Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

23B Roof repair idea -- will this work?

I just bought a 2004 Jayfeather 23b with a rotted, leaky roof. I tore out the ceiling -- I've replaced a ceiling before on my pop-up and I found the water was coming in from the AC gasket. But the roof under the roof material is rotted -- well about 3/4 of it. I really can't go for 7 bills to buy new EPDM roofing material so I'm thinkng I can slice the roofing material a couple of inches from the side edges and along the back edge and roll it back 3/4 of the way and replace the plywood then roll the material back out and seal with Eternabond. Will this work? Anything else I'm missing in this plan? Thanks for your help.
jimsimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds plausible.
The only thing is I thought the roofing material was glued over the entire area?
It may not easily roll back out of your way.
You might also consider going to a roofing supply house and getting some residential rubber roofing if your initial trial fails.
I use it for building garden ponds. Seems like it's about $0.60/sqft. Maybe $0.40 for a little thinner material. Easy to work with.

It will be heavier weight wise than your thin membrane EDPM roofing.

Keep us posted with some pictures. Good luck, Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Sounds plausible.
The only thing is I thought the roofing material was glued over the entire area?
It may not easily roll back out of your way.
You might also consider going to a roofing supply house and getting some residential rubber roofing if your initial trial fails.
Thanks, Doug. It seems like the roofing material is completely separated from the underlying wood since the wood is completely rotted so I think it will be easy to roll back. About the residential rubber roofing: does that just come in black? I'd go that route if I can get it in a white or gray or something lighter.

Jim
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

This should work fine. Just make sure to clean the roofing material as the Eternabond instructions call for.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since you will have the roof framing structure exposed, confirm that the framing supporting the A/C unit hasn't "settled" (may have to reinforce it). In these earlier 23B's the weight of the A/C unit was a little on the heavy side for the roof design and allowed water to pool around it do to inadequate roofing pitch.

My BIL had a 2006 23B and had issues with the A/C leaking do to all the water collecting around it. We installed a new gasket, but IMO the A/C unit just didn't have adequate roof structure support or roof pitch.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Since you will have the roof framing structure exposed, confirm that the framing supporting the A/C unit hasn't "settled" (may have to reinforce it). In these earlier 23B's the weight of the A/C unit was a little on the heavy side for the roof design and allowed water to pool around it do to inadequate roofing pitch.

My BIL had a 2006 23B and had issues with the A/C leaking do to all the water collecting around it. We installed a new gasket, but IMO the A/C unit just didn't have adequate roof structure support or roof pitch.

Bob
Thanks bob -- I do have the ceiling off now, and will be taking the roof off this weekend (if the weather stays dry). It looks like the 'bones' of the roof structure is 1x2 wood with some 2x2 metal frame sistered against it by the AC. I think I'll add additional 1x2's sister joists to firm it up a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsimm View Post
Thanks, Doug. It seems like the roofing material is completely separated from the underlying wood since the wood is completely rotted so I think it will be easy to roll back. About the residential rubber roofing: does that just come in black? I'd go that route if I can get it in a white or gray or something lighter.

Jim

Jim,
Unfortunately, I have only bought it in black. You may check your local supply house. They may have those colors available.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

How did the repair go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsimm View Post
Thanks bob -- I do have the ceiling off now, and will be taking the roof off this weekend (if the weather stays dry). It looks like the 'bones' of the roof structure is 1x2 wood with some 2x2 metal frame sistered against it by the AC. I think I'll add additional 1x2's sister joists to firm it up a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi Jim, We are in the exact same situation with our 23b. How did your repair go?
alchemist32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

Just wanted to let you know how I repaired the roof issue in my 2005 23b. Unfortunately not covered by warranty - fault was found to be the A/C gasket - even though I had the trailer less than two years.

Be that as it may - I could not afford the $7,000 repair job. So I stripped the rotten panels down from the inside and removed all of the foam insulation. Had to scrape it - all I was left with was the top roof plywood which wasn't rotten.

I shored things up - especially around the A/C with 1 1/2" square aluminum tubing on 2' centers. Installed Owen' Corning Insulpink insulation to the roof plywood and used white Formica counter top for the interior. Took me two years on and off - but finally finished this weekend.

Shame so many people had a problem with this roof. I will never buy another camper with a flat roof again. The water sat around the A/C and worked its way in.
tyniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #10

The roof on my 23B leaked as well. It came with a Royal Tuff TPO roof. The dealer is now taking that off, replacing the wood and putting an EPDM roof on. I was told the TPO was up against a felt backing and when they put the EPDM on it will be glued right to the new wood. I hope this works.
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #11

Here is something you can think about.. cut all the rubber roof material off. After you have fixed the rotted wood take the RV in and have them spray box liner material on the roof.. like Line-x it should then be sealed for life.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote