Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Angry 2015 x23b defects

Just got back from our first major trip with the new trailer.

CO detector doesn't work. Manual says the beeping indicates the unit is "expired" Supposed to last 7 years not seven weeks
Water pump cycles on and off when water is used and comes on intermittently when no water is running. Checked all over for dripping taps and leaks couldn't fine any. Anyone got any suggestions to fix this?
When looking at pump it isn't even installed level and the little screw to adjust the shut off pressure is behind the pump. The only way you can access it is with a bent screwdriver.

The finish on some of the cabinets can actually be rubbed off with your finger.

The edging on the table wasn't put on properly. It is too short and isn't inserted in the groove.

The latch on the exterior door, to hold attach the screen door to it, is installed crooked.

I will be taking it to the dealer at the end of camping season to fix, but just a little pi...d off. What the heck does PDI mean to Jayco?
Thanks for listening
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

That's what warranty is for. Too bad yours had all those problems, but some do. None of them seem major, just major PIAs. Let the dealer fix it up, and next trip you'll probably have no problems.

As far as the pump cycling with the water turned off, take a look at the pipes and fittings around the water heater. I had a slow leak at one the fitting on the water heater that made my pump cycle.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #3

As for the water pump cycling. There are a number of spots to check. Check the thumb fittings at each fitting, they do loosen up while traveling. Check the filter screen right before pump. Mine was fractured and leaked slowly. Check the outside shower valves are closed, Czech the low point drains, open and close them a few times. There might be some construction debris trapped in the valve, causing it to leak.

I've heard you never want to adjust the pump settings. As for the pump not being level it does not care, it will still pump.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

Sorry for all your problems, if you get these little things corrected you should be good to go. Mine is 5 years old now and needs nothing to be fixed or adjusted. I can't tell tell you how happy I am owning a Jayco product.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:56 AM   #5

Anyone expecting perfection when they consider buying an RV, might as well turn around and go find another hobby. We've owned 8, and they all needed some attention. Some way more than others. So always approach expecting the worse, and being surprised when it all works. Anything broke gives me the opportunity to make it better, so I like the challenge every now and then. I'm on my second fridge in less than a year, and it's bad now. So, no problem. Ditching it, putting a residential in and it'll be better than original.

Take the issues you have, learn from them, and improve it. You will never find an RV that doesn't need something done to it. I understand your frustrations, but compare your issues to somebody with a cracked frame, delamination etc. Yours are minor and easily fixed.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #6

OP admits he was simply "venting". We can expect that.

At least the dog was not kicked, right?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

Re: water pump cycling:

Please see the following post...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...tml#post302958

Likely, your low point drains are the culprit as one or both are not sealing closed. Locate them and test whether they click when the close. If not, perform the maintenance in the link above.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #8

I've purchased 3 Jaycos new. All 3 had annoying little finish issues that I took care of myself rather than leave it sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks during camping season.

It was things like misaligned screen doors, the bathroom door in our X20E that didn't stary latched, a piece of plastci molding around the bathroom was flapping in the wind, stuff like that.

Other than that our Jaycos have been very solidly build trailers that have given us many years of service and have held up well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Anyone expecting perfection when they consider buying an RV, might as well turn around and go find another hobby. We've owned 8, and they all needed some attention. Some way more than others. So always approach expecting the worse, and being surprised when it all works. Anything broke gives me the opportunity to make it better, so I like the challenge every now and then. I'm on my second fridge in less than a year, and it's bad now. So, no problem. Ditching it, putting a residential in and it'll be better than original.

Take the issues you have, learn from them, and improve it. You will never find an RV that doesn't need something done to it. I understand your frustrations, but compare your issues to somebody with a cracked frame, delamination etc. Yours are minor and easily fixed.
And why shouldn't we expect perfection?? I can understand component problems But poor workmanship should not be accepted Either by Jayco, the Dealer or the customer. From reading this forum it appears that far too many units leave the factory with defects in workmanship. And it appears Jayco expects the dealer to correct these defects.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #10

Things happen with anything built that is complex. How many issues do brand new stick built houses have during the first year? And they don't even have to go banging around down the road.

RVs are going to have issues. Just like a new home. It is what it is.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

You can expect perfection, but just stating the reality of it. Yes, I wish it was better, but it isn't, and it doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon. I've only seen it get worse. If you're not willing to work on or fix a rig, you'll probably find yourself in a pickle. After doing this all the years we have, perfection hasn't happened, whether it was spending north of $100k, or on what we have now. I don't want to spend time going back and forth to a dealer, and very few dealers have done things to my satisfaction. That's time and money if I have to take it to them. Therefore, we have learned to fix almost everything ourself, and make it better. It costs me a little money, but I'd rather do that and have control of the quality.

By all means, expect it. But, I still go with, expect the worst, hope for the best, and be pleasantly surprised when all is good.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebring96hbg View Post
Re: water pump cycling:

Please see the following post...

Likely, your low point drains are the culprit as one or both are not sealing closed. Locate them and test whether they click when the close. If not, perform the maintenance in the link above.
Broken link?

It says "page not found" for me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Things happen with anything built that is complex. How many issues do brand new stick built houses have during the first year? And they don't even have to go banging around down the road.

RVs are going to have issues. Just like a new home. It is what it is.
Although I do agree with your statement at least if I have issues with a new stick built house the Builder comes to me. I don't take the house to him. Even if a warranty is involved that warranty shouldn't have to be used to cover poor workmanship that was there before the product left the factory. As stated before I do understand and can accept defects in components that were installed in the TV A/C, Fridg, HW Heater Furnace, etc. Those items are covered by a warranty from the maker of those items.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

True. Getting your rig to a dealer, and having somebody follow you so you can get home after dropping it off, is a royal pain in the backside.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Broken link?

It says "page not found" for me.

Big oops there. It is now fixed in the post and below.

Thanks!
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #16

As was said "it is what it is" but its a shame it has to be that way. I do realize that it is most likely a small parentage that this happens to and most of us will accept those defects as we just don't want the hassle to make trips back and forth to a dealer. And we also know we can fix it better. The worst part is the dealer will back charge Jayco and Jayco will then reimburse the dealer for work at a higher price that Jayco paid someone to do correctly in the first place. And we as a customer are the ones paying for these costs of poor workmanship.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #17

The only way to "fix" this is for everyone to refuse to buy anything. That will force the manufacturers to step up their game. Of course that's not going to happen.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #18

I agree bedrck46 and DocBrown. Believe me, I wouldn't know how to act if it were like bringing home a new truck, and it was all perfect. Hopefully the OP will get the issues resolved like we all do, and enjoy the rig. That's what we all want.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #19

Thanks you all for your advice. I was just venting and luckily the dog wasn't there (just kidding).
What upsets me the most is I paid for PDI, no option not to pay. I believe that means pre delivery inspection and obviously wasn't done very carefully or if it was, they just didn't fix anything.
We will probably fix it all ourselves, aside from the dealer supplying new co detector and maybe some stain for the cabinets.
I am not a perfectionist by any means.
Trailers are not getting any cheaper. This is our fourth Jayco trailer. We are loyal to Jayco because our perception was their finish is superior to other manufacturers. I'm not so sure anymore. This is our fourth Jayco trailer
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote