Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

25e In the shop- what should I do

My dad and I purchased a 2005 Jayco 25e about 5 years ago. We have been camping in it a lot and it’s been great. My parents upgraded late this summer and I have the old trailer. We have had a issue with a soft floor in the rear and it went in to be repaired in September. Luckily it’s an insurance claim and they approved about $5800 to fix the leak and repair the floor.

I am really happy the insurance company is fixing it and would love to get another 7-10 years out of it. They almost totaled it and my wife and I are not ready to purchase a new one.

The place that’s working on it is moving so slow and they finally started the repairs last week. They sent me a picture and said that the noticed the frame was bent. Just a heads up and wanted to know how we wanted to proceed.

Hard to tell from the picture but what issues could this cause in the future? Is this a major concern or issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6432.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	46449
Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

Holy smokes that's a bend!

I am surprised that you are not burning through tires with a something like that so close to the axle. Those tires look pretty evenly worn. I would be worried about frame failure on the road.

If this was me, I would probably take it to an experience frame shop to see if they could straighten it out then weld on reinforcing steel plate across the section. Of course once you do that you could knock the axles out of alignment (again I'm shocked they are still IN alignment) so you might introduce new issues.

Or for a 14 year old trailer that has fully depreciated, with a bent frame and a rotted out floor, I might just scrap it and start looking for something else.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

If you call your insurance company for the bent axle (not knowing if it is covered) they may just scrap the TT. I would bet it's worth maybe $6k to $7k in good shape. If they give you the $5800 I would take it and use it on another newer heavier TT.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote