Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Baby gate for rear bunk

Hey folks we have a 2011 17Z that we purchased last year and our son was only 14 months at the time so we just setup a play pen on top of the fold down dinette and that worked great for the fist season. For this season he has outgrown the play pen so we need to come up with another sleeping arrangement. The back bunk is great (narrow opening) but we would need some sort of gate to prevent him from tumbling out in the night. Have you folks built anything? What works, I am looking for ideas that would not be permanent and avoid drilling any holes as when he gets older we will not need a gate there anymore.

Thanks
Darryl
rip-cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

We had used something like this for my Son and it worked well. I don't have a 17Z so I am not 100% certain what you have, but having a portable rail which can slip under the mattress would likely work. You can also add additional length to the under arms to keep it even more secure.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

In our 17Z we have had great luck with a product called bed bug bumpers. These are pieces of shaped foam that you put under the mattress sheet. Very light weight, easy to use, and you can order the exact length you need. We use them in the front bunk to keep our twin toddlers from rolling out- have had no issues in 2 years. Check out their web site:
http://www.gobedbug.com/
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

Thanks I looked at the typical mattress ones I was just worried that with a lighter mattress in the trailer if he even leaned on it just a little he would topple out head first. The bed bug's would work if he was small but he is used to standing up and walking around on the bed. So if we are out enjoying the fire while we think he is sleeping he could tumble out. The 17Z has a narrower opening at the back so I am thinking of trying a compression gate and see if that will fit across.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #5

I think that a gate will work. I used regular portable bed rails, but DS did not stand up in the bed.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

Standing on the bed presents a whole new obstacle. I made rails for my kids in the upper bunks and I have bean bags which they use to sit and watch TV from on the floor should they fall. Atleast it's something soft.

The under the mattress type rails I have make the beds very lumpy and have "leg" that stick down by about 3" to grip the box spring when put between the mattress and box spring. This creates an issue for or use in trailer applications since there is no box spring but a hard base so the rails are now 3" up making it impossible to use them. Maybe there is another manufacturer with something different and more adaptable for your use.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

Another possibility would be to use a cargo net to close off the opening.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

With my son, he was 1 1/2 we put him at the folded down kitchen table with the portable rail which was really a perfect fit in the dinette area. It was plenty to keep him from rolling out of bed and it did allow him to get up out of bed (which happened often). We had an Antigua 195CK which is likely similar to yours. The drop from the bunks was too much for us to risk, but the dinette was easy enough for him to get out of without getting injured. He never fell out either because of the rail or the opening which remained.

My wife and I were able to sit outside and not worry.

If your Son is an active climber you may want to consider the lower areas for him to sleep in? Sure it's a little more work to setup and break down, but well worth the effort. My son is 11 now and completely enjoys climbing to the top bunk (no rails either).

The other thing with the bunk is possible entrapment between the bunk fabric and mattress, unless you put those bumpers all around.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

I was considering to fabricate something out of 1/2" or 3/4" abs from home Depot. Just buy the fittings that I need and dry fit it together to make something that I think will work. We have a Jayco 213 and it also has a narrow opening at into the bunks due to the washroom being built up against them.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #10

Thanks guys, I have considered the dinette as well just as it is a lower drop so that might still be a possibility and just use a regular bed rail setup somehow as there is no "mattress." At least with the Jayco I know he can't fall out of the bunk at the back as the fabric is sewn into the frame. I am going to see if I can find a compression gate that will cover the opening then there is no way for him to fall out.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
We had used something like this for my Son and it worked well. I don't have a 17Z so I am not 100% certain what you have, but having a portable rail which can slip under the mattress would likely work. You can also add additional length to the under arms to keep it even more secure.
We used something similar

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

My 4 year old son sleeps behind that type of rail. Works great for him.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote