Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

Alaska in an X23B

The wife and I left Kentucky on May 15. Traveled 10,253 miles in 52 days to Alaska and back. Camper performed flawlessly the entire trip. Only issues were tires. Had to repair two slow leaks and replace one worn out tire. Those gravel roads were pretty hard on tires. Be prepared for high gas prices in Canada. Hit every kind of weather you can imagine. Lost count of the number of bears we saw. Both black bears and grizzly. Here are some pics

Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Awesome trip. We flew out in 2008 and rented a motor home. We were there for 20 days. Gas prices’s were insane. The highest prices we saw was $5 something a gallon. My cousin who lives there said in the small villages you can see $10+/gallon. Someday I would like to go back and spend a lot more time. We were there over summer solstice and we saw every type of weather too.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #3

Traveled Alaska in 08 and 11, both times renting motorhomes out of Anchorage. Averaged about 1800 miles traveled each trip with about 16 days driving. Considered doing the drive "to Alaska" from the lower 48 but decided against after talking to several fellow rv'ers we met on our trips. Heard all the war stories about breakdowns, bad roads, and high prices while driving across Canada. Then there is the moment you realize that its time to turn south and drive all the way back to Kentucky. Your mileage was probably about the same as ours for miles actually in Alaska with the rest of it to and from.

We may still do the drive but will cut it in half by signing up with our rental company to drive one of their new Mhomes from the factory in northern Indiana. They will cut you a pretty good deal with an ample allowance of time to do the drive. Then when its time to go home, its a one way flight and home in 24 hours. No wear and tear on your personal tow vehicle and TT.

Would you do it again?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Wow, TN to AK! You are an intrepid pair. I particularly like the "mud" photo.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

Wow! 10K+ miles! I thought our trip from NJ to Utah and back was epic.

I'm glad you enjoyed the X23B and it reaffirms that we selected the right trailer!

Joe
Old 08-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Highest gas price we paid was $7.00 a gallon in the Yukon Territory on the Alaskan highway. We actually came back via a different route as much as possible. The several days getting from Ky to Canada and from Canada back to Ky were the worst. Long travel days with not much to stop for. I like the idea of driving a rental from the factory to its Alaskan destination and then flying back. This was our second trip to Alaska so probably wont do it again. This winter we are thinking of taking our first snowbird trip to the Southwest. We have both commented how comfortable the camper was in regards to sleeping and relaxing at the end of the day.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

Between our 2 trips to Ak, I think we have driven on the majority of all of the paved highways in the whole state estimated at about 5000. Absolutely stunning views around every turn and you're allowed to park [overnight] anywhere you aren't blocking traffic and on private property with permission. Puts a pucker in your step to see a moose or grizzly walk past your RV as you sit on a pull out in the middle of nowhere eating breakfast and watching the sun rise.

Wow, I may have talked myself into booking another trip.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

Boy, when I drive the coast from Bellingham to Pismo Beach, Ca. And back in 6-7 weeks and drive just 4,000 miles I'm done! Don't think I'm up to a trip like that but wish I could. I just get tired of driving that much. My hats off to you my friend.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brodt View Post
Highest gas price we paid was $7.00 a gallon in the Yukon Territory on the Alaskan highway. We actually came back via a different route as much as possible. The several days getting from Ky to Canada and from Canada back to Ky were the worst. Long travel days with not much to stop for. I like the idea of driving a rental from the factory to its Alaskan destination and then flying back. This was our second trip to Alaska so probably wont do it again. This winter we are thinking of taking our first snowbird trip to the Southwest. We have both commented how comfortable the camper was in regards to sleeping and relaxing at the end of the day.
Looks like you hit some wet / cold / messy weather . . . did you sleep in the fold down bunk or stay buttoned up inside on one of the convertible sleepers?
10K Equalizer; Teshonka P3
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #10

Actually, we had wonderful weather during the entire trip with the exception of about 3-4 days. Mid 60's in the the day and 40's -50's at night. In the picture with the mud and rain we were on the "Top of the World Highway" between Chicken AK and Dawson City, Yukon. We turtled in that night. On the way up from KY on a couple of the 400 mile days we stayed at Walmart parking lots and we turtled in on those nights as well.