Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #1

Best winter cover

Hello all,
Just joined the forum, as I just bought my first camper ever. A 2018 16XRB. So much to to learn, and understand about these things. I’m hoping to learn from the knowledgeable people on this site.
So my first inquiry is—
What is the best winter storage cover for my 16XRB? I live in N.E. So there will be snow!
Thank you
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #2

We rarely get snow, but we’ve had good luck with our Elements All Climate cover. It has held up well through rainy winters and hot sun. Got it through Camping World. Welcome to the forum.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Oh, we do get snow. I've always had Adco covers, and the last one made it way over the expected life span, but this time, I bought one this spring from National RV covers. I have yet to put it on, but the company came with much better reviews, and prices.

http://https://www.nationalrvcovers.com/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #4

I was told that covers were not good for trailers as mold would develop under them. I have always stored my trailers in covered barns. I pay $300 for the winter season for my 16xrb
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
I was told that covers were not good for trailers as mold would develop under them. I have always stored my trailers in covered barns. I pay $300 for the winter season for my 16xrb
I’ve had my cover on during an entire winter— through rain and all — and no hint of mold or mildew. It’s a good breathable cover with ample vents.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

I was also considering getting a cover for my 16XRB as it snows here where I am. I'm confused about what is better for the unit, to cover or uncover as I have heard pros and cons to both. Is it worth the purchase, and what is its intended purpose, to stop snow from building up and melting directly on the unit?
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #7

My son uses a cover on his mobile home here in MA. and has not ever had any issues with mold mildew or whatever on his roof or elsewhere. Of course he uses a Breathable type cover, and buys middle of the road quality every 3 or so years. His mobile home has a fiberglass roof which I think is more susceptible to cracks, and seal problems than a rubber roof from winters wrath. I will be covering my 2018 16XRB, with a breathable cover and brushing off the heavy snow that accumulates after big snow storms.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
My son uses a cover on his mobile home here in MA. and has not ever had any issues with mold mildew or whatever on his roof or elsewhere. Of course he uses a Breathable type cover, and buys middle of the road quality every 3 or so years. His mobile home has a fiberglass roof which I think is more susceptible to cracks, and seal problems than a rubber roof from winters wrath. I will be covering my 2018 16XRB, with a breathable cover and brushing off the heavy snow that accumulates after big snow storms.
So the average life span is around 3 years for a cover? Also what are some trusted brands for covers?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
So the average life span is around 3 years for a cover? Also what are some trusted brands for covers?
I’m in my third year with ours and it’s in very good shape. We don’t have super-cold, snowy winters, so it doesn’t get too beat up, but we make up for it with intense sun and heat beginning in spring. It is an Elements All-Climate cover from CW.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Adco seems to make a good cover. I’ll be looking into them pretty soon. Want something with a soft inside material, that won’t scratch or rub the sides when the blistering wind blows, and has side vents to breath. Can also get them with a zippered door, so you can access the inside without taking the cover off.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
Adco seems to make a good cover. I’ll be looking into them pretty soon. Want something with a soft inside material, that won’t scratch or rub the sides when the blistering wind blows, and has side vents to breath. Can also get them with a zippered door, so you can access the inside without taking the cover off.
The Elements has all of the above.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #12

As winter is approaching I am finally ready to look into winter covers as well. I have seen recommendations for ADCO and Elements. Not sure if there is others to consider or certain key features I should look for? I as well have a 16XRB and was wondering if there is specific covers folks have had good experiences with. Links are greatly appreciated as well to amazon ect...
Old 11-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #13

I ended up buying the Adco Tyvak cover 15-18 ft. For my 16XRB. It seems well built, but we’re see how it holds up in the NewEngland elements this winter, and through the years
Old 11-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #14

Going on my 6th winter here in Pennsylvania with my Addco Cover. Had to sew some small tears but no problem.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Our first cover was an Adco, and lasted 7 NY winters before showing its age to the point we wanted to get a new one. They don't make the same cover anymore, so we now have one from National RV Covers, I believe it's the Expedition 2 model, and am impressed with the quality so far. Maybe another option to check out.

https://www.nationalrvcovers.com/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #16

After hunting around at local rv stores I have been having alot of trouble finding a cover as most places are sold out. Also not much in the way of Adco on the canadian amazon. However there is this one model(adco seems to make a bunch of different models). Does any one have one of these specific adco covers? If so is it any good?

https://www.amazon.ca/Covercraft-748...%2C186&sr=8-10
Old 11-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
After hunting around at local rv stores I have been having alot of trouble finding a cover as most places are sold out. Also not much in the way of Adco on the canadian amazon. However there is this one model(adco seems to make a bunch of different models). Does any one have one of these specific adco covers? If so is it any good?

https://www.amazon.ca/Covercraft-748...%2C186&sr=8-10
It looks and sounds identical to my Elements All-Climate cover, down to the gutter covers and storage bag. It has been a great cover so far. I also have a truck cab cover by Covercraft, which also looks very similar to this. I was extremely happy with the company and quality. One thing I don’t see is zippers on the side to allow you to enter the trailer when covered. That is really a nice feature.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #18

I have the.
DESIGNER SERIES TYVEK TRAVEL TRAILER RV COVER
Brand: ADCO
Material: Designer Tyvek
SKU: 34838.
Unfortunately it’s sold out from the online store I purchased it from.
RV Covers. Com
The 15-18 foot size fits my 16XRB wit room to spare. It has the zippered side to allow entry.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #19

Just a quick straw poll. I took a look around our storage lot last visit. Most units would have been winterized and put away for the winter as temps were already dropping below freezing at night. There are approximately 150 spots at our lot, mostly RV trailers. I counted 6 trailers with covers and all the rest (like mine) were naked to the elements. That's about as many as I remember from past mid-winter check-ins. Interestingly, all of the boats (about a dozen) were wrapped for the winter, so maybe that's the way to go <jk>? More people do protect their tires however.
So yeah, for our severe winters here in Eastern Ontario, it looks like the consensus is don't cover (or don't care - you decide).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #20
Site Team

Since a good cover runs north of about $300, maybe they prefer not to spend the money on one, don't believe they're worth the expense, or maybe are physically unable to put one on. It could be they see all the trailers uncovered on dealer lots in the winter, and figure it's the norm. Hard to say for sure.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD