Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #1

2015 x17z - Losing fresh water from low point drain (newbie)

Newbie here, with a brand new (to me) 2015 x17z.

We have tried filling the fresh water tank through the non-city / gravity feed port a few times using an aquatainer and funnel. No more than 14 gallons has been added at this point. Everything seems OK, until we turn on the pump. At that point all the water shoots out quickly out of a low point (?) / overflow (?) pvc pipe protruding out the bottom that is located near the grey & black water ports.

What is going on here? We wondered if a valve, like those for the fresh water drain located elsewhere, might have blown off and needs to be reinstalled. Or if there is a hidden shut-off we are missing. Or?

A video is attached.

If anyone can help, we would love to hear from you! Thank you.
Attached Files
msibbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #2

There is either a small valve somewhere or it used to have a threaded cap on the end, to remove for drainage.
Easiest fix, if you don't locate a valve, is to just install a sharkbite fitting valve yourself. Can be gotten at a Lowes or online. Most likely 1/2" pex tubing.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Thank you Cosmik Debris. We actually have one of those very valves ready to install . Just wanted to verify before we install; did not want to plug something was supposed to remain as is.

For completeness sake, here are a couple pictures to better indicate the location and appearance of this drain.

If anyone has other information / advice on this particular issue, we sure appreciate your time. Otherwise we will probably install the valve and give it another try.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6002.jpg   IMG_6001 2.jpg  
msibbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

That looks like the water tank overflow line. In front of the tire you should have a low point drain valve that's where it is on our 17z. Sounds to me like perhaps you still have the water lines on bypass
Cavi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

I don't have a 17z, but I do have a low point drain just beneath my water heater. Underneath the trailer, there is just a hose hanging down (like you have) but inside the trailer, there is a t-valve (you pop it up to open and push it down to close). Perhaps you have a valve hiding somewhere inside your trailer?
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #6

Im sure that is the low point drains for the water pipes. I suspect your low points are in the same place as my htt. One of mine can be seen and the other is hide behind a suport member. Go into the bathroom, open the sink cabinet door. The lower half is paneled off, with a small cutout. There are two tee handled valves. Press them down to close, pull up to open. Therse are NOT turn valves.

I hated that panel on the sink cabinet as my hands barely fit, and could not see what I was doing. So I popped it out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

I am pretty sure that is not attached to your FW tank. It is coming down through the floor from inside the TT. Your FW tank is underneath the TT, and the overflow wouldn't generally route inside and then back out. So no, don't add a valve to it, find the valve already attached to it inside the TT.

Other proof is that it starts running once you turn the pump on. That means the pipe is attached to the pressure side of the water system, upstream of the pump. Your FW tank and it's overflow are non-pressurized. You don't say, but does water also come out when a hose is hooked to the city inlet? I suspect yes.

I agree with @Jagiven, it is most likely the low point drain on the pressure side of the system. If you look carefully inside the trailer, you should find a push-pull valve directly above this hose. It is probably hidden inside a cabinet with an access panel, as noted, probably under the bathroom sink based on the location relative to the blank tank, but maybe under the fridge area. Note the location well because you will need to access it every year when you winterize, and it will help in the sanitizing process as well.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #8

I have a 17Z. This is a low-point drain for draining the water out of your lines. Go inside the RV, in the bathroom, open the cabinet door under the sink. There's a small access opening in the bottom of that cabinet. You will see some black piping; right behind that piping is a T valve that operates by pulling straight up and down. You might have to feel around on the floor to find it because it's partially hidden by the black pipe. You open the valve by pulling up, close the valve by pushing down. It's a stiff valve so might take a bit of hand strength to push it closed. Once closed the water won't discharge out the RV. I normally only open this valve in the fall before winterizing, to ensure all the water from the rear lines is drained.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
I have a 17Z. This is a low-point drain for draining the water out of your lines. Go inside the RV, in the bathroom, open the cabinet door under the sink. There's a small access opening in the bottom of that cabinet. You will see some black piping; right behind that piping is a T valve that operates by pulling straight up and down. You might have to feel around on the floor to find it because it's partially hidden by the black pipe. You open the valve by pulling up, close the valve by pushing down. It's a stiff valve so might take a bit of hand strength to push it closed. Once closed the water won't discharge out the RV. I normally only open this valve in the fall before winterizing, to ensure all the water from the rear lines is drained.
17Z owner as well, I'd say by the video it's the bathroom drain as well. In mine there's a little opening inside the bathroom vanity on the bottom left with the drain valve
CraigBorden is offline   Reply With Quote