Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #1

Any way to "lift" the suspension?

Hello, we are new to tt's and just purchased a 2003 23b hybrid. But are finding it very low to the ground, and actually hit the v underneath (sorry, not sure of the name, part of the jack) in the rear going up a driveway.

Is there any way to raise it, that isn't crazy expensive? In my search, it seems that this can only be done by manufacture, so not sure if there is anything that can be done.

This is a great forum for info, especially as a "newbie".

edited: I guess this would be axle lift...

Thanks!!
angellicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Just "Google" travel trailer lift....lots and lots of info and how to's.....
Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

If your axles sit on top of springs you can rotate axles 180 and sit springs on top. This will raise trailer around 3 or 4 inches depending on what size axle tube you have. If the springs are already on top of axles you can add 2 or 3 in block and purchase longer u bolts. either way is cheap and easy fix.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

If you hit one of the rear stabilizers, then the first thing that comes to mind is that the stabilizers are not fully retracting. Sometimes the threads can get gunked up and they don't fold up all the way.

If the threads are gunky, then clean them with hot soapy water and a stiff brush, or whatever it takes. Of course, as soon as you apply oil to the threads, they're going to attract dirt and get gunky again. After I cleaned mine, I used a wax based motorcycle chain lube on them to keep them lubed, but not attract so much crud.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

use the search function in the gold bar above and search "flipping axles" which will explain how and why it is done to raise your trailer.

But first you are you should check and make sure you are towing level. Also, check if either of your rear stabilizers are lowering or dragging.

Many people pulling trailers will drag the rear end. That's why they install small v shaped drag points on the rear frame or bumper. The whole point is if you go over something to not actually tear up the trailer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #6

What type of suspension does your 2003 have? If you have a traditional leaf springs suspension, it is easy. Just flip the axle. But if you have torsion suspension like my 2012, it can be done, but it will take time and $. You will need a machine/welding shop make a custom lift kit.

I just saw a post for a 6" lift on a 2003 17A, It should be the same basic suspension that you have, just two axles verses a single.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ift-63025.html

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
What type of suspension does your 2003 have? If you have a traditional leaf springs suspension, it is easy. Just flip the axle. But if you have torsion suspension like my 2012, it can be done, but it will take time and $. You will need a machine/welding shop make a custom lift kit.

I just saw a post for a 6" lift on a 2003 17A, It should be the same basic suspension that you have, just two axles verses a single.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ift-63025.html
That was my thread on lifting the 17A.

Torsion axle. Outside the box thinking was required!

CT
nsula_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #8

I seen somebody add rollers to the rear frame that sit lower that the stabilizers, this could work for you. But like others have mentioned is yoru trailer sitting level on the hitch?
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

If ti is torsion you can look at Sicario's thread below (similar to nsula_country's). If the bolt pattern for the parts are the same you can download his file and have a set made at your local machine shop. The cost isn't too bad.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...19h-49307.html

I did one before he posted that thread and it did involve some cutting and welding, so it is not easily reversible. The cost was cheap though since I did all the cutting and layout and just had a friend weld the 2 pieces together. Cost me a case of beer.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

Axle lift on 2017 Jay Feather 17Z

Has anybody done an axle flip (lift) on a Jayco Jay Feather 17Z. I just bought one and given the rough areas I plan to take this TT, I would like to have more clearance. Safety is my main concern--will it tow safely?
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #11

If it has leaf spring suspension then it's worth doing. If it is torsion system then you'll have to figure that one out. Don't know if the system Sicario designed will work on that model. I posted his design in post #9 above.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #12

Pretty sure the "v" underneath is actually the skid designed for just this purpose. My X19H has a triangular section of flat bar at each corner designed to act as a skid to prevent contact with the jacks. Have seen it on other JayFeather/Flight hybrids with the torsion axles because they do sit pretty low.

I am willing to live with the low slung nature as it makes towing dynamics better. Lower center of gravity, and less face to the wind behind the truck makes for an easy towing trailer, but then I have yet to damage anything on the undercarriage. Might feel differently if I end up having a ground contact accident.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote