the trailer. The breaker from the campground to the trailer wasn't tripped either. I turned off all breakers and turned them back on. Everything seemed to be working after that (except the refrigerator didn't get cold again until the night).

I also switched to running on gas most of the day and nothing changed either.
------ Jet Mass airflow sensor
------ Taylor TBI spacer
------ Magnaflow cat backdual exhaust
------ Roadmaster active suspension
joezaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezaw View Post
The temperature was between 95 and 100 degrees.
Check the refrigerator manual. It clearly states that operation will be impaired at those temps.

Outdoor temps below freezing give our fridges fits too!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

have you been on the roof lately? I get leaves in the refrigerator roof vent that block the air flow.

I have not tried this yet, but I wonder what would happen if you removed the outside access panel when it is really hot out? Some people have added small fans in the access panel area to pull the warm air up and out of the access area.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:50 AM   #4

I installed one of those dual fans that hooks onto the cooling fins in the refrigerator and that really helped. I also put one of those little battery operated fans on last shelf in the fridge. I installed a fan in behind the refrigerator that helps move the air up through the roof vent. All of those things, plus running the unit on gas instead of electric seems to make a big difference especially in hot weather.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #5

A few years ago we were camping in very humid hot (95+) conditions and I noticed that our fridge was not cooling very well. There was another 17Z parked a few sites away that wasn't having any issues. Same RV, same year. The only difference was he had his A/C on and I did not. The high humidity was continuing for several days so we closed up the RV and starting running the A/C. About a 1/2 day later I noticed that the fridge was cooling much better.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
A few years ago we were camping in very humid hot (95+) conditions and I noticed that our fridge was not cooling very well. There was another 17Z parked a few sites away that wasn't having any issues. Same RV, same year. The only difference was he had his A/C on and I did not. The high humidity was continuing for several days so we closed up the RV and starting running the A/C. About a 1/2 day later I noticed that the fridge was cooling much better.
The A/C did 2 things: 1) Lowered the temperature inside the RV so that the fridge did not need to cool the box as much. and 2) the condenser fan got a lot of air moving around on the roof, drawing the flow of hot air from the back of the fridge more effectively.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote