Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Allamuchy Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
We just bought a 17Z and are picking up our 2010 Honda Pilot tomorrow. The Pilot has tranny and brake fluid coolers and a max towing capacity of 4500lbs. We usually travel pretty light and will be going about 4 hours eacj way to our site, no mountains or winding roads. We are getting a WDH with sway bars and will probably be at about 3500lbs total towing weight. Anyone have a similar setup?

John
John,
We tow our 17Z with a 2009 Pilot and it works well. Originally, we towed a pop up with it. When we bought the X17Z, we were concerned about the added weight and wind resistance. To our pleasant surprise, other than drop the in gas mileage, the Pilot handled the transition well.

We have towed the trailer all over the hilly northeast -- PA, NJ, NY, Vermont. Then the big trip -- Last summer, we drove from New Jersey to Colorado and Utah. We went through many mountain passes without any issues. The Pilot tows the X17Z very well. We get about 22 highway without the trailer with about 9-12 towing. Across the plains we got about 10mph (until we hit a big cross wind in Kansas into Colorado). It was quite interesting because we towed from Salida, CO to Durango, CO and got 12.7 mph!

We also got great mileage during our ride from Durango, CO to Moab, UT. During that portion of our vacation had 4 adults in the Pilot with 4 mountain bikes. It was tight, but the Pilot did well.

If you want more info, PM me.

Joe
__________________

__________________
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn
2015 Jayco X23B
Allamuchy Joe is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks to everyone for responding. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've spoken to several people about this, and after a lot of research, we ended up with the Pilot as our TV. I know a lot of people here and elsewhere say that you should only tow with a full-frame pickup truck, but that is simply not a practical choice for a lot of people, myself included. We go camping 2-3 times a year, and while I appreciate that bigger and more powerful is better, it means that the other 49 weeks of the year I'm driving a vehicle which is too big for my garage, has a cargo area that I have no use for, is lousy in the snow, and eats gas. I'm picking up the 17Z in about a month and will report back with how it feels behind the Pilot.

Cheers!
__________________

Johnster is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
LongIslandCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
Thanks to everyone for responding. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've spoken to several people about this, and after a lot of research, we ended up with the Pilot as our TV. I know a lot of people here and elsewhere say that you should only tow with a full-frame pickup truck, but that is simply not a practical choice for a lot of people, myself included. We go camping 2-3 times a year, and while I appreciate that bigger and more powerful is better, it means that the other 49 weeks of the year I'm driving a vehicle which is too big for my garage, has a cargo area that I have no use for, is lousy in the snow, and eats gas. I'm picking up the 17Z in about a month and will report back with how it feels behind the Pilot.

Cheers!
Then I wish you luck.

The Pilot will no doubt pull the 17z. Then again, my 2,000lb rated Caravan could probably pull the 17z too. It's not so much about being able to pull the camper as it is about pulling it safely.

My brother was pulling the 17z with his 4Runner which is very comparable to the Pilot. I was following him on the highway and we were doing about 50 in the slow lane. A tractor trailer passed us on the left and I saw the 17z wiggle a lot, even with a sway bar. He said he never felt anything in the truck but I could sure see it from behind.

We felt OK towing it, we didn't feel great. I would never have a marginal TV for a TT again. After this everyone decided the 4Runner was just not a safe vehicle to tow the 17z with and we upgraded.

In the end, it's your decision. We can only give you advice and our experience.
__________________
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS - 2013 1500 Ram Big Horn
2013 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH - 2010 V8 Tundra

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Allamuchy Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Then I wish you luck.

The Pilot will no doubt pull the 17z. Then again, my 2,000lb rated Caravan could probably pull the 17z too. It's not so much about being able to pull the camper as it is about pulling it safely.
John -- we towed the 17Z over 6,000 miles last year -- over the plains, steep hills, several mountain passes, Route 550 in Colorado, etc. It handled well and we never felt out of control even in the massive cross winds in Kansas where the Class A buses and tractor trailers were having issues.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn
2015 Jayco X23B
Allamuchy Joe is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
John -- we towed the 17Z over 6,000 miles last year -- over the plains, steep hills, several mountain passes, Route 550 in Colorado, etc. It handled well and we never felt out of control even in the massive cross winds in Kansas where the Class A buses and tractor trailers were having issues.
Thanks Joe. This is exactly the kind of constructive feedback I'm looking for. There is obviously a big difference between the Pilot with 4WD and a towing capacity of 4500lbs and a FWD Caravan.
Johnster is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
LongIslandCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
Thanks Joe. This is exactly the kind of constructive feedback I'm looking for. There is obviously a big difference between the Pilot with 4WD and a towing capacity of 4500lbs and a FWD Caravan.
With all due respect, you received a lot of constructive criticism from a number of different people that used similar setups as you are planning on. Just about every person that had a similar setup as you upgraded or wished they upgraded their tow vehicle.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, I'm just saying that maybe you should look at things with a level head. You're going with the answer you think you want to hear.

I know you already have the Pilot now so what's done is done. Just try to pack VERY lightly. The weight of everything you add in the camper adds up real quick.
__________________
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS - 2013 1500 Ram Big Horn
2013 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH - 2010 V8 Tundra

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
wmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 173
I agree with cm11599. Not all constructive feedback has to tell the OP what he wants to hear. AFAIAC, if someone takes the time to reply, and the reply is more than a flippant sentence or two then it is their attempt at being constructive. Calling it otherwise (by singling out one as constructive) tends to give pause to those who bothered to take 5 minutes of their life (or more) to participate.
__________________
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
I agree with cm11599. Not all constructive feedback has to tell the OP what he wants to hear. AFAIAC, if someone takes the time to reply, and the reply is more than a flippant sentence or two then it is their attempt at being constructive. Calling it otherwise (by singling out one as constructive) tends to give pause to those who bothered to take 5 minutes of their life (or more) to participate.
With respect to both of you, telling me that I'm only hearing what I want to hear ignores the fact that my very first response was to thank everyone who took the time to reply.
The reason I singled out Joe's response as constructive is because it deals with the reality that I have already bought the Pilot, and is therefore constructive as it deals with that reality. I simply don't see how expressing the opinion (again) that you should never tow with anything outside of a full-sized pickup, after I had already explained why that is impractical for me, is constructive.

Contrast that with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I know you already have the Pilot now so what's done is done. Just try to pack VERY lightly. The weight of everything you add in the camper adds up real quick.
Which is pretty much the epitome of constructive and for which I am grateful.

I have looked into this matter for some time, and have solicited and read the opinions of many people, and have thanked each and every one who has taken the time to reply. I am aware that there are those who are of the opinion that you should only tow with a pickup truck. I respect that opinion, and had respectfully responded to it, so I feel that to express it again was unnecessary and therefore not constructive.

John
Johnster is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,655
It seems we have gone as far as we can with this one. The OP has considered the commentary and chosen his tow vehicle. Thread closed.
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.