Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #21

BTW, buy 2 packages of clips.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #22

Currently staying in my 16xrb to stay isolated from my family since I was still going in to work until last week (utility worker), and we had several cases at work creating a high possibility of virus exposure to me. I have a memory foam pad on top of the mattress, and lots of blankets.... With the furnace, all has been good.... Even with a few nights in the upper 20s, and most in the 30s.
I am a seasoned tent camper and backpacker so maybe I'm just a bit more adaptable on what's comfortable 😁.

One important point.... This sounds crazy, but is really important..... Leave the 2 side windows unzipped a couple inches at the top in cold weather... The humidity in the air will want to condense on the ceiling of the tent.... A small amount of ventilation helps alleviate this.
If not, you may find it rains on you!
Happy camping!
Navig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navig8r View Post
Currently staying in my 16xrb to stay isolated from my family since I was still going in to work until last week (utility worker), and we had several cases at work creating a high possibility of virus exposure to me. I have a memory foam pad on top of the mattress, and lots of blankets.... With the furnace, all has been good.... Even with a few nights in the upper 20s, and most in the 30s.
I am a seasoned tent camper and backpacker so maybe I'm just a bit more adaptable on what's comfortable 😁.

One important point.... This sounds crazy, but is really important..... Leave the 2 side windows unzipped a couple inches at the top in cold weather... The humidity in the air will want to condense on the ceiling of the tent.... A small amount of ventilation helps alleviate this.
If not, you may find it rains on you!
Happy camping!
Are you keeping both ends down? If you are on your own, it wouldn't make sense to use both ends.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourkids&abeagle View Post
I have a 2018 X23B and tried to use my PUGs for the first time the weekend before they kicked everyone out. Anyway, trying to get the top edge clipped to the little lip of the rain gutter across the top of the front tent bed was a royal PITA. Then I tried a 2" Velcro strip which held pretty well until I took it down in the morning and the PUG side peeled off and stayed velcro'ed to the strip across the front of the trailer above the bed.

So now that the clips don't work and Velcro doesn't work, how do you guys attach the top edge? Otherwise I have the straps all gathered to s-hooks, so I'm good once I get the top edge fastened.

Thank you.
Chris
Chris,

Look into PUG EARS:
https://www.sunfastproducts.com/shop...ion=PUG%20EARS
Old 06-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #25

I must say something about the video. If it took her husband and two boys over an hour to put on the PUGs they really need help! The first time I did it I spent an extra 10 minutes and I didn't even look at the instructions on how they went on (without the PUG EARS). I do like that kit though!!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:01 AM   #26

Thanks, Firebug! I just ordered some. Appreciate the link!
Chris
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #27

I cut reflectix inserts for all of the bunk end windows and leave them in almost all the time. They help with reflecting away the heat of the sun but I also noticed a difference in the cold nights. You don’t get the cold feeling on your head feet and side (wife makes me sleep in the outside)

I also installed the reflectix under the mattress, more to see if it would help with condensation. It didn’t but I think it did help with retaining heat.

I also got a Small usb chargeable battery operated fan To help move the warm air into the bunks from the middle of the trailer.
Brancozorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:47 PM   #28

Pugs

Do these help to reduce moisture in bunk ends when it’s humid and/or rainy and cold? We had so much moisture inside our bunk ends it looked like rain. Would dry them at least a couple times per night. Left windows open for venting. Nothing worked. Was just too wet and cold outside and furnace just added to the temp differential. Couldn’t get much of anything dry. Now have spots of mold on bunk ends. Been a tough summer...nothing "normal".
Toontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:46 AM   #29

What I found was the moisture was on the outside of the bunk ends between the bunk and pop up gizmo. ��
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #30

Small ceramic heater is all we used in our Coleman pop-up. Kept us toasty at 32°, no mattress heater either.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Do these help to reduce moisture in bunk ends when it’s humid and/or rainy and cold? We had so much moisture inside our bunk ends it looked like rain. Would dry them at least a couple times per night. Left windows open for venting. Nothing worked. Was just too wet and cold outside and furnace just added to the temp differential. Couldn’t get much of anything dry. Now have spots of mold on bunk ends. Been a tough summer...nothing "normal".
I have never used Pugs. We also do most of our cooking outside. If taking showers, make sure the vent is open and the fan is on.

Few things we do that seams to work for us.
  • Bathroom vent is always (year round) cracked open, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch.
  • Bunk side windows are cracked open, 2 bunks, 4 windows. We pull the two zippers up to the highest point, then pull each zipper back 2 or so inches.
  • Electric heat, If possible we use a ceramic heater or the heat strip int he AC most of the time. Not sure if this helps or not, but we do not have condensation issues.
Things I have found that cause issues;
  • When the weather is not good, and we socialize in the HTT with friends and family, we get a lot of moisture. We tend to open a few side windows to encourage the moisture to leave the HTT.
  • Hot water, showers, boiling water, probably dishes too, put a lot of moisture into the air. We are old backpackers, so we tend to cook and do dishes outdoors, which eliminates a lot of moisture. Our shower is really to small. If possible we use the CG shower facilities, again eliminates a lot of moisture.
It took us a season to figure out what works for us.

No matter what, I always open up our HTT when we get home to make sure it is fully dry.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #32
CAG

Most trailer documentation mentions inside moisture issues. Always keep a window or vent slightly open. Even in cold weather (especially in cold weather) it will be less humid outside than in if you don't vent the trailer. In snowy weather you will find the inside humidity will go to 100% pretty fast.

Many use dehumidifiers which is good but leaving some ventilation is pretty easy and effective.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #33

Using the furnace adds more moisture to the interior air. We use an oscillating ceramic heater as much as possible.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #34

The propane furnace is a sealed system and vents 100% or the fumes, burnt gas, moisture from the flame outside. If it does not do so then it will poison you or set off the CO monitor.

That said, if you have electricity why not use it instead of the noisy LP gas furnace. The moisture inside comes from normal daily activities.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
The propane furnace is a sealed system and vents 100% or the fumes, burnt gas, moisture from the flame outside. If it does not do so then it will poison you or set off the CO monitor.

That said, if you have electricity why not use it instead of the noisy LP gas furnace. The moisture inside comes from normal daily activities.
Sorry, long day today.

What I was trying to say is that we experience more interior condensation if we use our furnace vs. our electric heater, so we use the electric most of the time.