Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #1

Back from our Maiden Voyage

We did it! We got back yesterday afternoon with our new (to us) 2013 X17z, after taking it to camp overnight at a state park that's 45 minutes away. We had a blast! Here are my observations:

-Towing in my 2015 Pathfinder was no trouble at all. After doing far too much research, I'm completely paranoid about weight (not so much towing weight, but payload/cargo weight) and that may be why it wasn't a problem.

-Backing up is tricky, but I'm getting better at it. We used a pull-thru site at the campground, but I still had to back it into our driveway twice, and the entrance to our driveway is tight.

-We did "Camp Driveway" on Friday night, after getting it home. Basically, we set it up in the driveway, invited friends over for beverages, and then broke it down before leaving for the state park. This was invaluable. By the time we got to the park, we were very comfortable with our setup and breakdown procedures. We can do the whole thing in about 30 minutes now, I think.

-Our black water tank monitor may be faulty. When empty, it reads 2/3 full. We've vowed, however, that only liquid waste will be expelled into the toilet (anything else can go in the campground bathroom) so I don't think we're going to run into any troubles, even if we camp for 3-4 nights. I should probably get it to the dealer for a look, though.

-Even when well chocked and with the stabilizers secure, I can still feel some wiggle at night. Our 14-year-old daughter, who is all of 110 pounds, slept in one bunk, while my wife and I slept in the other one (our son was on the dinette). At about 5am, I awoke to the camper jiggling. In my fog, I figured my daughter couldn't possibly be responsible. After laying there feeling the jiggle for a while, I finally sat up to try to figure out what the heck was going on. It was then that I heard from the other side of the camper, "Hi Daddy." My daughter couldn't sleep, and was tossing and turning. I guess that's something to get used to.

-Despite the fact that she's tent camped about a dozen times over the years, my daughter nearly turned murderous in the middle of the night from the noise in the woods. There was apparently a cricket right outside her bunk that was going to town all night. Here's her quote: "I don't like to kill things, and that includes bugs, but I was ready to jump out of the camper and bash that cricket's head in."

-I did really well with my camper supply shopping. I didn't miss anything critical. We have a small list of little things we want, but didn't lack for anything we needed.

In all, it was awesome. Thanks to all of those here who answered my semi-panicked questions during the purchase process. We can't wait to go back out. In fact, I have a feeling there will be many nights when we sit in the camper in the driveway for a drink with friends

Here are a couple of pics:

Loaded up and ready to leave for the campground.

Set up at the campground and ready to relax.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

Steve,

Nice looking setup, congratulations!

Get used to the tank sensors not working. Most common complaint on ALL brands of TT. Someone has to develop something better. Actually, there is an outside sensor that is professional grade (for industrial tanks), but it costs a couple of hundred.

I would be curious to see what you weights are like from a CAT scale. Spend $20 to find out. You actually look tongue light or nose up in the photo. (or it could be the crown in your driveway). Looking at your hitch, I would have expected your WDH head to be on the lowest hole on the shank. These Hybrids are pretty low to the ground. I know my head is lower than yours for my 19H.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

Also, since yours is used like mine and you don't know the history of the tank get one of those wands you hook up to a hose and stick down the toilet. Ours was reading 2/3 full. Once we used the wand it cleaned everything out and now reads empty.
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Steve,

Nice looking setup, congratulations!

Get used to the tank sensors not working. Most common complaint on ALL brands of TT. Someone has to develop something better. Actually, there is an outside sensor that is professional grade (for industrial tanks), but it costs a couple of hundred.

I would be curious to see what you weights are like from a CAT scale. Spend $20 to find out. You actually look tongue light or nose up in the photo. (or it could be the crown in your driveway). Looking at your hitch, I would have expected your WDH head to be on the lowest hole on the shank. These Hybrids are pretty low to the ground. I know my head is lower than yours for my 19H.
I'm pretty sure it's the driveway. The car is sitting on a more level area, while the trailer is on more of a slant, so it absolutely does seem to be leaning back. It doesn't look that way when both are on level ground. I noticed the same thing when I took this picture, and worried for a moment, until I remembered how my driveway sits.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash828 View Post
Also, since yours is used like mine and you don't know the history of the tank get one of those wands you hook up to a hose and stick down the toilet. Ours was reading 2/3 full. Once we used the wand it cleaned everything out and now reads empty.
Yeah, I did think about that. I bought it from a dealer, who supposedly cleaned and sterilized all of the tanks, but who knows how thorough of a job they did?

One suggestion I got from a friend was that I put too much chemicals in the tank, which caused it to foam up and make the sensor think it's full. I think it might be at least partially that. After putting chemicals and a bit of water in the tank, it read full. I actually drained it after that (before anyone used it) and there was hardly any fluid at all in it ... less than half a gallon I think. Even after that draining, it still read full. Hours later, I checked it, and it read 2/3 full. Today, it reads 1/3 full even though it should be totally empty since I dumped before leaving the campground.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

Ours was from a dealer too who was suppose to clean everything. I can tell you this was not the case. Wife and I went to a local state park down the road, paid a $5 fee on a Sunday afternoon and spent 30 minutes flushing everything at the dump station.
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash828 View Post
Ours was from a dealer too who was suppose to clean everything. I can tell you this was not the case. Wife and I went to a local state park down the road, paid a $5 fee on a Sunday afternoon and spent 30 minutes flushing everything at the dump station.
Good tip. I just checked it again and it reads 1/3 full when I know it's empty. It could be a combination of a couple of different things. The foam SHOULD have died down by now, since I initially put those chemicals in on Saturday afternoon.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #8

Sweet!!!!! Congrats!!!

Nothing better than the smell of a campfire, the woods, cooking on the fire, and sounds of nature with a beverage in hand..

Don't sweat the tank indicator. They're never accurate. You'll figure out how much you use in 3 days pretty quickly.

Love hearing good stories!!!!!!!
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

Steve. Did you find it easy to fold the tents up?
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja View Post
Steve. Did you find it easy to fold the tents up?
We didn't have any troubles. The back bunk goes up very easily. The front one always seems to give a little resistance, but we've learned it's just the mattress compressing. We push a little on it, and it closes with no trouble. My wife is rather short (5'2'') so she has trouble with the front one, but it's no biggie. She holds it while I latch both sides.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

SteveMM, great write up and gad you had a great time!

Quick tip, the back-up camera doesn't show black color too well. So, for ease when backing up to connect the hitch to the trailer, I put a piece of florescent duct tape on the tip of the trailer coupler which is much more visible through the camera and allows me to line up the ball to the coupler usually on the first try.
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
We didn't have any troubles. The back bunk goes up very easily. The front one always seems to give a little resistance, but we've learned it's just the mattress compressing. We push a little on it, and it closes with no trouble. My wife is rather short (5'2'') so she has trouble with the front one, but it's no biggie. She holds it while I latch both sides.
On those bunk seals, I suggest wiping them down with baby powder. Works like a charm on my X23B hybrid, and I'm over 6' tall!! Now they drop down EEE-ZZZ.......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflava View Post
SteveMM, great write up and gad you had a great time!

Quick tip, the back-up camera doesn't show black color too well. So, for ease when backing up to connect the hitch to the trailer, I put a piece of florescent duct tape on the tip of the trailer coupler which is much more visible through the camera and allows me to line up the ball to the coupler usually on the first try.
That's a really great tip. I didn't have much trouble lining it up, but that tape should make it really easy.