Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Black water tank cleaning question for x17z owners

All my wife and I are picking up our new x17z on Monday and will take it on its first trip on Tuesday. My question is when dumping what is the best way to clean the black tank. I'm not sure if the 2015 model has a flush line. I know they added it to the 2016. If not then how is it done so it's fully cleaned. Thanks for everyone's help.
Kjgriffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #2

If your new TT does not have a black tank flush, you can add one, or get a tank cleaning wand that you put down the toilet. it works well for my camper, and the tank is almost spotless after 7 years of camping.
Happy Camping, and enjoy your new TT.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Jay View Post
If your new TT does not have a black tank flush, you can add one, or get a tank cleaning wand that you put down the toilet. it works well for my camper, and the tank is almost spotless after 7 years of camping.
Happy Camping, and enjoy your new TT.

So we bought a wand and it seems useless. I shove it down the hole and almost it immediately it hits something. Maybe a couple inches into the hole. Like a solid, bottom. But I doubt the bottom of the tank could be that close. So I don't get how I could ever use it to clean the tank.

WTF?
Old 08-16-2015, 12:49 AM   #4

We have often done fill and flush after the initial dump to help clean out the tank. We just stick a hose in the commode, fill the tank and dump again. repeat as necessary for a clean tank.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
So we bought a wand and it seems useless. I shove it down the hole and almost it immediately it hits something. Maybe a couple inches into the hole. Like a solid, bottom. But I doubt the bottom of the tank could be that close. So I don't get how I could ever use it to clean the tank.

WTF?

Not sure how well they work, but you could get a Flush King

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Have you used a flashlight to look down the toilet to see if you have the dreaded "poop pyramid"? This will also tell you how deep the tank is on the toilet end. A flush king may not work if you have a long line from the hose connection to the tank itself. A quick look under the TT will give you an idea of how long the drain line is and approximate tank depth as well.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjgriffi View Post
All my wife and I are picking up our new x17z on Monday and will take it on its first trip on Tuesday. My question is when dumping what is the best way to clean the black tank. I'm not sure if the 2015 model has a flush line. I know they added it to the 2016. If not then how is it done so it's fully cleaned. Thanks for everyone's help.
I don't have an x17z, but I think all black tanks are similar and will never be really clean once used.

The main thing about dealing with a black tank is to never dump it unless it is nearly full; you need the rush of fluid to empty it out properly. Also, if you are connected to a sewer at your site, never just leave the black tank valve open; let it fill up and then empty it. If you need to dump the tank and it is not full, add water to it before dumping.

After you have dumped, add a couple of toilet bowl fulls of water to the tank; the sloshing that occurs when driving will help keep the tank from collecting deposits.

Your built in black tank flusher has a combination check valve/antisiphon valve; if it is the same brand that Jayco and others have been using (BB 571) it is prone to leaking.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

After I dump the black tank I just fill my 5gal. bucket right there in the shower and pour it down the toilet and it's clean and easy. Now I'm off to my next ocean view!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
After I dump the black tank I just fill my 5gal. bucket right there in the shower and pour it down the toilet and it's clean and easy. Now I'm off to my next ocean view!
Same here. I don't do the 5 gallon bucket trick every time, but it really works well at flushing leftover "stuff" from the tank. It also helps to dump one or two 5 gallon buckets in when the tank is still about 3/4 full. That really stirs "stuff" up, especially higher up on the inner sidewalls of the tank.

In fact, I'm going to do that right now. It's time for my weekly dump session.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

Thanks for all the tips, it will really help us news out!
Kjgriffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post

In fact, I'm going to do that right now. It's time for my weekly dump session.
Lol

Tags
black, clean, x17z