Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 8
bike rack for jayco 19h

Just need some advice on best and safest bike racks to purchase for our jayco,adding two adult mountain bikes takes away needed space in the box of our 2011 silverado.Thanks for any advice and a merry christmas to the nicest people on the planet Campers
ebrian waterloo canada
__________________

ebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 923
My opinion only.
Best and safest bike rack is the Arvika over the tongue/propane tanks.
It folds down once you take off the bikes, so you can open the bed end of the trailer.
Also, you can see your bikes in your rear view mirror while driving, and there is much less bounce over the tongue than on the back of the camper.
However, Arvika is also one of the most expensive bike racks out there. But you do get what you pay for.
__________________

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,111
You will get a lot of opinions. Personally, I like my setup, I have a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame rails of the htt. The bumper is not strong enough any bike rack. I have a swag man 4 place platform bike rack. It is easy to load and unload.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You will get a lot of opinions. Personally, I like my setup, I have a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame rails of the htt. The bumper is not strong enough any bike rack. I have a swag man 4 place platform bike rack. It is easy to load and unload.
Agree -- I have a custom welded frame to frame 2"'hitch and swagman 4 bike rack. Mine is the hanging rack, would have preferred the platform, but it wasn't "technically" approved for RV use where the hanging rack was. In retrospect I thought to much and should have just bought the platform and took my chances.

Custom hitch was $300 and bike rack was $180 -- very good setup for less than $500.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Snake Plissken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DeWitt, MI
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
My opinion only.
Best and safest bike rack is the Arvika over the tongue/propane tanks.
It folds down once you take off the bikes, so you can open the bed end of the trailer.
Also, you can see your bikes in your rear view mirror while driving, and there is much less bounce over the tongue than on the back of the camper.
However, Arvika is also one of the most expensive bike racks out there. But you do get what you pay for.
I'm not sure that would work with a 19h since the front (and back) fold down and form the beds like a pop-up.
__________________
MODERATOR

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dolores
Posts: 34
Jagiven and clubhouse can you post pics? We are doing a long trip and are avid mtn bikers. I have the 19h also. Jagiven, does the platform holdup to the whip effect of TT? My bikes are worth quite a bit!
Sw7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I'm not sure that would work with a 19h since the front (and back) fold down and form the beds like a pop-up.
I think it will work. Here's a video of a guy who installed it on his hybrid. He doesn't show it with the bed down, though.

Even if the support poles were too tall when folded down, they can be removed to lower the bed, and reinstalled when ready to travel again.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw7000 View Post
Jagiven and clubhouse can you post pics? We are doing a long trip and are avid mtn bikers. I have the 19h also. Jagiven, does the platform holdup to the whip effect of TT? My bikes are worth quite a bit!
Unfortunately I do not have any pictures and the HTT is in winter storage 100 miles from home.

My brother has followed me a few times and said there is very little bouncing compared to my old setup. I asked him and his DW who followed us on our Laber day trip to video it, so I could see myself, but they did not.

A coworker bought the Swagman 4 place about a two years ago, and stated he had no issues. Which is why I bought it, and I used the platform all year and no issues so far. I monitored the welds and such as I did read that it is not for RV use.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
MrKong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 337
This is the best thing I have found with my needs. Get a front hitch and carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
356.jpg  
__________________
MrKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw7000 View Post
Jagiven and clubhouse can you post pics? We are doing a long trip and are avid mtn bikers. I have the 19h also. Jagiven, does the platform holdup to the whip effect of TT? My bikes are worth quite a bit!
We are heading for a trip over New Years, when I get the trailer out of storage on Monday for that trip I'll try to get some pictures.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.