Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

4Runner as a tow vehicle

I'm curious if anyone out there has used a 5th generation 4Runner (2015 in my case) as a tow vehicle for a Jayco 2-axle X19H. If not this specific model, any two-axle trailer with a dry weight equal to about 3,900 pounds. Will the 4Runner be able to pull this trailer without too much effort?
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Your 4Runner is rated to tow a maximum of 4700 pounds. If the trailers dry weight is 3900, that leaves 800 lbs for everything that goes in or on it. There will be more folks chiming in on some other aspects of it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

I tow with a 2014 4Runner. Trailer is a 195RB with a gross weight of 3750. I wouldn't tow anything heavier. I haven't seen any 2 axle that I would tow with it, much as I would like to. BTW, I use and Andersen WDH, which works really well with my combo.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

Thank you for responding.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #5

We don't have your combo of TT and TV but we towed a 195 with a Honda Ridgeline. It towed well but on the mountain grades that are in your area I would have preferred a little better gearing.. The uphills near Cloudcroft were challenging.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #6

4runner & Fj

We pull our Jayco 19xud (Jay Feather 7 with axles flipped for clearance) with our 5th gen 4 runner (TRD) and with our FJ (both are rated @ 5,000 lbs). We use weight distribution equip and sway control (WDH) on both vehicles, both pull fine going to Cloudcroft, NM. I keep it @ 65 mph - I have a lot of experience pulling trailers, so far no problem. I wont pull anything bigger - FJ has more low end torque than the 4 runner, other than that - it is not overkill on power side: however, both do fine.
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #7

Jay Feather X17

Based on the two comments I received, I ended up buying the X17 over the X19.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #8

Wonder if I can do an axle flip on that 17. Well, I’m pretty sure I can, but will it handle safely?
Old 05-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Wonder if I can do an axle flip on that 17. Well, I’m pretty sure I can, but will it handle safely?
Several of us here have the Baja edition trailers with the factory lift. They can be made to handle just fine with the proper hitchwork.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:47 AM   #10

Axle Flip

2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja is a very nice camper - like the Baja package. We don't do a lot of off road cross country driving or logging roads etc. We had Camping World flip the axles after we took it home the first time - took it back for the axle flip project - not factory, but they did a great job. Camping World said it was very common to flip axles - surprised this one came from the factory not flipped? Camping World did our previous 16 ft camper single axle (also changed to 15-inch tires - didn't like the smaller 14-inch on a single axle) - both pull great. The Jay Feather 7 (UVW 3530 -sofa slide gives more room in the main area that we lost from the 7 ft width) is a little less wind drag, no need for the extended mirrors on the 4 Runner, (less wind resistance and easier to see around with 4 runner mirrors)- I think the 19 is easier to pull due to the less wind drag. other than that, don't really notice any big difference with the <500 lb heavier 19 ft camper. The extra clearance with the axle flip is great for the disperse camping in the mountains - use the FJ in the mountains and the 4 Runner for mainly highway "developed" campground trips. No campfires in New Mexico due to the COVID-19 out break, going to try the forest service approved propane fire pit (called ahead for approval). We shall see----
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Based on the two comments I received, I ended up buying the X17 over the X19.
Good call. Your 4Runner should do fine with that. Just remember that you'll need to pack light both in the camper and in the tow vehicle. You'll likely bump into cargo limits in the 4Runner quite a bit. I tow an x17z with a 2015 Pathfinder (5,000 towing limit) and my wife calls me the weight nazi. Unless it's a really light item, if we don't need it, we don't bring it. If all four members of my family are in the car, it takes nothing to get to our cargo limits in the Pathfinder.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #12

2007 4-runner with 19H and x23b

I had a 19H for several years, and the 4-runner did great with it (of course a good anti-sway hitch like the equalizer I had makes a huge difference).

I upgraded to a x23B, and upgraded my hitch for the greater weight and have the same equalizer hitch. (well almost the same hitch, the dealer sold my old one to the people who bought my old trailer not realizing I gave it to them to configure for my new trailer... they gave me a used replacement).

In any case, the x23B is pushing it. The brakes work harder, and the Sway control does the best it can (part of the problem is Jayco put smaller brakes on the x23 that year). Fortunately I live in almost flat Minnesota and go to Wisconsin, MI, and the Dakotas so no hills to worry about.

If I lived back in AZ, CO, Ca, or anywhere with real long mountains to climb, I doubt it would work out, however the 19H would have been fine (just don't be in a hurry). The 19H was a great match for the 4-runner with a good equalizer hitch.
Mike_az_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoscience Guy View Post
We pull our Jayco 19xud (Jay Feather 7 with axles flipped for clearance) with our 5th gen 4 runner (TRD) and with our FJ (both are rated @ 5,000 lbs). We use weight distribution equip and sway control (WDH) on both vehicles, both pull fine going to Cloudcroft, NM. I keep it @ 65 mph - I have a lot of experience pulling trailers, so far no problem. I wont pull anything bigger - FJ has more low end torque than the 4 runner, other than that - it is not overkill on power side: however, both do fine.
I just got home a few hours ago after purchasing the used X17Z in El Paso. I wasn't sure the brake controller was working. I installed the Redarc, an expensive, unobtrusive model. Question since you too have a 4Runner: Shouldn't the trailer brakes work if the trailer plug is attached to the factory receptacle on the back end of the 4Runner? I observed the dimly lit red light when I applied the brakes, but when I let the vehicle and trailer coast, pushed the "apply trailer brake only" mode, it didn't seem to slow down at all.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

Hmmm interesting. My inertia brake controller plugged into the connector under the dash, and the standard trailer plug worked fine for my 19h. I had to upgrade the hitch when I went to my x23b so I don't know what they may have changed. I have noticed that if your plug gets dirty, or isn't connect all the way, it can lose some power to the brake. Your unit should detect an open loop to the brakes, but I am unfamiliar with the Redarc unit. My brake unit displays the voltage going out as well. I just wish it showed amps with it.

Try checking your connectors, maybe even some contact cleaner, but it sounds like you need some more troubleshooting. You can jack up your trailer and have someone apply the trailer brake while you spin the tire, you should know quick. Otherwise pull the wheel off and put a meter on the brake connector while brakes are applied.

Good luck. Let us know if you find the problem.
Mike_az_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_az_mn View Post
Hmmm interesting. My inertia brake controller plugged into the connector under the dash, and the standard trailer plug worked fine for my 19h. I had to upgrade the hitch when I went to my x23b so I don't know what they may have changed. I have noticed that if your plug gets dirty, or isn't connect all the way, it can lose some power to the brake. Your unit should detect an open loop to the brakes, but I am unfamiliar with the Redarc unit. My brake unit displays the voltage going out as well. I just wish it showed amps with it.

Try checking your connectors, maybe even some contact cleaner, but it sounds like you need some more troubleshooting. You can jack up your trailer and have someone apply the trailer brake while you spin the tire, you should know quick. Otherwise pull the wheel off and put a meter on the brake connector while brakes are applied.

Good luck. Let us know if you find the problem.
Thanks. I had considered jacking up the trailer like you suggested. We'll see.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #16

Since you have a hybrid similar to mine, by chance do you have these cone-shaped things hanging from the ceiling each end of the trailer? They’re right next to the hole that the tent support rod sticks into. Anyway, I’m hoping you can tell me what they might be used for.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Since you have a hybrid similar to mine, by chance do you have these cone-shaped things hanging from the ceiling each end of the trailer? They’re right next to the hole that the tent support rod sticks into. Anyway, I’m hoping you can tell me what they might be used for.
Those are 12-volt outlets for bunk end fans. The cone should have a plug in the middle that looks like an one-inch audio plug. It works with fans like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU70X7M..._F3sZEbDV6KS0C
Old 05-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #18

Thank you! I didn’t have a clue. By the way, if you should ever have problems with your refrigerator or furnace, both have a secret way to reset. For the furnace, if it’s an Atwood, there’s a reset switch all the way at the back left side. The refrigerator was a little more complicated. I had an “n” error code. This link explains how to remedy that problem.

https://thenorcoldguy.com/blog/norco...-power-board-/
Old 05-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #19

FWIW, we towed with a Highlander previously, with the tow package. 2015 I think it was. We were pretty surprised when we learned it had a greater towing capacity than the 4Runner. It was fine for the most part with our Hummingbird 17FD. We moved up to a F-150 and are much, much happier with the towing experience.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #20

We pulled a 2018 x23B with our 2014 4runner limited. The numbers said we were good but I added airbags which helped a lot. It pulled hard and after a season, the front shocks were leaking badly at 60K miles. $3500 to replace the factory Toyota stuff so we ended up trading it in for a Tundra, then upgrading to a Whitehawk 29BH. I think if you were in the South or Midwest with the East Coast hills you would be fine, but that V6 was screaming with the bigger camper.
eodcoduto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4runner, x19h