Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Another bike rack question

We are picking up a new, old stock, 2015 Jayco 16XRB on monday. We went and looked it over this morning, and inquired about options for carrying bikes. The sales rep said it was no problem if we had a hitch mount bike rack, that they could install a bolt on bumper receiver that would hold up to 300 lbs, which the 4" tube bumper was rated for. I know lots of folks say "don't do it", but, if Jayco recommends it, and the dealer does as well, what issues would I need to watch out for?

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

My 4" tube bumper on my 2016 is only rated for 100#. I would not install a bike rack on that bumper if you care about your bikes, your trailer, or the people driving behind you. If you do I would start a betting pool as to how long it will last before you see your bikes sliding across the freeway on your first trip.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Wait... are they talking about bolting a class 3 receiver to your FRAME, or just a little adaptor to your bumper?

If they are telling you that an adaptor on your bumper is rated for 300 lbs, and your bumper is rated for 300 lbs, GET IT IN WRITING. I promise you that your little 4" bumper can NOT hold 300 lbs, let alone bikes on a rack that bounce up and down.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

One suggestion I can make is to beware of the suspension style bike rack. We just lost two brand new mountain bikes, when rough roads make the rack pin come loose. Our next rack will be the one like the Swagman XTC, which has both wheel and frame locks. I would use the hitch provided and not spend money on a bumper rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrowolf67 View Post
We are picking up a new, old stock, 2015 Jayco 16XRB on monday. We went and looked it over this morning, and inquired about options for carrying bikes. The sales rep said it was no problem if we had a hitch mount bike rack, that they could install a bolt on bumper receiver that would hold up to 300 lbs, which the 4" tube bumper was rated for. I know lots of folks say "don't do it", but, if Jayco recommends it, and the dealer does as well, what issues would I need to watch out for?

David
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

This is what Jaycos manual says for your trailer.

REAR BUMPER
The rear bumper of your RV is not designed to carry cargo. Items that extend beyond the bumper OR weigh over 100 lbs. (45kg) will place undo strain on the bumper.
The 100 lb. bumper capacity includes the weight of the spare tire that may have been attached at the factory.
NOTE: Some items may fall within the given weight range, however, can still cause damage. Over time, weight added to the bumper will cause damage from the motion created while traveling. In addition, extra weight behind the axle may reduce the hitch weight (leading to adverse handling conditions from wind gusts and/or passing traffic).
Old 04-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

Jayco has an option on some trailers for a cargo accessory receiver. What is that rates for? Wondering if that would support a rack for bikes?
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, pretty much assured me my instincts were more accurate than the sales rep's statement. Glad I told them to wait till Monday when we pick it up.

So, that being decided, is there a frame mount receiver that would fit this model? We may just stuff them inside for the first trip or two, but, would like an external option eventually. I will be towing with a Xterra, which has a roof rack, way on up there, lol.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrowolf67 View Post
Thanks everyone, pretty much assured me my instincts were more accurate than the sales rep's statement. Glad I told them to wait till Monday when we pick it up.

So, that being decided, is there a frame mount receiver that would fit this model? We may just stuff them inside for the first trip or two, but, would like an external option eventually. I will be towing with a Xterra, which has a roof rack, way on up there, lol.

David
Personally, I would locate a welding shop in your area and have them custom build a hitch. They are much better welders than the dealer. It will also have all the necessary reinforcement needed, to make it rock solid.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

You may want to look at something like this on Amazon, Stromberg Carlson (CC-275) Bike Bunk for Cargo Tray. It mounts on the aframe behind the propane bottles.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #10

Strongly suggest anyone hauling stuff on the back go only with the frame mount class 3. Have a buddy who put the bolt on bumper deal on his TT and broke welds off the cheap 4 inch bumper sending the bumper, bikes, and spare tire into traffic, caused major mishap on the interstate. Got himself into hot water with "the man" over insecure load, not a good scene.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

We travel with a 4 bike rack on the bumper which has been reinforced via welded supports as well as a tie-down on the rack itself. I don't like it as it is an absolute disaster trying to get the bikes on the rack positioned in the right manner so they all fit.

Friends of ours travel with a bike rack described here and love it Arvika - Home It mounts on the tongue over the propane tanks. So this year, I bought the 2 bike model and will continue to use the rear mount for our other 2 bikes. Although the Arvika models are pricey, that comes with convenience and piece of mind.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

If your bikes are above "dept store" quality, most likely you have quick release wheels. Use a 2x4 to make a rack for the floor of your trailer using fork mounts. Then wrap a bungee around the back wheels to stabilize them.

I do something similar to haul our bikes in the PU bed.

Fork Mounts
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote