Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Another X17Z de-winterizing question

Sorry ... I know there are a lot of these on the forums, but I haven't been able to find the answer. I'm sure it's out there. Please take pity on a poor de-winterizing newbie.

I winterized last week, but have a trip planned for a couple of weeks from now. If it's not too cold, we're going to de-winterize and then winterize again when we return. When I winterized, a neighbor walked me through the process. I was just thinking about it, and realized there's one area where I'm a little fuzzy. My neighbor closed all of the valves on the water heater. When de-winterizing, do I just open all of them? Here's a pic:

Old 11-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

I would first open the bypass valve (vertical riser) between the two pipes and flush the system of antifreeze. Then open the supply and return valves at the water heater, I would also flush out water through the tank, just to ensure there is no residual antifreeze near the valves. When flushing I open the drain plug (outside) at the bottom of the water heater just to keep from adding so much water that it dilutes the antifreeze. When I feel the antifreeze is out of the system I then close the bypass valve.

RV antifreeze is safe to consume, I just don't want to, so I try hard to flush it all out before using the water system.

Personally I keep the bypass valve open all winter, just to ensure no fluid settles in that area and potentially freezes. In reality it should not be an issue, as RV antifreeze is rated to -50 to -75 degrees. Most of us do not see that kind of temperatures.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would first open the bypass valve (vertical riser) between the two pipes and flush the system of antifreeze. Then open the supply and return valves at the water heater, I would also flush out water through the tank, just to ensure there is no residual antifreeze near the valves. When flushing I open the drain plug (outside) at the bottom of the water heater just to keep from adding so much water that it dilutes the antifreeze. When I feel the antifreeze is out of the system I then close the bypass valve.

RV antifreeze is safe to consume, I just don't want to, so I try hard to flush it all out before using the water system.

Personally I keep the bypass valve open all winter, just to ensure no fluid settles in that area and potentially freezes. In reality it should not be an issue, as RV antifreeze is rated to -50 to -75 degrees. Most of us do not see that kind of temperatures.
So ... plug in the city water hose, open the bypass valve, and then flush the antifreeze out of the system by opening each tap one by one until there's no pink? Then, open the other two valves on the water heater and let it fill up? Is that all correct?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #4

As Jagiven says. But I am concerned that your bypass valve is closed. Presumably it was open when you winterized to get the AF into the hot side, but you would usually leave it open until done dewinterizing to get the AF back out of the hot side.

In general, I just remember that all 3 valves should be pointing in the same direction at all times; - - - in service and ||| in bypass.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
As Jagiven says. But I am concerned that your bypass valve is closed. Presumably it was open when you winterized to get the AF into the hot side, but you would usually leave it open until done dewinterizing to get the AF back out of the hot side.

In general, I just remember that all 3 valves should be pointing in the same direction at all times; - - - in service and ||| in bypass.
Okay. I'll go out and open that valve. Thanks. I assume I leave them in that position (all facing |||) while de-winterizing, and then when there's no pink coming out of the faucets, I should change them all so that they're _ _ _ ?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Okay. I'll go out and open that valve. Thanks. I assume I leave them in that position (all facing |||) while de-winterizing, and then when there's no pink coming out of the faucets, I should change them all so that they're _ _ _ ?
Exactly, or as Jagiven advised, run some fresh water through the lines before opening the valves to get any residual AF out. To be honest though, if it's a short trip I wouldn't bother opening up the hot tank. Just boil a couple of kettles of water for the dishes and shower in the facilities if they got 'em. Saves a couple of steps putting it back to bed.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

You can recover most of the antifreeze by placing a 5 gal. bucket under your low point drains. Open them and then open your hot & cold faucets and the antifreeze will drain in the bucket and it will be undiluted so you can use it again. Close the low points and now you just flush out the little that's left in the lines and your good to go. If you do this you'll never need to buy more than a gallon and better than putting it down the drain.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #8

Thanks, everyone!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #9

This is an easy reference picture. Sounds like your on the right track!
Attached Thumbnails
bypass.jpg  
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote