Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Awning lights fell off.

Our 19XUD has - or had - the traditional LED light strip attached up under the awning.

I say "had", because I went out this morning and found the entire LED strip lying on the ground.

Close inspection revealed that the only way in which they had been attached, was by stitching them to the underside of the awning... apparently, with common cotton thread which is not UV-resistant.

A couple of years of Florida sunshine and the cotton has rotted, allowing the entire light strip to fall off. Typical Jayco... do a cheap job that will last long enough for the warranty to run out, then let the dumb customer sort it out.

So now I get to add "glue the light strip on properly" to my task list.
Or I may take the opportunity to replace the nasty glaring things anyway...

But I did want to put the word out. If you live somewhere sunny, check the stitching on your awning lights, indeed, possibly the awning as a whole.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #2

The designs always work on paper.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #3

I thought mine looked like they were in a track of sorts, maybe I should get a better look at them, thanks for the warning just in case.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

Mine aren't attached to the awning but instead reside in a c channel track on the upper portion of my side wall. I replaced the bright white stadium led lights after our first trip. They literally lit up 3 campsites. Easy mod and my DW got the color lights that she wanted....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Mine are separating from the awning on my Feather right in the middle. So far, it's only about 18" of thread pulled away. I'm going to have to get up there and try and reattach them before they completely separate.

Hopefully it will cool down enough soon to get up there and get it fixed. Please let me know how you end up reattaching it, what product you use, etc.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Our 19XUD has - or had - the traditional LED light strip attached up under the awning.

I say "had", because I went out this morning and found the entire LED strip lying on the ground.

Close inspection revealed that the only way in which they had been attached, was by stitching them to the underside of the awning... apparently, with common cotton thread which is not UV-resistant.

A couple of years of Florida sunshine and the cotton has rotted, allowing the entire light strip to fall off. Typical Jayco... do a cheap job that will last long enough for the warranty to run out, then let the dumb customer sort it out.
Bet you 10 to 1 that JAYCO bought that awning with the lights already attached.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

WeRJuliian,

Funny you posted this. About the same time you posted was when we noticed our's coming off our 2017 X213. I am still trying to figure out the best method of securing them anew. Hopefully will someone will have a recommendation soon. My concern is that some adhesives can react with different plastics and vinyls and don't want to create more damage to the awning.
ppritche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Team

I only had about 18" of mine that were separating from the awning. I reattached it with Gorilla Tape last week. So far, so good.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #9

For those of you with this problem, how have the fixes held up? I noticed mine separated about 18-24" on our last trip and my husband had planned to reattach them with double-side tape where we arrived at our camp spot. Unfortunately, the light strip didn't make it to the camp spot with us. Now I have to figure out how to have exterior lights on our camper. Not even sure how it was wired and what I could replace it with. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Quidort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
Site Team

The Gorilla tape that I tried didn't work long term. My wife and I ended up sewing ours back on with UV resistant thread. It was a time consuming process, but it is much more permanent of a fix.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #11

Ohhh no, I just replaced mine with the Gorilla tape. Hope it lasts a few months. While I was in the process of cleaning the plastic and the awning off with denatured alcohol and then rubbing alcohol, I had the lights pull out of the U shaped channel. It looks like it already has the double sided 3m tape on it. If it fails again, I might try to get rid of the fragile plastic channel and just connect them directly to awning
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #12

After some research, we've decided to try this set. Includes a channel backed with 3M adhesive tape. We plan to attach to awning extrusion if possible, 2nd choice to side of the rig. They get good reviews, will try to remember to update after install.
https://www.recpro.com/led-rv-awning...nting-channel/
Quidort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:08 AM   #13

How did these work out? Love to see some pics. This is a common problem it seems.
Eastern Sierra Oracle

Daveinfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #14

Our older 5th didn’t come with the LED awning lights and when the Bride saw a few trailers with them they went on my “do list”. The light strip I bought had a double sided adhesive strip already applied. Easy! Lasted about a month. I stuck them up next with 3M auto trim tape and they’ve been up a couple of years now with no problems. I stuck mine to the side wall immediately below the track holding the awning. I seem to recall using 1/4” wide tape.
I routed the power to them by following the wires powering the awning.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #15

Had the same problem with our 19XUD - used caulk along the entire back of the strip - it has been holding up great - good thing it happened when parked! Yes you are right the stitching them to the underside of the awning... apparently, with common cotton thread which is not UV-resistant. I would advice all to check before heading out- thank you for the post!
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #16

Thumbs up

I used the c-channel to attach rope lights to my trailer a number of years ago. I found it at Menards. But the first time I washed my trailer, they fell off. That's because the tape on the c-channel is an interior tape. I peeled and scraped off what was left of the double-sided tape, cleaned the back of the channel and the trailer side with alcohol, and replaced the tape with 3M exterior grade double-sided tape. It's often used for automotive body side molding. It is a dark charcoal color covered with a red plastic - not the white & green paper that's on the interior tape. It's a little pricey, but it works! I did that 6 years ago, and my lights are still holding firmly. BTW, just to be on the safe side, I ran a bead of clear silicone sealant on the inside of the c-channel before inserting the rope lights. Then I added a dab on top of the lights about every 12" - just to make sure they wouldn't fall out during transport.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
Site Team

Approx 6 months since my wife and I sewed ours back in by hand. Still holding up great (Please ignore the mold on the awning. That will be part of the spring cleaning).
Attached Thumbnails
20210313_110851.jpg  
Old 06-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #18

I just had this happen this morning.
The whole thing fell completely off.
I assumed it would be something that I could get from Carefree Colorado, but realized that unless they have changed their design, the same thing will happen again in another three years.
So, I will check out the solution mentioned above to replace the lights with these:

https://www.recpro.com/led-rv-awning...nting-channel/

If anyone is interested I'll post pics and thoughts on installation after they arrive.

Oh, and good to be here my name is Joshua
Chorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #19

I see it's been some time since this post was made but I just had the exact same thing happen (and it's 4 yrs later (thanks Jayco)). What did you end up doing and did it fix it? Thanks!
Therealneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealneil View Post
I see it's been some time since this post was made but I just had the exact same thing happen (and it's 4 yrs later (thanks Jayco)). What did you end up doing and did it fix it? Thanks!
I have sewn ours back on with UV resistant thread. It is quite a job. Unless you take the awning off, you will need someone on a ladder and someone on the roof to pass the needle and thread back and forth to each other.

We actually have another little section that came loose recently. We will be out sewing it again in the near future.