Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

battery charging?

If I leave my 23b connected to 120v all the time will it keep my battery charged from an inverter or do I need to put a trickle charger on it?
Jason Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

The "converter" will charge your battery if properly connected (no reason to believe it isn't). I find it better (as long as I don't need shore power for anything else, i.e., when I am parked in the driveway between uses), to use my trickle charger/desulfater (batteryminder model 1500) to keep my batteries topped off and sulfate free.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #3

X2 I use a small trickle charger as well when my 23B is parked. I prefer to not leave the trailer plugged into shore power unless I'm camping.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #4

I leave my trailers connected to shore power all the time when not in use however I have a smart mode converter/charger installed in them. The constant 13.6VDC that comes from the single mode older converter/chargers units is right at the boiling out the battery fluids point which will destroy your batteries unless you carefully watch the fluids levels. Before getting the smart mode technology converter/charger installed in my trailers I would have to check the battery fluids at least every two weeks and add distilled water to them. I still watch the fluid levels today out of habit but have not added any distilled water to the batteries since installing smart mode technology converter/charger units.

Using trickle chargers is probably very safe as far as boiling out battery fluids over time since not much DC current is involved...

Actually just totally switching or disconnecting the battery NEG terminal leads would be just as safe as if you charge up your battery to full charge state it will remain that way for many many months when totally disconnected out of your trailer circuit. I have always felt better however running the batteries on smart mode charging technology. This does the best battery maintenance for you automatically.

Using smart mode technology converter/charger units is very safe for the batteries leaving the trailer connected to your home shore power connections.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

I have a trickle charger but haven't found a need to use it. Between trips our RV is parked in the driveway with the battery disconnect fuse pulled (some folks have a disconnect switch installed). This way there is no drain on the battery. Sometimes it sits for a month or more between trips, and the battery shows no sign of depletion. We plug in the RV a few days before leaving (to get the fridge cold) and during this time the on-board converter tops off the battery if needed.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #6

You don't really need a trickle charger, if you are hooked up to 120v all the time just turn on a light in the trailer, like in the storage or something, just enough to keep a draw on the battery so your on board charging system has something to do, this prevents killing your batteries too.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

What about someone like me, that keeps my TT in a storage area where there isn't any electric?

Would a solar battery charger work? If so, what size do I need?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
What about someone like me, that keeps my TT in a storage area where there isn't any electric?

Would a solar battery charger work? If so, what size do I need?
I used to do that but stopped using the solar charger. What I do now, is just remove the battery completely. When you are ready to go camping again, your battery should be fine and ready for a charge.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #9

I have a 5 watt Solar charger made by Sunforce. It works very well and keeps my battery topped off.

The charger only gets full sun light some days and even then, only part of the day (5-6 hours). However, it works very well and I am very pleased with it. I bought a few more and gave them as Christmas presents to some camping buddies.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input! I will just use a trickle charger and not leave it connect to house power all the time! I really don't run anything from the battery I just know that in order for the emergency brake system to work on the trailer the battery needs to be charged.
Jason Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote