Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
The ball size would be 2 5/16", not 2". Also, lifting upon the tongue is not good advise either, my TT has a 600lb tongue weight, even if loaded improperly and possibly lightening the tongue weight somewhat........I still couldn't lift 300 or 400 lbs.......LOL!
I recall someone posting a few years back, that the 17Z's use a 2" ball. But I could be wrong. Never the less, the average person should not be able to wiggle the tongue on this TT. I doubt the whole family sitting on the rear bumper would have much noticeable affect.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidihw View Post
Well you guys were right about never needing to use a hammer to get the latch to go over the coupler! Just stopped at an RV service and had a guy ride with us to listen to it. The latch that goes over the coupler is bent (sold to us that way by that dingbat RV place) which is why it requires a hammer to put on. The RV guy thinks that this allows the camper to move up and down just slightly when traveling at higher speeds (when the wind hits it) giving us that banging noise. We will try replacing the latch to see if that works. (My husband is a little skeptical that this will do it, we’ll see.) Thanks for your expertise everyone!

I would agree with that diagnosis, like I said earlier in this thread, a hammer should never be used and IMO your noise issue could be connected to hammer use. Not sure if just the latch on 2 5/16" couplers are replaceable......I know on 2" they are, not sure on the larger 2 5/16 though. Might need to have a whole new A frame coupler replaced, old one removed and a new one welded on.

Was the unit new or used when you purchased it?
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I recall someone posting a few years back, that the 17Z's use a 2" ball. But I could be wrong. Never the less, the average person should not be able to wiggle the tongue on this TT. I doubt the whole family sitting on the rear bumper would have much noticeable affect.
You might be right.....hope so because then the OP can easily replace the latch, as opposed to 2 5/16 which I believe you would have to have a whole new coupler welded on.

Also, if it happens to be a 2", make sure the shank size of the ball matches the hole size on the insert. I have seen, many times, a 3/4" shank 2" ball in an insert with a 1" hole........not good!
Old 07-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #24

I have been following this post most of the morning and picked up some good information. It got me to thinking about my trailer hitch. I always grease my hitch ball before a trip, but how long had it been for the latch and lever. Never! Just went out and lubed all the moving parts and what do you know it works a heck of a lot better! I will add this to the " once in a while things to do list". Just thought I would pass this along.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
I have been following this post most of the morning and picked up some good information. It got me to thinking about my trailer hitch. I always grease my hitch ball before a trip, but how long had it been for the latch and lever. Never! Just went out and lubed all the moving parts and what do you know it works a heck of a lot better! I will add this to the " once in a while things to do list". Just thought I would pass this along.
I never specifically lube the moving parts that you see on the outside, as the bearing grease works it way in to them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
I keep my latch well maintained with a good quality dry lubricant, you don't want to attract dirt.

Also, I know that many will say they grease the ball..........not sure that's recommended and in 40 years of RV'ing, towing tent trailers, towing travel trailers, towing boats, towing snow machines, towing cargo trailers......I have NEVER greased a ball.......messy practice and have never felt the need.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:42 AM   #27

About a month ago I traded in my 2016 X17Z. It used a 2" ball. My new TT uses a 2 5/16" if I recall correctly.
2022 Prime Time Avenger 27DBS (Bought New 2022)
2021 Ford F250 XL 6.2L (Bought Used 2024)
Husky 32215 WDH
Millertyme76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #28

Found this thread as I was having a similar banging sound at high speed and finally figured out I had a loose licence plate and the turbulence would cause it to flap. If it helps and you haven't solved it.
Rob B is offline   Reply With Quote