Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenson View Post
This may be bad form, since I've posted this on another thread, but I'd like to finish my winterizing on my 23b, but I need some help. I'm in the middle of winterizing for the first time, and I've read I need to remove the water filter. I think I know where it is and what it looks like - near the pump and looks like a clear cylinder with mesh inside - but I don't know for sure. How do I remove this? Do I just remove the clear part, or the whole part that is inline with the tube? Also, if I take this out before I pump in the antifreeze, won't it just leak out there? I've read I need to put a tube in there, but I don't see a tube to replace that. Can you help this newbie?

Here's a picture of what I think is the water filter - I removed it from the line, but don't know how to remove it from the pump: [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
I don't think that is a filter just a large particle screen. Should be able to just pump the anti freeze and in the spring after flushing out the pink take out the screen and rinse in soap and water and reinstall. JMHO

Jeff

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #22

Where would I find the water filter, then?
2012 Ford SuperClub Wagon EXT
RBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #23

Not sure? Are you sure you have one? I had one in my old trailer and it was right by the water pump and it was a large clear plastic container like your picture only about 12" long with a cartridge inside.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #24

The water filer is under the kitchen sink and is in-line with the cold water to the faucet. It looks just like a filter one might have in their home fridge. It is 8, or so, inches long and you remove it by hand turning the plastic connecting nuts. Its not easy to get to and you may need the help of a wrench or two, but it it should be finger tight. Your dealer should have given you a clear plastic pipe that you put in place of the filter after it is removed.

Killbear Camper
2010 X23B
KillbearCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #25

Should I be able to see the filter without removing the bottom of the cabinet? I don't see a filter in there. Maybe I don't have one? (2012 X23B).
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #26

I wish I could take a picture but the trailer is stored up north! When I open the cupboards under the sink, there is a cut-out of the backing at the top right. Through this rectangular cut-out I can see the water lines going to the faucet at the sink. On the cold water line, there is the water filter. It is slighlty thinner than a pop can and a little longer. Because the backing is cut out, you shouldn't have to remove anything. I'll admit that the cut-out is a little small, so it takes some acrobatics to get in there to remove the filter. Do you see the water lines? Maybe the insert has been left in? The insert, which is roughly 6-8 inches long as connects with plastic nuts, is what you put in place of the filter when you winterize the trailer. Does it look like the insert is in there?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #27

This is from the owners manual. Sorry, no pictures.

WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM (IF SO EQUIPPED)
The water purification system is located under the kitchen sink. If the water supply
has not been used for some time, allow the water to flow for several minutes to
flush the system. When not in use, the water filter cartridge should be stored out of
freezing temperatures. RV antifreeze will damage the water filter cartridge.
The manufacturer has supplied a clear plastic bypass hose with fittings on either
end to replace the water filter cartridge when the RV is being winterized. This clear
plastic bypass hose is re-usable; store it when it is not in use.
Each new RV is winterized with RV antifreeze before it is shipped to the dealer. To
use the water purification system the clear plastic bypass hose must be removed
and the water filter cartridge installed.
Replacing the water filter cartridge
Replace the water filter cartridge at least once a year.
1. Drain the fresh water system.
2. Place a container beneath the water cartridge filter to catch any spillage.
3. Unscrew the fittings at the top and bottom of the water filter cartridge. Pull the
water filter cartridge down and out of the fittings.
Insert the new water filter cartridge and tighten the fittings securely by hand.
Dispose of the used water cartridge filter.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #28

Thanks all. I kept looking for the water filter, but could not find it. Finally called the dealer, and they said some 23bs don't have the filter package. So I just did the winterizing without removing anything. It's all good! Thanks! This is a great forum.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	5615

I wanted to double check myself before I winterize next week. This is a pic of my water heater. It is currently set like I would be going camping. To winterize I should turn the two knobs on the right to bypass the water heater. What about the one knob on the left?

Thanks for your help
2013 Jayco X23B
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #30

It looks a little different than my 2010 X23B layout. However, I think you're right. The valve on the pipe going into the heater and the valve on the pipe coming out of the heater should be switched off, or perpendicular to the flow of the pipe. Based on what I saw, it looks like the valve you said was on the "left" is on the pipe that connects the two other pipes. If this is correct, then this is the by-pass and it should be turned on, or parallel to the flow of that pipe. I fairly sure I'm right. It looks like the valves on the pipes to/from the heater are on and the bypass is off, which is camping mode.

I hope that helps,

KillbearCamper
2010 X23B