Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski2moro View Post
No, I’m not an attorney, I’m an engineer. I’m sharing my experience with the court system in the United States with you.
I was wondering why your posts made so much sense to me! :wink: I too am an engineer and have similar views as you do on this subject.

FWIW I believe you have wasted good time with your posts, however, as it is not what the OP wants to hear.

Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #32

Wish I had come here before buying a new one yesterday.
You have me worried now.
Jeez.

elc7593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elc7593 View Post
You have me worried now.
Jeez.
Not likely this would happen to your unit, hopefully this is a rare event. There seem to be many happy hybrid owners here.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by elc7593 View Post
You have me worried now.
Jeez.
No need to worry. This won't happen to you, I am sure. FWIW, my 2010 has no issues whatsoever and while I am now moving on, I can only hope my new non-Jayco RV is as worry-free and reliable as my little 17Z.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
No need to worry. This won't happen to you, I am sure. FWIW, my 2010 has no issues whatsoever and while I am now moving on, I can only hope my new non-Jayco RV is as worry-free and reliable as my little 17Z.
Wayne..... Could your new non-Jayco TT be a Rockwood???? Hmmm?? :dunno:
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Wayne..... Could your new non-Jayco TT be a Rockwood???? Hmmm?? :dunno:
Close .... Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS ...
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #37

UPDATE

After calling the CEO of Jayco and speaking with his secretary, we are now moving to the next step. I am taking the trailer back to the factory on Friday where the frame and axle manufacturers will take a look at the situation. Hopefully we can finally get to the root of the problem and resolve it.

Two weeks ago I towed the trailer to Madison Wisconsin and had some serious concerns on I-90 north of Chicago. There is a 30-mile stretch where they are doing road construction. For those 30-miles, there is a cement barrier, two travel lanes and another cement barrier, no emergency lanes. If there was a blow out on my trailer it would have been catastrophic. There is no place for the trailer to go in a situation but into the cement barrier or the vehicle in the next lane.

During the trip I was monitoring the tire temperatures and they were still extremely hot. The cupping and abnormal wear is still and issue. I would speculate before the camping season is done, I would need to put the fourth set of tires on the camper (keep in mind I just purchased this trailer new in January).

Hopefully this Friday is the ticket to resolving this once and for all. I have even built a model out of Legos to demonstrate what happens when the frame is not square and how that causes the unusual tire wear and heat. I will keep you all informed.
snappypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #38

Thanks Snappy.....

Nothin' like going to the top for answers!! :fingerscross:
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #39

UPDATE

After making a second trip to Jayco's factory here in Indiana, I must say I am very disappointed in how they are or are NOT standing behind their product. Jayco had arranged for Norco (the frame manufacturer) and Dexter (the axle manufacturer) to be at the factory. The guy from Norco was an incredible jerk, he never stopped pounding his chest on what a great product they manufacture. On a side note, Jayco stopped using Norco frames halfway though 2013 because of costs. The guys from Dexter were amazing. They jumped right into removing the wheels and brakes to test the axle for camber and toe in issues. According to their findings the axle is within specs.

So as of right now, nobody can figure out why I am burning through a set of tires about every 2000 miles. The decision was made to send me a set of radial tires when Jayco begins putting them on their new trailers within the next month. I am really hoping that will resolve my issue, but I honestly think it's just another hoop I am going to jump though and still have tire issues. Nobody at our meeting on Friday could give me an answer as to why the tires were cupping and wearing out at such an alarming rate. So, I will put the 4th set of tires on the trailer when I get them, and when those wear out I am going to demand a replacement trailer since the problem cannot be diagnosed or resolved.

I will say this, I have owned three campers previous to this one and I will NEVER again buy another Jayco product. They do NOT stand behind their products.
snappypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #40

Axle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappypics View Post
I bought my 2013 X17Z in January and have taken it on three trips. After the second trip I noticed some very unusual tire wear on the inside of both of the tires. I took it into the dealer to have it looked at and they determined that it was a bad Dexter Axle. They ordered a new axle and put it on, but I would have to wait for new tires until Dexter could determine if it was a manufacturing issue or a "transportation" issue.

On our third trip (first one with the new axle) we got about 100 miles when we had to stop to fill up. I inspected the tires and they were so hot, I could barely keep my hands on them. I thought maybe a brake was dragging from the swap, but both of the drums were cool to the touch. It had to be road friction causing the heat. I notified the dealer immediately and dropped the trailer off after the trip.

After examining the situation, they determined the second axle had the same problems as the first one. They contacted Dexter who's initial response was, they had already replaced the axle and they weren't going to do it again. Glad there is a 2 year warranty on Jayco products.

The dealer decided to swap my axle and tires from a new 2013 he had sitting on the lot to get me down the road since we had been dealing with this issue for a month. When they went to remove the axle from the new 2013 model, they noticed it was different from the axle on my 2013 X17Z. It looks like somewhere during the production of the 2013 models, Dexter reengineer the axle, and Jayco modified the frames to accept the new axles.

So, it's 4th of July weekend and the dealer was nice enough to give me a free rental for the weekend so I didn't have to scrap my trip to Put-In-Bay that has been scheduled for a year. Bad news is that my X17Z is still sitting at the dealer on jack stands with no axle underneath it and nobody really knows where to go from here.

I would advise any owners of Jay Feather hybrids to immediately check your tires for excessive wear on the insides. My personal opinion is Dexter might have had some issues with their axles and that is why they modified the design in the middle of the production of the 2013 models.

More details to come as they become available.
I have had the same issue. I just picked up my trailer and the dealer said everything checked out fine. I am still doubtful and will pass this information on to my dealer immediately.

glenan is offline   Reply With Quote