Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #1

Bike rack

I have a 2015 x18z and want to know if I can add a hitch to the bumper for a bike rack. I don't want to jepordize the integrity of the frame. Any ideas or thoughts?
kkeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Run a search and sit back in a comfortable chair to read. I decided not to hang a bike rack off my bumper.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

kkeepers.... You bumper is welded to safely hold the weight of your bumper, maybe if you are lucky it is rated to hold a spare tire.

A bike rack is essentially a large lever. You are going to extend a lever up three feet from your bumper and then add a 90 degree load bearing arm. I am not a mathematician... but I do recall from highschool that a lever multiplies force placed upon an object. So 60lbs of bikes becomes hundreds of pounds of force applied to your bumper and that is under static conditions. Add to that the bouncing you will encounter on the highway and the force is again multiplied.

I have never witnessed a bumper being ripped off at highway speed... But I imagine it would be quite entertaining to see... Unless I was the guy behind you

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Site Team

It looks like a giant sparkler at night!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

No, you shouldn't do it. Some 2015's were available with a trailer hitch. Find out if that is an option for you. You can buy them from your dealer and bolt it on yourself. They are rated for 500 lbs or something like that.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #6

Back Hitch

I bought a CURT adjustable hitch and bolted it on to the frame of my X23b. I also put a mover grade strap on the top of the bike rack and tied on each side to the frame to eliminate as much of the movement as I can.

2015 Jayco Jay Feather X23B Hybrid
2014 GMC Savana Van 5.3L
RalphF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

The optional rear cargo hitch from Jayco is rated for 300lbs. I got one for our 32 BHDS, but haven't mounted it yet. A few members I have asked about it have been very happy with up to 4 bikes on it.

I also bought the u bolt kit (can't remember the "name") that eliminates hitches from rattling, and keeps bike racks from bouncing since my bike rack uses a standard hitch pin.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphF View Post
I bought a CURT adjustable hitch and bolted it on to the frame of my X23b.
Do you have a part number or a link by any chance? Thanks!

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
Do you have a part number or a link by any chance? Thanks!
X2
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #10

Nice write up Griswald One!

I have a Jayco Jay Featherlight SLX16XRB, and it has the spare tire mounted on it's bumper (came from factory like this). In no way was I going to mount a bike rack to this bumper without any type of reinforcement of the bumper and/or its bumper brackets to frame.

Took it to an RV center. They examined the frame, and said they could safely reinforce the brackets and frame to allow for a bike rack, but the price was too steep for me. Maybe someone with welding skills could make this a DIY project at home for cheaper.

I hauled the bikes twice in the back of the pickup bed; we never removed them from the bed those times, so I don't bother to take them with us anymore!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #11

The SLX series has a different frame than the other Jayfeather hybrid trailers and from what I understand can hold bikes and/or a welded hitch. The non-SLX like mine cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I hauled the bikes twice in the back of the pickup bed; we never removed them from the bed those times, so I don't bother to take them with us anymore!
That's too bad. Riding is a major feature of most of our trips. Lots of old railroad grades and county bike trails in WI. Don't know what you ride, but it helps to have decent quality bikes too. We didn't ride much before we got our current bikes. In fact, just like you, we'd take them along and never ride them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #12

There are LOTS of forum threads already on the BIKE topic ... and for many of us, all the wonderful suggestions for hauling them just won't work. We don't want to hang a rack off the TT or TV and the lidded truck bed is already consumed with generators, firewood, and other goodies.

SO ... DH and I went a different route by purchasing 26" folding bikes with bags; we chose the Columba RJ26A that weigh 34# each. Folding bikes are available through Amazon but we purchased ours direct from the manufacturer - 2Ksilver; bike reviews are good and the price is reasonable.
SP26s: Columba SP26S Folding Bike with Shimano 18 Speed Review
RJ26A: Columba Shimano Folding Bike Review | Best Folding Bike Reviews

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

It is the CURT 13703. Just to tell you will have to drill into the frame to bolt on the hitch. It is adjustable to 72" You can also have it welded on if you prefer. I bought it on Amazon for $250.00. Cheaper than having my bikes and bumper laying on the road.

2014 GMC Savana Van 5.3L
Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
There are LOTS of forum threads already on the BIKE topic ... and for many of us, all the wonderful suggestions for hauling them just won't work. We don't want to hang a rack off the TT or TV and the lidded truck bed is already consumed with generators, firewood, and other goodies.

SO ... DH and I went a different route by purchasing 26" folding bikes with bags; we chose the Columba RJ26A that weigh 34# each. Folding bikes are available through Amazon but we purchased ours direct from 2Ksilver; bike reviews are good and the price is reasonable.
Well that's true. It's all about priorities. What's important to each of us on a camping trip. We're avid riders, folding bikes for us just wouldn't cut it. A generator we don't need, we have to buy firewood locally to where we are camping, and for just 2 of us there isn't a lot of need to carry "stuff" in the truck bed.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphF View Post
It is the CURT 13703
Thank you. Just a quick question, did you run this past Jayco or Norco before doing this mod?

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
Thank you. Just a quick question, did you run this past Jayco or Norco before doing this mod?
I ran it by my dealer as they said that would be the only way to haul bikes and they were good with it.. They definitely told me to not use the bumper to hold any weight.

2014 GMC Savana Van 5.3L
Old 08-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
SO ... DH and I went a different route by purchasing 26" folding bikes with bags; we chose the Columba RJ26A that weigh 34# each. Folding bikes are available through Amazon but we purchased ours direct from the manufacturer - 2Ksilver; bike reviews are good and the price is reasonable.
SP26s: Columba SP26S Folding Bike with Shimano 18 Speed Review
RJ26A: Columba Shimano Folding Bike Review | Best Folding Bike Reviews
Bikes arrived this weekend and boy are we thrilled. They are very sturdy, easy to set-up (10-15 minutes), and can be folded-up and stored in the bags within minutes; during transit they will 'ride' in our TT.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #18

Folding bikes (no stinkin' bike rack needed)

Quote:
Bikes arrived this weekend and boy are we thrilled. They are very sturdy, easy to set-up (10-15 minutes), and can be folded-up and stored in the bags within minutes; during transit they will 'ride' in our TT.
After our first test ride to the grocery where I got a bag of potatoes! Great ride! You can see where they fold - after the wording and before the seat ... takes about a minute to fold flat (pedals fold up, handlebars fold to the side, handlebars and seat are easily detachable). Note: we did change the seats, added the removable basket, locks, headlights, etc.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:36 AM   #19

It's always nice to see bikes being used at a campground over the usual 50 or so more golf carts wizzing around....

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #20
Site Team

Nice, I really like the larger tires and the suspension that takes some of the rough out.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote