Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

Backcountry SOLAR battery charger

I killed my marine battery testing my new Jayco in driveway in only 1 week. All I was running was the fridge thermostat (used propane) and I left the radio on as a test, intermittently used the overhead LEDs. I was surprised it drained out so fast, less than 7 days.

I have an extra deep cycle, but what I need is suggestions for a better solution.
Top of line solar panel/charger is what Im thinking, Im more worried about someone stealing it than the initial cost

I hate the thought hooking up my truck and letting it run just to charge, that is redundant, smelly, and expensive.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

Check out Renogy solar panels starter systems.

Panel installs on roof. Comes with controller and cable.

100 watt panel setup costs around $300 and can produce around a 12 amp charge for as long as you have peak sun ( 6 hours a day?)

Also check out the rving with solar group on this JOF site for posts and info on other members who have added solar

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ith+solar.html

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #3

Renogy Solar Panel Bundle Mono 200W with 2 100W Panels/ 30A Controller/ MC4 Branch Connector/ MC4 Ad - 16301377 - Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Prices on Alternative Energy

Found this on overstock, seems like a good deal?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #4

Solar Energy Collection, Distribution & Storage :: Aervoe Industries Inc.

I have one of these to charge my batteries during the day. The black and red leads hook directly to the battery. Pretty simple and portable. It's the 30 watt solar collector

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #5

Like the portability factor and the fact it doesn't need a complicated installation but is it enough for your needs?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

There is a thread about this one.
I like that it's portable and powerful.
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-M...Panel+Suitcase

Thread here
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...kit-34390.html
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomacanthus View Post
Like the portability factor and the fact it doesn't need a complicated installation but is it enough for your needs?
I have just went thru a test with the Renogy 100 watt suitcase and its more then enough for battery maintenance. They are plug and play and work great. They are easily stolen tho. Any thing that is plug and play can grow legs!! My suggestion is What Mooney suggest and get a one or two panels mounted to your roof. Every thing is secure with the controller mounted inside. Permanent installation. If you even think that you might dry camp, mount 2 panels. Renogy makes an excellent product for a reasonable price. You may want to get an experienced installer because you are mounting it to the roof and the panel wires need to come thru the roof. All needs to be sealed well to eliminate any chance of water damage.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

I have a 130W single panel (Solar Cynergy) mounted on the roof and I brought the wire into the back of the trailer near the top rather than put another hole into the roof.

Panel, connectors, Z brackets, and PWM charge controller all came from various ebay sources.

Don't use the high priced single conductor wire they sell, use #12 low voltage landscape wire from Lowes. It looks like lamp cord; very easy to use. See if they'll sell it by the foot so you don't get sucked into buying a 100' spool.

Total price (with 100' of wire) was about $240 and it works like a charm--I just ignore it and it won't grow legs.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #9

Perhaps you might be better off just connecting your shore power cable to a 120VAC Receptacle in your Garage/house using a RV30A-15A Dogbone long adapter (WALMART).

The adapter looks similar to this google image

This is workable real quick while you are planning your SOLAR UPGRADE...

If you need an extension cord be sure it is a 10GAUGE (10-3) or a 12GAUGE (12-3). The thick HD looking ones usually YELLOW color... May not find one at WALMART...

If you use any smaller gauge cables you will run the risk of overheating the cable and do possible damage to your high wattage appliances...

You also have to be sure all three prongs are connected and working properly coming from the house side...

We do this all time here at our house for our two 30A trailers. Can run anything in the trailer but do have to watch what is ON at the same time like the Air Conditioner or the Microwave otherwise it will trip the garage 120VAC breaker...

This is great for cleaning your trailer when parked at home and testing things. Also great for keeping your trailer battery charged up. Once they get dropped below the 12.0VDC level and not recharged right away they usually don't survive or produce less performance after that...

There is alot of parasitic drains connected with the RV trailers and one week is about normal for running them down...

You may want to upgrade your 12VDC setup to at least 200Ahhs capacity if you pplan on doing any camping off the grid.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

I have two of the 100W Renogy panels listed in your link, for a total of 200W. The panels work good and I would buy them again. The panels alone are $135 with free shipping on Amazon as a reference.
If you are frugal with your power demands 200W should work fine for a start.

By frugal I mean,
LED lights
refrig and water heater on propane
furnace turned down to 55-60deg at night
run a small inverter to watch the TV a couple hours at night.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I have two of the 100W Renogy panels listed in your link, for a total of 200W. The panels work good and I would buy them again. The panels alone are $135 with free shipping on Amazon as a reference.
If you are frugal with your power demands 200W should work fine for a start.

By frugal I mean,
LED lights
refrig and water heater on propane
furnace turned down to 55-60deg at night
run a small inverter to watch the TV a couple hours at night.
X2

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #12

solar

Thanks guys. Im testing out the camper in the driveway, I accidentally let the battery drain to zero, it was dealer installed and undersized anyway. Never having bought a real camper before I didn't know enough to request a large HD battery besides I have an extra Marine battery brand new biggest one I could find at Fleet Farm i think its 225A so I will be mounting that I suppose. I was going to do 2 wired together but I haven't had time to R&D the configuration and determine fit. I was originally going to put them into the camper cabin but didn't realize they off gas (duh) and don't really feel like fabricating a custom battery box so i will probably just use the big one.

2 panels at 100W each on the roof is what Im going with after reading all this, makes the most sense to me. Im not big on TV but do like to check local news, not even sure how if the TV will run on the battery....I tested it at full charge and it wouldnt turn on, I assumed there was/is an inverter somewhere that will power the outlets? maybe not since the TV wouldnt come on...

Lots of driveway testing and configuring happening. i Like everything being measured and leveled so spend a considerable about of time making all that happen, not to finalize backcountry power. Might call the dealer and see how horrible it would be to have my panels installed at 54 Im not real fond of delving into new territories and doing all the head scratching if I can avoid it.

This forum is GREAT just want to say THANKS to everyone who participates its been incredibly helpful
Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomacanthus View Post
Might call the dealer and see how horrible it would be to have my panels installed at 54 Im not real fond of delving into new territories and doing all the head scratching if I can avoid it.
I looked at a picture of your TT model and it looks like you have a lot of room on the front half of it for your 2 panels. I would be careful, having a RV dealer install your panels as they pretty much know NOTHING about SOLAR, SOLAR installations and batteries, but they will tell you that they do. If you decide to have a professional install them, make sure they have done it on an RV.

If you can take 2 pieces of cardboard the size of your panels, lay them out on the TT roof, a distance away from the AC unit, or roof vents... is all you need to do to find the perfect location for them. I know that you can attach the mounting brackets to the panels, lay them on the roof where you want to mount them, drill the small pilot holes, load the mounting locations with self leveling sealant, lay the panel on them, use the larger mounting screws to attach the panels to the roof, another batch of self leveling sealant over the top of the screws/brackets and they are mounted.

There are different ways of getting your cables down to the SOLAR charge controller/batteries, like the fridge roof vent, the holding tank vent pipes, vinyl cable channeling.... It is not difficult at all... I have step by step instructions on how I did mine in the RVing with SOLAR social group.. just page down until you get to the post.

Not sure as to what type of battery you purchased as Deep Cycle batteries are rated in Amp Hours and not amps, and are not Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) rated.

I am sure that others that have installed their systems will share information regarding their installations... driveway camping is a great way to get started and work the bugs out of the TT.

Good Luck

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #14

X2 on not having the dealer install the solar panels, etc.

I'm almost 49 and have DIY'd it with a lot of help here (much appreciated) and a lot of research. It is very doable; but, it does take some time.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #15

What was I thinking !!! lol Dealer will tell you they can install anything for a price.
I opted for the 100W portable suitcase because I just have the time to screw around with a major installation, I realize it will probably not be enough but Im coming from a popup where nothing worked anymore so just to have LED lighting all night will be a bonus.

Love this forum you guys are great, thanks again for all the help!