Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Any issue with putting wet bunks in?

Hi,

We're thinking of getting an expandable, the x23B in particular, and we're just trying to figure out if you put wet bunk ends in, does the bedding and/or inside of the trailer get wet too? I don't see how it can't when you're lifting it up - at least with a popup it's horizontal and you can carefully put the canvas in to minimize getting anything else wet.

Just trying to see if this is an issue - we didn't see anything about this anywhere on the internet either, just that if you put them away wet open them up when you get home to dry them out.

thanks!
Designer Women is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Okay, I will bite..what the heck is a wet bunk?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

I think the question was in regards to closing the canvas pop outs (hybrids) when wet, like after a rain. Will the bedding inside get wet.
I don't know the answer.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
M&A

16XRB here, although we try to avoid it, we've put them up in a fair rain prior to leaving a site and no water got inside that we noted. I just made sure to open back up ASAP to dry out. At least on ours, outside is still out even when closed.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I think the question was in regards to closing the canvas pop outs (hybrids) when wet, like after a rain. Will the bedding inside get wet.
I don't know the answer.
Well thats a relief. I though it had to do with not getting to the restroom quick enough at night...
Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Similar to a pop-up, I presume. No, the bedding shouldn't get wet. We put our pop-up away several times wet when we had too. Rain, dew, etc. As long as everything is zipped up, then you shouldn't have trouble with water intrusion.

Like you said though, you definitely want to pop it back out when you get home and let it dry off. The newer fabrics are much more resistant to mildew, but they will mildew if left wet for long periods of time....just like anything else.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #7

It really doesn't hurt anything, as long as you open it up and let it dry thoroughly when you get home or to your next destination.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #8

Ours was always wet. We had to open it all up, weather permitting, when we got home. We also started to get de-lamination on the front door. It was a 1 year old Forest River we dumped to get our current Jayco..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #9

Unlike the popup I had, the canvas on a x23b is fully connected at all places. When you folded up the old popup, you had to unfasten the canvas from the bed slide and place it on top of the bed. If you didn't fold the canvas carefully, you would get water all over the bed. In the 23b, that just doesn't matter because everything is fully sealed all the time. But as others have said, if you close it up wet, you will want to open it back up to air out, or mold will grow.
Retired - 1996 Coleman Cheyenne Pop-Up
RIP Chloe, a very good dog - 9/15/01-12/02/17

johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #10

A couple of things to note, packing wet bunk ends is not nearly as big a deal as it's made out to be. The canvas is not canvas like an old canvas tent or the sides of a pop-up. I had a canvas tent, and a pop-up. Really a pain to pack up wet. Days to completely dry out. The bunk ends on a hybrid are covered in vinyl. The water cannot soak in. Hybrid bunk ends are a different animal than pop-up beds and comparing them is apples to oranges.

If you pack in the rain you'll have to open the beds when you get home. Just use an old bath towel to get the remaining water off. They'll dry in an hour or less. If you are packing wet but it's not raining, just towel them off and close up. More than likely they will be completely dry when you return home.

The canvas is fully attached to the bed wall so you would not get any water on the mattress or bedding.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

When we had our pop-up and we would pack up to leave if it was wet from rain or such we would turn the mattress over so the vinyl would be up. then we got home we would open the camper, dry the vinyl side of mattress and dry it out for a day or so.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #12

Folding it up wet happens to me quite frequently because I camp a lot on the Washington / Oregon coast Sept / Oct / Nov. no the beds do not get wet even when folding up in the rain. At that time of year you never get a chance to air it out from the outside, it's inside only.

This is how I do it:
With the TT closed up I remove the beds and put them in the house then I unzip the tent ends ( the 3 screen openings ) from the inside and wipe them down with a towel. Then I just leave them unzipped and turn on my Dehumidifier and that dries it up completely. I do leave the dehumidifier on all winter long.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

The one caveat for "fully sealed", the windows all need to be zipped up tight as well. Ask me how I know... (forget once and SWMBO never lets you forget again).

But, it is not really a huge deal when you open it up and find your error. With everything sitting upright, the water just pools down at the bottom. Remember the mattress is sitting on edge, so it is not being leaked on. Actually, if you pull the weather seal flap back from the hinge and place it carefully (like you're supposed to; and I never do), any (minimal) water infiltration should drain out the hinge as soon as you open the bunk. Of course, if you are being that careful, you'd probably also notice that you forgot to zip the windows closed.

Our unit is at home open drying out after a wet pack up in the Adirondacks this w/e. Will pack it up and tow it to the storage yard after work tonight.

Tunce - really like your idea for interior drying, makes a lot of sense, and never would have thought of that!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

That's an interesting approach Tunce. A solution born from necessity. I'm glad we don't have that level of rain fall here...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #15

I noticed on my X19H that there is a small area on the outside corner of the bunk ends that has Velcro. As long as your bunk ends are fully opened when its raining water should not get in. However if they are wet when closing them up, it is possible for a little bit of water to get inside through the Velcro opening.
This is a new 2016 unit so no side work was done on it, straight from the factory this way with the Velcro. It was raining is Tucson, AZ today and I had the bunk ends down but not fully opened (with the bunk pole used inside). A little rain water got inside.
Any one else noticed the Velcro on their Hybrid?
JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #16

My x20e had the Velcro on the outside corners. Keep in mind when you close up the bunk, the Velcro corners would be on the top, lessening the chance of water getting in when packing up wet.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #17

I've packed mine up several times wet with dew and forgotten to open it up when I got home. No problems.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #18

Rain, and closing up wet is no big deal. The canvas is a vinyl material and they do not leak. When you first get it you need to spray the bunk ends with water to swell the stitching to keep them from leaking.

A few years back we accidentally had a little bit of the skirt get caught in the seal when we closed it up. Then we, drove in poring rain. We had a few cups of water caught up in the closed canvas. Not a single drop made it past the canvas.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #19

Thank YOU All!!!!

You are the best and have been a wealth of knowledge. Now we just need to figure out what size and if we can pull it without losing our minds.
Designer Women is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #20

I see your from Minneapolis! Hill Top was great to work with.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote