Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #1

Anyone towing with a Pilot?

We just bought a 17Z and are picking up our 2010 Honda Pilot tomorrow. The Pilot has tranny and brake fluid coolers and a max towing capacity of 4500lbs. We usually travel pretty light and will be going about 4 hours eacj way to our site, no mountains or winding roads. We are getting a WDH with sway bars and will probably be at about 3500lbs total towing weight. Anyone have a similar setup?

John
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a V6 4Runner, 165 Sport that will pack out between 3200 and 3400lbs.
Seems to pull nicely so far. Have not had it in the mountains, but did try some steep hills.
I have an Equalizer WDH.

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

I pull an X20e with an 08 Ridgeline using a WDH. There are several differences, but my setup tows just fine even up the passes here in the Cascades. I'd be comfortable with your setup on the kinds of roads you describe. As long as your brake controller is adjusted correctly and you are familiar with the braking feel you should have good control.

Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #4

We had a 17z pulled by a 5,000# rated 4Runner. It pulled OK, not great. Keep in mind I live on Long Island which means we have no hills at all. You could feel the truck bog down on our puny hills here. We just sold the 17z but were going to get a larger TV before the camping season started this year just to be safer.

We ended up with a 2013 Ram 1500 and are picking up our 2013 26RLS tomorrow.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

I may be a day late but I would say don't buy the pilot! We just came back from or first trip with x17a, TV a 2012 jeep Cherokee (5000#) limit with WDH. Pulls just fine 49mph and less but 50 high the 6 cylinder has to work to hard to over come the wind resistance. Handle just fine just need a couple more cylinder to overcome the wind. I'm sure there is a way to figure il that out but I would guess that the wind adds at least another 1000lbs. Good luck but if your spending the money on a new car a would spend a little more, I would if I could do it again.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdunk1 View Post
I may be a day late but I would say don't buy the pilot! We just came back from or first trip with x17a, TV a 2012 jeep Cherokee (5000#) limit with WDH. Pulls just fine 49mph and less but 50 high the 6 cylinder has to work to hard to over come the wind resistance. Handle just fine just need a couple more cylinder to overcome the wind. I'm sure there is a way to figure il that out but I would guess that the wind adds at least another 1000lbs. Good luck but if your spending the money on a new car a would spend a little more, I would if I could do it again.
Totally agree.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Totally agree.
X2

I am making due. If I was buying before TT, I would have the V8 and longer wheelbase.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

We had a 2005 Honda pilot. Great vehicle !!! Average tow vehicle. We had a 19 foot fun finder but up graded to the Tundra.
As much as the Pilot was a great vehicle the tundra with all that power, longer wheelbase and towing features is just such a better vehicle for towing.

& I have never heard anyone say " wow I wish I had gotten something with LESS power !!"
Sherman ( the Pomeranian ) he runs the show!!!
2006 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. aka The RED Tundra !!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
We just bought a 17Z and are picking up our 2010 Honda Pilot tomorrow. The Pilot has tranny and brake fluid coolers and a max towing capacity of 4500lbs. We usually travel pretty light and will be going about 4 hours eacj way to our site, no mountains or winding roads. We are getting a WDH with sway bars and will probably be at about 3500lbs total towing weight. Anyone have a similar setup?

John
John,

Since you said that picking up the Pilot was imminent, I have to assume that is a "done deal" so there is little point in saying that you should get a different tow vehicle.

What I can say is you need to be forewarned of several things, and this is based on experience (largely first hand, based on my ownership of a 3500# rated FWD 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with tow package - similar class of vehicle to your Pilot):
  • You will successfully tow the 17Z with the Pilot, but your enjoyment depends on many factors
  • Tow rating - on crossovers and small/mid-sized SUVs, these are optimistic, and there is much more to towing than matching the tow rating to the rated weight of the RV, including length of wheelbase of tow vehicle and engine torque (not power)
  • Loading of RV - more often than not the RV is overloaded, with the load distribution being less than optimal; load the RV so that 12% of the weight is on the tongue and if that causes overload to the rear axle of the tow vehicle then you need to back off on the load in the tow vehicle and/or the weight of the RV so that the 12% is maintained
  • Loading of Tow Vehicle - this has to be factored in; often the axle rating is not considered and ends up being overloaded
  • Weight distribution - even more important on a smaller tow vehicle but very important to all; affects sway and directional stability of the combined rig
  • Fuel economy - This will suck, especially with smaller tow vehicles; expect 10 mpg or less with your Pilot
  • Terrain - You may want to stick to flat terrain (as you mentioned would be typical) with this rig

After towing my RV home from the dealer across relatively flat Houston with my Santa Fe, and considering that I want to be able to go anywhere, I came to the realization that I needed a more capable tow vehicle, and before my first camping trip I got my Sierra.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #10

Towed my 2012 x20e with the 04 pilot 9 times last summer. No problems at all but yes...a little wiggly at times. Upgraded to a Durango Lmt 5.7 v-8 hemi to eliminate any weight issues bc we were just under capacity. Now my pilot did have after market tranny cooler, receiver, and wdh. Would not tow at all with pilot without these extras. Enjoy.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:

John
John,
We tow our 17Z with a 2009 Pilot and it works well. Originally, we towed a pop up with it. When we bought the X17Z, we were concerned about the added weight and wind resistance. To our pleasant surprise, other than drop the in gas mileage, the Pilot handled the transition well.

We have towed the trailer all over the hilly northeast -- PA, NJ, NY, Vermont. Then the big trip -- Last summer, we drove from New Jersey to Colorado and Utah. We went through many mountain passes without any issues. The Pilot tows the X17Z very well. We get about 22 highway without the trailer with about 9-12 towing. Across the plains we got about 10mph (until we hit a big cross wind in Kansas into Colorado). It was quite interesting because we towed from Salida, CO to Durango, CO and got 12.7 mph!

We also got great mileage during our ride from Durango, CO to Moab, UT. During that portion of our vacation had 4 adults in the Pilot with 4 mountain bikes. It was tight, but the Pilot did well.

If you want more info, PM me.

Joe
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #12

Thanks to everyone for responding. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've spoken to several people about this, and after a lot of research, we ended up with the Pilot as our TV. I know a lot of people here and elsewhere say that you should only tow with a full-frame pickup truck, but that is simply not a practical choice for a lot of people, myself included. We go camping 2-3 times a year, and while I appreciate that bigger and more powerful is better, it means that the other 49 weeks of the year I'm driving a vehicle which is too big for my garage, has a cargo area that I have no use for, is lousy in the snow, and eats gas. I'm picking up the 17Z in about a month and will report back with how it feels behind the Pilot.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for responding. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've spoken to several people about this, and after a lot of research, we ended up with the Pilot as our TV. I know a lot of people here and elsewhere say that you should only tow with a full-frame pickup truck, but that is simply not a practical choice for a lot of people, myself included. We go camping 2-3 times a year, and while I appreciate that bigger and more powerful is better, it means that the other 49 weeks of the year I'm driving a vehicle which is too big for my garage, has a cargo area that I have no use for, is lousy in the snow, and eats gas. I'm picking up the 17Z in about a month and will report back with how it feels behind the Pilot.

Cheers!
Then I wish you luck.

The Pilot will no doubt pull the 17z. Then again, my 2,000lb rated Caravan could probably pull the 17z too. It's not so much about being able to pull the camper as it is about pulling it safely.

My brother was pulling the 17z with his 4Runner which is very comparable to the Pilot. I was following him on the highway and we were doing about 50 in the slow lane. A tractor trailer passed us on the left and I saw the 17z wiggle a lot, even with a sway bar. He said he never felt anything in the truck but I could sure see it from behind.

We felt OK towing it, we didn't feel great. I would never have a marginal TV for a TT again. After this everyone decided the 4Runner was just not a safe vehicle to tow the 17z with and we upgraded.

In the end, it's your decision. We can only give you advice and our experience.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Then I wish you luck.

The Pilot will no doubt pull the 17z. Then again, my 2,000lb rated Caravan could probably pull the 17z too. It's not so much about being able to pull the camper as it is about pulling it safely.
John -- we towed the 17Z over 6,000 miles last year -- over the plains, steep hills, several mountain passes, Route 550 in Colorado, etc. It handled well and we never felt out of control even in the massive cross winds in Kansas where the Class A buses and tractor trailers were having issues.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
John -- we towed the 17Z over 6,000 miles last year -- over the plains, steep hills, several mountain passes, Route 550 in Colorado, etc. It handled well and we never felt out of control even in the massive cross winds in Kansas where the Class A buses and tractor trailers were having issues.
Thanks Joe. This is exactly the kind of constructive feedback I'm looking for. There is obviously a big difference between the Pilot with 4WD and a towing capacity of 4500lbs and a FWD Caravan.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks Joe. This is exactly the kind of constructive feedback I'm looking for. There is obviously a big difference between the Pilot with 4WD and a towing capacity of 4500lbs and a FWD Caravan.
With all due respect, you received a lot of constructive criticism from a number of different people that used similar setups as you are planning on. Just about every person that had a similar setup as you upgraded or wished they upgraded their tow vehicle.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, I'm just saying that maybe you should look at things with a level head. You're going with the answer you think you want to hear.

I know you already have the Pilot now so what's done is done. Just try to pack VERY lightly. The weight of everything you add in the camper adds up real quick.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #17

I agree with cm11599. Not all constructive feedback has to tell the OP what he wants to hear. AFAIAC, if someone takes the time to reply, and the reply is more than a flippant sentence or two then it is their attempt at being constructive. Calling it otherwise (by singling out one as constructive) tends to give pause to those who bothered to take 5 minutes of their life (or more) to participate.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
I agree with cm11599. Not all constructive feedback has to tell the OP what he wants to hear. AFAIAC, if someone takes the time to reply, and the reply is more than a flippant sentence or two then it is their attempt at being constructive. Calling it otherwise (by singling out one as constructive) tends to give pause to those who bothered to take 5 minutes of their life (or more) to participate.
With respect to both of you, telling me that I'm only hearing what I want to hear ignores the fact that my very first response was to thank everyone who took the time to reply.
The reason I singled out Joe's response as constructive is because it deals with the reality that I have already bought the Pilot, and is therefore constructive as it deals with that reality. I simply don't see how expressing the opinion (again) that you should never tow with anything outside of a full-sized pickup, after I had already explained why that is impractical for me, is constructive.

Contrast that with:
Quote:
I know you already have the Pilot now so what's done is done. Just try to pack VERY lightly. The weight of everything you add in the camper adds up real quick.
Which is pretty much the epitome of constructive and for which I am grateful.

I have looked into this matter for some time, and have solicited and read the opinions of many people, and have thanked each and every one who has taken the time to reply. I am aware that there are those who are of the opinion that you should only tow with a pickup truck. I respect that opinion, and had respectfully responded to it, so I feel that to express it again was unnecessary and therefore not constructive.

John
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Site Team

It seems we have gone as far as we can with this one. The OP has considered the commentary and chosen his tow vehicle. Thread closed.
Closed Thread