Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Bike Rack for 16 XRB

Just wondering if anyone figured out how best to add a bike rack to the rear of a smaller hybrid. I do not see the type that bolts on the bumber working with the flimsy rear bumper.
BigGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #2

We have a 16XRB as well and I'd like to find a reasonable solution too. I was looking at the Jayco Hummingbird page earlier and they have a picture of something mounted to the tongue. If this is a factory option, I wonder if it would work for our trailers as well.

2017 Hummingbird Travel Trailers | Jayco, Inc.

Let me know if you find something suitable.
FIREBUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #3

Bike rack on tongue

My concern about the tongue mounted one is adding more weight to an already heavy tongue. I haven't had a chance to get a tongue weight scale but I estimate the tongue weight on the 16xrb to be about 400 lbs from the way it affects my truck before hooking up the whole. Also I saw one post where a hybrid user installed one and it interfered with the bunk end and he had to remove it in order to get the bunk lowered.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

I saw a post recently where someone had made a bike rack that attached to the table post hole inside the trailer. It might be a good option for you 16 XRB guys.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ack-37888.html

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #6

When we had an SUV we carried the bikes inside the trailer. Laid them against the counter with old throw pillows on pointy things. Bungee corded them together. Did 3 bikes like that and it worked fine.

I carry them in the truck bed now, sideways with the front wheels off and quick release mounts mounted to 2x4s.

I've also seen photos of people who have done the same thing to carry them in their trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #7

Dual Hitch Receiver

I have been struggling with this issue as well.

I've been putting our bikes in the trailer but even after padding them, the process of moving them in and out makes it hard not to gouge the counter or walls with the pedals while taking them in and out. I also am concerned about the payload weight on my X17Z.

I just ordered a dual hitch receiver so I can mount my normal bike rack on the truck between the truck and trailer.

I'll let you know if I can get that to work. My chains to connect TT to the TV are going to be too short but I'll see if the concept works.
coloradocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #8

I use a Tail-Gator bike rack for my pickup truck. I have hauled my 2 bikes in my X17Z but payload was a concern for me also. The Tail-Gator can be found at Amazon.
huntohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocamping View Post
I have been struggling with this issue as well.

I've been putting our bikes in the trailer but even after padding them, the process of moving them in and out makes it hard not to gouge the counter or walls with the pedals while taking them in and out. I also am concerned about the payload weight on my X17Z.

I just ordered a dual hitch receiver so I can mount my normal bike rack on the truck between the truck and trailer.

I'll let you know if I can get that to work. My chains to connect TT to the TV are going to be too short but I'll see if the concept works.
Be very careful when making tight turns and especially when you are backing. There isn't much clearance and you can easily crunch the bikes between your tow vehicle and your trailer when making a tight pivot while backing.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGrover View Post
My concern about the tongue mounted one is adding more weight to an already heavy tongue. I haven't had a chance to get a tongue weight scale but I estimate the tongue weight on the 16xrb to be about 400 lbs from the way it affects my truck before hooking up the whole. Also I saw one post where a hybrid user installed one and it interfered with the bunk end and he had to remove it in order to get the bunk lowered.
That was probably me, but I really don't see it as an issue. You have to take the bikes off anyway, and pulling the pin and dropping the rack to the ground is a two minute operation. With rack and bikes on the front, the CAT scales show my tongue weight below 15% on my X19H, so not really a problem. The Arvika rack mounts are far enough back on the A-frame that only about 75% of the weight is going to the tongue, and 25% to the TT axle.

Note that the native Arvika type full installations are a bit cleaner; I went for this configuration so I can swap my rack back and forth between the TV and TT when we get to our destination so we can drive to a remote ride.

All solutions have trade offs. Packing the bikes inside is wear and tear, and some here tells the tale of the bike accidentally turning on the propane to the stove while travelling. Bike racks on the back bumper have the leverage effect and get a lot more whip back there. They also have to be unloaded and dropped/removed to drop the rear bunk.

A double receiver may shift the TT further back depending on how it mounts; that can further exacerbate weight distribution issues by moving the TW further behind the rear axle (if the load point is moved further back, you create a From the rear axle loading view, it is also probably worse than the A-frame mount as none of the bike/rack weight is borne by the TT. A front receiver for the TV can be a great solution if it can be fitted as it moves load forward to the front axle, and reduces the amount of weight that needs to be transferred forward by your WDH.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #11

Smile Interesting

Banker that looks pretty good - how is your clearance when turning? Are you using a WDH? I need to see if I can locate the Arvika somewhere.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGrover View Post
Banker that looks pretty good - how is your clearance when turning? Are you using a WDH? I need to see if I can locate the Arvika somewhere.
With my setup, it looks a bit tighter clearance than it really is. When we first installed I took it over to the local parking lot and had my son spot while I tried some very tight turns. No interference, and I have since been able to back into some fairly tight spots without issue.

My setup is probably a worst case as well. The Thule CrossTrack rack is actually fairly long. You can probably find a rack with a shorter arm; I just like the quality of the Thule racks.

I have seen folks with the full Arvika setup here and it sits much closer to the TT, but it is more expensive, and requires an additional adapter to car mount the trailer rack.

I ordered mine from Racks For Cars out of Western Canada. They ship to the US, and with the really great exchange rates, your US$ goes a long way. The 2" receiver is currently on special for C$299 (US$230).
Arvika Travel Trailer A-Frame 2 Inch Receiver - RacksForCars.com

Note that Stromberg Carlson makes a similar item that is available on Amazon; but from the reviews it seemed pretty sketchy, so I stuck with the Arvika and am happy. Very heavy duty and well put together, installation was a bit if a headache with my under tongue spare, but for most other trailers it should be a breeze.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote