Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

black spots/mold on the tent ends

I have some small black spots that I assume is mold on the one bunk end. What have ppl used to clean up the mold issue?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

On the inside or outside? We've never had mold on ours but have on an old pop-up. If this really is mold and it's on the inside try 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Sponge it on generously followed by clean warm water. That may not get the stains out but it will kill the mold.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

its on the inside of the canvas. I just noticed it the other day when I was wiping it down after bringing it home from a wet camp outing.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

I've had three pop-ups through the years. I would not use bleach. I used a strong soap (not detergent) like Borax soap. I would use a cheese grater to grate the Borax soap and mix it in hot water, scrub the material and rinse. Borax is safe and will kill the mold.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

Bleach is toxic and can rot fabric if not completely removed. I have good luck with a product called Concrobium to kill mold completely and remove stains.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have some small black spots that I assume is mold on the one bunk end. What have ppl used to clean up the mold issue?
Spray WELL with undiluted white vinegar to kill the mold spores. Let the area dry completely, then dry brush to remove as much of the residue as possible. Follow by cleaning the area with an oxygen bleach (e.g., "Oxy-Clean"--mixing & application directions are on the container). Good luck!

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Make sure that you're not putting them away wet. If it rains, you want to let them dry before packing them in or undo them at home once it stops raining so they can dry out. Since yours was on the inside, make sure you're not getting condensation on the inside that doesn't have a chance to dry before you pack up. We used to get inside condensation until I found out that completely closing things off overnight when it gets cold was a bad idea. Now, even if it's cold, I'll leave a corner of one of the flaps unzipped and crack the bathroom vent a bit. Since doing that we haven't had condensation once on the inside.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote