Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

2015 X23B Brake Issue

Hello,

We bought a 2015 X23B from the original owner. He told me when he bought it he had to have the brakes adjusted once right away and then they were good for the next thousand miles or so. I bought it and took it on a thousand mile round trip this past week and the brakes are pretty much non existent. I adjusted them approximately 10 clicks each wheel until I could hear the pads starting to touch the drums. It started out better but then they faded to as before. The next campground, I jacked the tires back up and adjusted the brakes until I could only spin the tires about two turns. It was better, but I could not even come close to locking them up on gravel. I towed this home 400 miles and they seemed to get worse or back to how they were before I adjusted them.

I just went out and hooked up to my Father's trailer and had no problem locking his tires up on blacktop, so I believe the problem is in the trailer.

Anybody see this before? I have never not been able to lock tires up before if trying to do so. This will hardly slow the truck with me manually engaging them at max braking power.

Thanks,
Dan
DanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #2

Only one good way to tell, and that is to open them up. If you have easy lube axles, it is possible that the rear grease seals have blown out and the brakes are contaminated, but that's only a guess.

ETA: You might also want to check the temperature of the hubs when running, I suppose you could be dragging and wearing out the pads?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Only one good way to tell, and that is to open them up. If you have easy lube axles, it is possible that the rear grease seals have blown out and the brakes are contaminated, but that's only a guess.

ETA: You might also want to check the temperature of the hubs when running, I suppose you could be dragging and wearing out the pads?
I swear posted something simular to this hours ago.

I also saw a post simular to this, but with regard of the 2015,'s have 7" drums instead of 10" drums like the older htts.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #4

The brakes on our 2014 x23b have never been able to lock up. They definitely slow us down but no lock up. Is has been the same on two different trucks.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #5

Sounds like to me you are confusing two different BRAKES adjustments here.... You can adjust your brakes like any normal brake setup by using the standard brake adjustment tool to adjust the shoes or pads to just touch the drum and then back off a turn...

the other brake adjustment has to do with the amount of DC VOLTAGE is applied from the Brake Controller to the Electric Brake Module on the wheel when the brake pedal is being applied. Mine is setup to around a 5 or 6 number setting... The higher the number setting the more prone the electric brakes will be sliding in the dirt or gravel roadway... I tested my electric brakes on a back dirt road at around 25 mile per hour speed and then set the brake controller setting to just starting to slid the trailer wheels. For me this ended up being a number 5 setting on my brake controller...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #6

dhinkle57 is right. Jayco was trying to shave some weight so they put on 7" brakes starting in 2014. When I went to have them adjusted, the dealer thought it was a mistake, but Jayco confirmed that was by design and felt no reason to change it.

The only time I can lock them up is on smooth concrete, gravel, dirt, or wet roads. That is after verifying full voltage at the brake (not the controller or wiring), and jacking up the wheel and adjusting it until I felt the resistance.

bottom line, the brakes are designed too small.
Mike_az_mn is offline   Reply With Quote