Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Bedding for Toddlers

Tonight my family will be at Camp-Driveway for our first night in our X23B. We're doing a test run in preparation for Memorial Day weekend.

Until now, we have always had motor coaches. Our now 3yr old son would sleep in a pack-and-play or in the dinette with a toddler rail to prevent him from rolling or crawling out. Arrangements were good.

We've never camped in a tent or pop-up. So we have no idea what to expect in terms of temperatures out in the fold-out beds. Our plan was to put him in the aft bed, while my wife and I sleep in the forward bed.

That said, what bedding do you suggest for him? Comforter? Sleeping bag? He's very mobile...rolls all over the place in his sleep.

We're not worried about him falling. Mostly concerned about him rolling into the tenting, getting cold, or getting smothered by giant comforters.

Your thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

I'd go with a sleeping bag. I don't know where you will be but a 40 degree bag (The ratings systems are a lot like tow ratings!) is a good choice and bring along a zipped fleece. If the bag is to hot, he can use just the fleece. At the other extreme, if it gets too cold you can put the fleece in the bag.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

My 4 year old grandson started camping with us when he was three. He is someone that could easily wind up with his head where his feet were when he fell asleep. We went with his little "kid size" sleeping bag. If it was cooler at night, we'd just put an extra blanket over him. The sleeping bag helped

We had a pop up in the early 90's when our kids were kids. We never camped anywhere that didn't have shore power; we didn't boondock. As long as we had the A/C going in the heat of night, or heater when really chilly, the beds were temperature comfy. We did have to keep the curtains open though when one or the other was running. HOpe this helps a little and have fun in Camp Driveway!!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

It can get cool in the bunk ends when the temp drops. we have taken a down bag before and that helps. It will be cooler and hotter out in the bunk ends than the rest of the camper.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

Oh, I'm in SE Michigan. The test-run went great. My wife's friend who has a pop-up suggested using a twin comforter on the queen bed for our son. It worked well.

We use an electric space heater instead of propane, since it's "free." Last night's challenge was making sure his side of the camper was warm enough. We'll address that by getting one of those indoor/outdoor wireless thermometers, and we'll stick the transmitter in his sleeping area.

I still think we'll go for the sleeping bag. I like that idea best.

Only other thing I noticed is that we need an electrical outlet near the floor, left of the circuit panel so we can plug in the baby monitor. That's an evening job. Easily done.

I LOVE THIS CAMPER!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Team

I LOVE THIS CAMPER!!!

That`s what we like to hear! Glad all went well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

We had a hybrid (Antigua) and traveled with young kids. We found that the tent ends would let in the early light waking the little ones a little earlier than we would like. The other issues we had were it getting too damp in the bunk. The solution we came up with was similar to Popup Gizmos but home made and fashioned from space blankets. They kept the light out in the morning (or from the security light being left on by some inconsiderate neighbors) reduced the condensation and kept the heat and cooling where it belongs.

We went the sleeping bag route, but they always ended up out of the bag so we just got regular sheets and blankets, tucked them in really well and that worked better for us.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #8

We have twin 3 yr olds that share one end of our 17Z. We use sleeping bags and blankets, and that generally works fine. To keep them from rolling out of bed we use a foam wedge called a bed bug bumper. To keep them off the tentage sides we use old lightweight sleeping bags that are rolled up and tied to resemble a thin body pillow. This seems to allow enough "fence" to keep them from rolling against the tentage at night.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
We found that the tent ends would let in the early light waking the little ones a little earlier than we would like. The other issues we had were it getting too damp in the bunk. The solution we came up with was similar to Popup Gizmos but home made and fashioned from space blankets. They kept the light out in the morning (or from the security light being left on by some inconsiderate neighbors) reduced the condensation and kept the heat and cooling where it belongs.
This is a big deal to us. Our son woke us up at 0630 (a full hour earlier than on school days). Would using a tarp have the same effect? What is special about space-blanket material to justify that investment? Where do you buy that material?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

Our Kids & our grand kids wore pj's with feet, sheet's and blankets. Thier mother or grandmother as the case may be would throw another blanket on when we went to bed. Everybody was happy in the morning so I guess the system worked again.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFairmount View Post
This is a big deal to us. Our son woke us up at 0630 (a full hour earlier than on school days). Would using a tarp have the same effect? What is special about space-blanket material to justify that investment? Where do you buy that material?
I didn't buy the covers that I linked to, I made my own by purchasing space blankets from I think it was EMS sports. I taped them together and held them on with clothes pins. The space blankets reflected the sun and therefore the heat during the day, and they drastically reduced the condensation and that wet feeling at the bottom of the bunk. Finally, they blocked the light. I made mine with complete sides and was very glad that I did.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #12

We just came back from our maiden voyage with our 3 and 5 year olds. We have a 17z. We use a combination of blankets and sleeping bags and it was fine. We ran the furnace which helped. About falling out we just place a duffle or large bag at the end. Not an issue.

Cheers
Enjoy
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #13

WE purchased the pop up gizmos and this does help with climate control and light through the top we also purchased their new liners which will block a lot of light but they are a hassle and with young children sleeping in the bunk ends I would not put those up fore their safety but what we have now done is purchase auto sunshades and zip them in between the window screen and these work great they also help with the temp and are much easier to set up and with these the kids won't be able to roll upon them etc and possible pull them down,etc. So our best combination so far is the pop up gizmo on the top outside and the sunshades in the 3 zipper sections.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote