Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

2012 X23B actual tank capacities???

I have a 2012 X23B. The capacities in the brochure are listed as: Black 22.5, Grey 29.5, Fresh 28.5 (including water heater, which is cheating if you ask me since I have no way to get to the water without draining it. It should just say 22 gal.)

When I crawl under my camper the tanks are stamped with different capacities.

Fresh same at 22 gal
Black 30 gal
Gray 47 gal

Are the listed capacities what it takes to get the full light on or are they just plain wrong in the brochure? Whatever they are, I sure seem to fill them up fast. My gray reads full before my fresh is out. Fresh 22.5, gray 29.5 (brochure). I don't see how that is possible.

I'm just trying to figure out if I have more room then the brochure or my guages are leading me to believe.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

I think the gauges are there more as a warning. If the full light comes on it might be between 2/3 and full otherwise there wouldn't be much of a warning. Same as the empty light would be useless if you were really out of water. I think your empty light could mean between empty and 1/3 tank.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #3

Cheap... um, inexpensive tank level monitors are notoriously inaccurate. I've had some experience with industrial chemical manufacturing tank level monitoring/control. The ultrasonic monitors are pretty accurate and RELATIVELY reliable. Even those have redundant systems in critical operations. If they installed that technology in your camper you wouldn't pay the price.

I actually chuckle a bit when people go on about their TT tank monitor problems. If I've recognized the technology correctly we used a similar system in some flume type in-line wastewater pipe monitoring. IN GENERAL, that style monitor system will just be problematic. There may be people who have great success, but it isn't like a full tank due to monitoring failure in an RV will cost you chemical plant multi thousand dollar environmental fines so the RV tank level monitors just may not work accurately all the time.

For the most part as the gray water system fills you should notice that the sink drains are slower to empty.

In my 2001 23b I can look into the toilet drain and see the level. As my wife seems to think that is a man thing, I do that for level checks. Some of the newer trailers I've seen don't seem to dump directly into the tank so unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon your viewpoint) that doesn't work for everyone. I do admit that every time I need to do the task I approach it with a somewhat shi**y attitude.

Maybe I'm wrong about the tank level monitoring technology in travel trailers? Who knows?? In my view it is something that is not very reliable. Sorry if my doom and gloom is inaccurate. (I don't think that it is though.) Sh*t happens.

Good luck. vic
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

There's "full and there is "full"

On my TT - the full sensor is on the top of the fresh water tank (pour out 2 cupfuls from the spigot and it goes to 2/3).......on the other hand, the full sensor on my gray and black water water is 2/3 up the side of the tank. You wouldn't want your black and gray tanks to read "full" when another cup of water would back solids up into the bowl now....would we????

Your situation seems a bit more exaggerated....(but not as much as you think)
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #5

Thank you for your replies