Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Exclamation 2016 19XUD Battery Problem

This is my first TT so this may be something simple that I am missing. My trailer's electrical system works fine when I am plugged in, but doesn't work at all when not. Prior to starting my last outing everything seemed to work fine. This is a brand new trailer so I am assuming I am missing something. Any suggestions?
langem2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

First things first; you do realize that 120v accessories such as your microwave and a/c will never work when you're on battery? Is there an inline fuse somewhere near the battery that may be missing or blown? Are the wires to the battery hooked up properly? Is the battery charged? It should charge whenever the TT is plugged in to shore power.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

There aren't even any lights.
langem2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Certainly sounds like a discharged battery...

The battery is provided by the dealership and does not come with the new trailer. We had to pay extra for our battery...

Batteries are so important and we learned early on to always check on them when on shore power or not...

It hehoves one to get a mulitmeter. We measure across the battery terminals all the time checking them. When the battery is fully charged it will read 12.6-7VDC and when you first plug into Shore Power I always read across the terminals again and it should read 13.6VDC or whatever mode you smart mode converter/charger is in.

If it doesn't jump up to the higher DC VOLTAGE then the trailer is not charging your battery. I like to check this when first plugging in to make sure I haven't left my battery disconnect in the DISCONNECT position..

It is also necessary to have a working battery when you tow your trailer on a public roadway as the on-board battery serves as a 12VDC Power Source in the event the trailer becomes disconnected from your truck and is used to operate all of your trailer electric brakes which is activated when the break-away switch has be pulled. This is actually a DOT law to have a working battery if you are pulling down PUBLIC roads... Could affect your trailer insurance claim if known it did not have a battery connected.

There are fuses and a possible auto or manual reset relay in the wiring between the 12VDC Power Panel and the battery terminals. Two of those fuses are called REVERSE POLARITY that blows when you hook up the battery cables backwards...

You will need to start tracking down where the 12VDC coming from your on-board converter/charger stops when you have it turned on.

Need to learn all of these things before heading out... All of this should have all been discussed in your Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) when you picked up your new trailer...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

This happened with our brand new X23F last month. We were fine on Day 1 when we picked it up, but when I got home not even interior lights or radio would work on battery. Turns out it was a 30 amp fuse located right at the battery itself. It has blown out on me twice so far. I keep a few spares in my TV now.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
M&A

Happened to me the day after demo - found wire-nut underneath with wires not properly stripped. This is the battery to trailer buss connection.
Attached Thumbnails
WireNut.jpg  
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
This happened with our brand new X23F last month. We were fine on Day 1 when we picked it up, but when I got home not even interior lights or radio would work on battery. Turns out it was a 30 amp fuse located right at the battery itself. It has blown out on me twice so far. I keep a few spares in my TV now.
There is something wrong with your system if this keeps happening... Have the dealer check it.. warranty work..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote