Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #1

2012 Jayco 19h owners, skylight in shower?

We will be taking ownership of a 2012 Jayco 19h on Tuesday and after signing the papers and putting $200 down, I just realized that it may not have a skylight in shower as our trade 2010 17z does!!

Anyone have a skylight, don't see it as an option in brochures and don't know if they all come this way.

Thinking of having dealer install one if not, like the extra light besides the fan above toilet, cost??? $500 with install???

Any tips we should look for upon inspection, problems, etc.
Makjps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #2

I just picked up a 2012 x8d and I don't have a skylight either. Not sure if it others me or not yet.
Holes in he roof make me nervous
parkerbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbows View Post
I just picked up a 2012 x8d and I don't have a skylight either. Not sure if it others me or not yet.
Holes in he roof make me nervous
parker,

makes me nervous too, but I have searched another site and someone said they had it done for $425, plus we had an a/c put in a pop up we used to have, and ehow.com shows you how to do it on a rubber roof, wouldn't do it myself though.

If you could look sometime too at your new trailer, bathroom sink drain, the stopper, can you lift it a little and turn to let water drain without filling sink, and leaving stopper in, our 17z you could do this and I noticed on the new one you can't, it seems that they left out the flange that goes in sink?? I told dealer about it and they said they would put some epoxy in there on 2 sides to hold stopper up a little.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

It's listed under options in the build your own on Jayco site.

My 11 model has one. It's nice but not something I would have added extra, the 07 model my dad had did not so I know its not a deal breaker. I don't think I would shell out the extra cash for it if it did not have one.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

I have a 2012 19H, and it has the skylight above the tub, and I had the fantastic fan installed where the stock fan/ vent was.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

The wife and I went to the Jayco dealer, toured the 2012 X17Z on the showroom floor and loved it. We ended up purchasing the X17Z and the salesman said they would prep one of the models they had in the remote lot (we wanted one of the models that had the two 20lb propane bottles instead of the 30lb bottle). My wife wanted to see the trailer prior to the pick up date, but they said that was not possible at the time because the trailers were very close together. However, they assured us we would go over the whole trailer prior to us accepting it.

A couple of days later, we did the walk thru. The trailer was done beauifully and we were loving it. However when we got to the bathroom, she noticed that the skylight was not in this trailer. The showroom model had the skylight, but this one did not. It seems that Jayco did some running changes to their line (propane bottles, light fixtures and skylights). The changes must have come at different times. In any event, we wanted the skylight, so the dealer had all their available personnel prep the showroom trailer for us in about 1 hour time (they looked like bees buzzing around the trailer).

See if your dealer has any other 19H's on the lot before purchasing. Assuming it is the same as the 17Z line, they might has incorporated those changes at various times in the 2012 production cycle and their might be one on the lot with the skylight.
Allamuchy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #7

Our 2011 came with it. love the extra natural light.

2010 ford f150 screw (dads)
2012 gmc terrain (mommas)
2011 jayco x19h (weekend home)
garage full of toys for the boys
chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #8

The 11 model has a lot of stuff the 12's don't. A tub around to start with. Also the pretty fake glass cabinet doors.

I was glad I was able to get mine back in April, it was a left over 11 model, with a bunch of extras. The only thing I could not add was the bigger AC unit. It has the Coleman Mach AC. Before you buy, take a screw driver and check the cabinet hinge screws. My second trip out, all the doors started pulling off because the screws were stripped. Its an easy fix, but I want to take it back to the dealer for a couple of other things.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #9

The last 2 trailers we have owned have had skylights cracked due to hail. I for one could live without it.

RB
skidoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

It is back on the '13 models.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #11

For us, having the skylight in the shower wasn't really an option. DH is over 6' and his head hit the ceiling without the extra room that the skylight provides.
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #12

I called Jayco about our 2012 19h and found out the skylight is not an option because of the time our roof was made end of 2011, it will not support a skylight because there is no backing to frame it properly and is not recommended to be installed. I will live without the skylight, we are not tall people so we fit fine in shower, my husband won't use it anyway. The extra light is nice, but we still get enough light from fan vent.

Dealer was very good during walk through, they will be inquiring with Jayco about the bath sink stopper not being able to rest up a little in drain. He even said he would get us a new sink if no fix. He also said panel cabinet below frig could be taken out for a deeper cabinet. They fixed a badly caulked and bent strip on front of camper outside.

We are all packed and ready to camp first time today for 4 nights. Plugged in frig last night and takes approximately 4 hours to get cold and ready to pack. The storage works well. So far, glad we upgraded from our 2010 17z which was also a great camper but just too small for a family of 4.

2012 Jayco 19h
2009 Silverado
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makjps View Post
I called Jayco about our 2012 19h and found out the skylight is not an option because of the time our roof was made end of 2011, it will not support a skylight because there is no backing to frame it properly and is not recommended to be installed. I will live without the skylight, we are not tall people so we fit fine in shower, my husband won't use it anyway. The extra light is nice, but we still get enough light from fan vent.

Dealer was very good during walk through, they will be inquiring with Jayco about the bath sink stopper not being able to rest up a little in drain. He even said he would get us a new sink if no fix. He also said panel cabinet below frig could be taken out for a deeper cabinet. They fixed a badly caulked and bent strip on front of camper outside.

We are all packed and ready to camp first time today for 4 nights. Plugged in frig last night and takes approximately 4 hours to get cold and ready to pack. The storage works well. So far, glad we upgraded from our 2010 17z which was also a great camper but just too small for a family of 4.

2012 Jayco 19h
2009 Silverado
I looked at what you said and no my stopper in the sink does not stay up either
parkerbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #14

I am not a big fan of sky lights. Although my 17Z has one, I one in a previous RV that leaked and caused me to have to replace the whole roof. If my RV did not come with one, I would have one put in aftermarket. Just my two cents.
Fishinggunny is offline   Reply With Quote