Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Backup Camera Mounting

Hi All!
Planning on mounting a backup camera on the back wall of my 2012 X19H, above the bunk door.
Does anybody know what the wall is made of, and what fasteners / methods of mounting the camera bracket work best?

I am a little worried about using self tapping or wood screws.

Thanks for any input on this!
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #2

I have a 2013 x17z and mounted a camera with self tapping screws. So far, so good.

When I mounted my solar panels to the roof, the manufacturer of the panels had recommended "well nuts" or as HD calls them, brass expansion nuts: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...4358/204276054

jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Hi Jim!
The back of my trailer looks very similar to yours. I just spend some time in and around it, and came up with an idea:
- take the red cap off of that light in the center, and take the bulb out.
- place a box like this over the light with a cutout for the light base so the box fits over the light. Attach with screws.
- attach the camera to the box lid / cover.

The box would be easy to seal / caulk around. The wiring would already be there and the camera would turn on with the truck's lights.

Any thoughts, concerns, problems with that?
I could even use machine screws with washers to attach the box, there is a piece of trim on the inside at that location that easily would hide the screws.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #4

Jim, with the self tapping screws, did you pre-drill? What kind of caulk did you use for the screw holes?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #5

A couple of suggestions.

The wall is mostly aluminum framing and a bit of wood, but those clearance lights only screw into the luan behind the fiberglass. There is no structure there.

If you want structure it should be fairly easy to add. Unscrew the back trim piece from the top shelf directly behind those lights (two screws). This exposes the wiring and the rough cuts for the wiring access. Poke your finger into the hole to confirm if there is structure or not.

If no structure there (none on my '11) I would probaby just use a razor knife to cut a small bit of the inside paneling, and then insert a wood backer to provide more structure for the camera to attach to.

Just guessing, but I think @jimovernon probably just missed the top header. An inch higher probably would have hit it. Was looking for the pictures from @Scott91370 that shows the whole header space in this area during a roof off restore (think his is an '07, but matches my '11 very well). That might help you locate structure for mounting.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #6

Yes, Bankr63 is correct. I have additional photos in my registry at https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...17z-52512.html

I had removed the access to the wiring from inside and did not want to attach to the aluminum tubing as the wiring ran through the mounting bracket. My camera had a cast aluminum housing but was pretty light, so I decided to use the self tapping screws, started with a drill (no pre-drill) and finished by hand to not strip out. Then I used OSI Quad caulk to seal everything up.

Inside, behind the access panel, I had the option of tapping into the running lights or there was also a 12 volt wire that was hot. I considered tapping into the hot wire and mounting a switch, but knew I would always forget to turn it on/off so I decided to go with the running lights.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks to both of you!
I will also be using the running light wire. I also would always forget to turn off the camera, and controlling it with the truck's light switch seems perfect.

I was thinking about some backing behind that trim, but I think I'll go with 3 or 4 machine screws (#8, 2.5" long) to go all the way through the wall to mount that box. On the inside, I would use rather large washers. I don't think anything will ever happen there, this would be stronger than wood or machine screws, and even that I think would be perfectly fine.
I'll caulk the screw holes with silicone, and the outside of the box with ProFlex making it double safe in terms of being watertight. I had a water intrusion problem in my previous trailer, and that wasn't pretty. So I am a bit paranoid with that.