Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

2012 Jayco X19H

Looking at possibly going from my 2012 Jayco Jay Series Sport 12 PopUp to a 2012 Jayco X19H Hybrid..... Does anyone else have this model, pros and cons.... First pro for upgrading for us would be a full kitchen and fridge and bathroom from only a dorm fridge, 2 burner stove and NO BATHROOM..... If anyone has the same model, give thoughts on the floorplan, space, storage, etc. Thanks
JaycoKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

No opinion on the X19H per se....

Just that we went from tent camping directly to a totally hard sided TT, skipping the pop-up and hybrid steps because I didn't want to deal with A) water inside the TT when it rains and having to deal with damp canvas after getting home.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Hey JaycoKev ;Ive had hybrids for about 15 yrs , I bought my first hybrid which was a Trail lite Bantam and camped in that for 10yrs, never had a leak in the tent ends or roof membrain.I think its like most things, a little care and maintainance will go a long way. Ive owned a X19H now since 2011 and just love it, opening up the tent ends gives so much air flow and light - I wouldn't trade it for anything.LOVE the larger size fridge and the big window by the dinette.Tons of storage capacity compared to some other floorplans all wrapped into a very towable size.YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!
Alex19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #4

Not that model per say, but having owned 2 Jayco hybrids since '03 I can speak volumes about them. Despite floor plan differences they are all pretty much the same, use the same components, etc. Hybrids are not pop-ups and can't be compared apples to apples to apples with them. They are not for everyone, but many people who have never owned one will tell you all sorts of reasons not to get one.

1) Stories of leaks and wet packing issues are greatly exaggerated and misunderstood. The bunk ends are vinyl covered and even when packing while raining, it is a simple matter of dragging a towel over them to get the water off and 30 minutes of letting them air dry. The does not, and cannot soak through. Nothing like real canvas which can take a day or longer to dry out.

2) Setup/breakdown is a piece of cake compared to a pop-up. Both our old pop-up and first hybrid used separate bars to hold up the beds. Not difficult, but did add some time to setup. Newer hybrids use cables. Drop the bed, pop in the shepherd's pole, throw a sleeping bag on the bed and you're done.

3) Never once had a leak during any rain, and we've had some really heavy down pours on some of our trips. In one CG we were at a few years ago it rained so much one night that 2 sites on low ground were in 1'+ of water. We were nice and dry inside.

4) What you do need to be concerned about is towing it. Even if it's within your weight rating it's still a full height box, and will be a far different towing experience than a pop-up. Tongue weight will be far heavier and even with a WD hitch you need to be conscious of your hitch weight limit and your payload.

Having come from a pop-up you're already used to hearing outside noises. That's a good thing because aside from wet bunk ends, this is one of the biggest objections I see to having one. I think you'll love a hybrid.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
BJR

We went from tent camping to a 2014 X19H and thought it was the best thing ever...for a while.

The pro's for you will be nearly obvious over a pop-up - more space, a bathroom, etc. You're used to the tent ends and this will be the same.

Some of the issues we had with ours was around the storage and setup/breakdown. Many of our cons below are probably things you're used to with a pop-up.

Storage
Storage is OK - maybe for most people. Our issue was there was a ward for food but nowhere for clothes. (We're not light packers) What we would do is have bins of clothes we would move around from bunk to shower to floor to wherever. I finally put a piece of plywood over the shower lip so we could stack the bins in the shower. Note the shower does not have a surround.

Sleeping
This one may not be an issue for you but I didn't find the beds comfortable. I liked the "tentsy" feel but the mattress was too thin for me. We got a topper but that was yet another thing I had to do to set up and breakdown. I would sleep on the couch (it was awesome, actually), the dog on the table, a wife and a kid in each bed. If we brought someone with us we'd have to double up.

Setup/Breakdown
This will be better than your pop-up but I got tired of spending two hours (or more) setting up and breaking down. Frankly, we couldn't do anything til the bunk ends were flopped out, the mattress topper was on the bed and the bins were off the floor. Vice versa was the same - can't put the beds away until you have space for everything that was on the bed.

Rain
We stayed for a week last year and at one point had some torrential downpours. We lived but the tent ends leaked. I think it would be a simple fix just to get some seam sealer and be done with it. We never had an issue setting up or breaking down in the rain.

Odd things
We didn't like that the door was so close to the back end of the trailer. It was rough to try and keep it clean inside and would have preferred the door be more centered. The good thing is the door is right by the bathroom so if you're making a quick trip in to go then you're not walking all the way through the camper.

We had some issues with the tent ends pulling away from the body. The dealer fixed it under warranty but we weren't thrilled with the service dept's responsiveness or the actual repair. Other warranty fixes included repairing the p-trap, fixing the backsplash wall paper, replacing the bathroom vent fan, and adjusting the cabinet doors under the sink.

Counter space wasn't great but we survived. We did like that there was an openable window in the kitchen so we could pass things back and forth

Two bottlenecks with floor plan are at the door and when you have the couch down as a bed. If the couch is down it's a somewhat tight squeeze between it and the table. On the plus side, though, you can sit there to eat. The dog and kid could use the couch to get up on the bunk in the front.

There's a great Facebook group called Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping you should join.

We skipped the pop-up because we'd grow out of it too quickly and I encourage you to consider skipping a hybrid if anything above is an issue. We traded ours in this year for a 287BHSW. It's a big jump from the X19H but it was the one for us. We gave up some features we may miss - outdoor shower, gas/electric water heater, bathroom fan switch on the wall, self lighting range, but we love the space.

If I were to buy another hybrid it would be an X23F. The center door, storage, third bunk and slide seem like the perfect combination. We would use the third bed as storage for bins, clothes, etc.

Hope that helps.
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

Thats what the DW is concerned with if we pull the trigger on the X19H is no slide and having limited floor space where the dinette, kitchen and couch are.... We are probably gonna hold out for one with a slide and hopefully to I find a deal like I did with the X19
JaycoKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

We love our 19H having converted from a pup. Shocked that it swallowed all of our gear that used to fill our 1007 with tons of storage space left over now. After 8 years in a pup, I find the floor space more than adequate, roomy actually!

The mattresses seem a bit better than our 1007; slept fine without a topper, but I am using the topper from our 1007 anyway now. Just leave it on the platform and plop the mattress back on top (I guess that makes it an underer actually).

Our setup time has yet to exceed about 30 minutes.

Coming from a pup, we don't actually plan on using the shower - it makes a great storage area for chairs and folding tables. Just added a couple of hooks for bungee to keep everything in place.

My only design complaint (so far) is how small the outside storage hatch is. Doesn't appear to be any reason why it needs to be so short, and will give some serious consideration to whether I can make a major mod and add a larger door, maybe with a good slam latch. Still, not a huge deal, I just bought a few lower profile storage bins and noodled about how best to fit. Everything goes in fine now.

To BJR's point, there isn't a lot of storage for clothes, especially as the wardrobe we have converted to drawers for gear. We were already used to that. For short trips, and when just DW and I, each has a duffel and it goes on the bunk. For longer trips and with the kids, we actually have a 6'+ tall tent that use as a change tent outside. Everyone happier that way as no one walks in on you changing or peeks at you through the windows.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoKev View Post
Thats what the DW is concerned with if we pull the trigger on the X19H is no slide and having limited floor space where the dinette, kitchen and couch are.... We are probably gonna hold out for one with a slide and hopefully to I find a deal like I did with the X19
I agree with the above, the door of the X19 is in an odd spot. Unfortunately they don't make the X20E anymore. Maybe you could find a nice used one? It's overall dimensions and weight are close to the X19. It has a slide which is just the couch and only moves out about a foot but makes a huge difference in floor space. The only things we don't like about it are the lack of counter space and it has no drawers. I added some in the huge pantry that it has. There is a small wardrobe, and cabinets on top of the slide that we use for clothes we don't hang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
Setup/Breakdown
This will be better than your pop-up but I got tired of spending two hours (or more) setting up and breaking down.
Two hours? Yikes! You guys must have a lot of stuff to deal with. That's what it took us to do a pop-up, it's an hour with our hybrid, and that includes all of our goofy whirly-gigs and the light string. 30 minutes if we don't setup any extras. Glad you found something that works better for you!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

Two hours? Yikes! You guys must have a lot of stuff to deal with. That's what it took us to do a pop-up, it's an hour with our hybrid, and that includes all of our goofy whirly-gigs and the light string. 30 minutes if we don't setup any extras. Glad you found something that works better for you!
That time does include unhooking, getting connected, getting the beds out, awning out, etc. Some of that will obviously carry over to the new camper.

Part of my issue was I am slightly impatient and liked to get the beds folded up before everyone else was ready. There's definitely an order of operations with some potentials for spousal conflict!

Bryan
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
There's definitely an order of operations with some potentials for spousal conflict!

Bryan

Awesome! I remember when we started tenting (mind you this is 30 years ago), my wife got so mad at me that I thought the camping thing was done. Months later she asked when we were going to do it again! Over time we got into a routine that sticks with us to this day. She does everything inside except for the TV. I do everything outside.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #11

We have a 2011X19H AND LOVE IT storage is a bit tight but much better then a tent or pop up. Door is ok nit the best spot I agree with but full bath stove air and Refg is a good thing
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #12

We have a 2015 X19H that we bought last year, had a pop up for a very short time after seeing a hybrid while camping in Oregon! We actually looked at these because of the weight and towing capabilities as we needed one we could tow with the Honda Ridgeline, we did not want to to buy a bigger tow vehicle as the Ridgeline suits our lifestyle for everything else. Anyway love evertthing about the trailer so far except we are experiencing condensation under the bed ends in this cool Vancouver Island weather, no rain just cooler weather, just researching now if the dealer has a fix, lots of posting on line about this, we had vents open and bathroom vent open.

Alan.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote