Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

Anyone use a solar battery tender?

Any recommendations on a solar battery tender I can leave at my TT storage location? What wattage would you recommend, 5 watt or is 2.5 watts enough for a trickle charge? Thanks.
ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

We have a 23B with 4- 6 volt batteries because we do a lot of boondocking. When the trailer is at a storage lot my husband does use a solar trickle charger that has worked well. This is what he said he uses:
Schumacher SP-200 2.4W Solar Battery Maintainer

Schumacher SPC-7A 12 Volt Solar Charge Controller

Schumacher EC-25 25' Cable Connector Extension Cord

Hope this is helpful.
pezgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Team

[QUOTE=ashmanbrian;373657]Any recommendations on a solar battery tender I can leave at my TT storage location? What wattage would you recommend, 5 watt or is 2.5 watts enough for a trickle charge? Thanks.[/QUOTE

If you only want to go with a 2.5 or 5 watt setup, I would go with the 5 watt. A problem with just getting a 5 watt panel with no charge controller is that you risk overcharging the battery. Topping off the battery only needs to keep the battery voltage at 13.2 VDC, a lot of these SOLAR panels (used alone) will keep pumping 14+ volts into a fully charged battery. Other issues are the SOLAR charge controller draws power from the batteries to operate and the long extension cable also reduces the SOLAR output.

Assuming that you connect the system directly to the battery, you will want to remove the 30Amp main fuse (usually located by the batteries) as the CO detector, radio and fridge control boards all use 12VDC 24/7, and they will reduce the amount of power to maintain your battery. If you leave the TT in storage a lot, I would suggest installing a battery disconnect switch, which will make the process a lot easier.

One additional thing to consider... these are for keeping the battery topped off at 13.2VDC and you can only use them on batteries that are FULLY CHARGED. So if you currently do not store your TT with a battery that is 100% charged, you may not be happy with the outcome.

I tried to find the specifications (internal) for the charge controller mentioned in the previous post, but it said that no mfr documentation exists other than the instructions that are included with the product. If you locate any let me know.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

I like the Battery Minder Solar Charger/Maintainers as they seem to be the only one that desulfate the batteries, helps to extend the life of the battery. I use the AC version on my bike batteries, they really work.
I am about install their 5 watt model #SCC005, if my tax refund comes thru.
BatteryMinders.com has lots of good info on charging and maintaining batteries.

2004 Designer 31RLS
2000 F350 Lariat 7.3L Dually 4 Door Long Bed
KiwiBruce is offline   Reply With Quote