Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Branch broke off a tree today

Very bad winds here in northern Massachusetts today and a branch fell from my tree and went through my roof of my X19H. From an insurance perspective would this be considered totaled at this point?
Attached Thumbnails
FD9EB5E5-8B6E-4614-91CB-0190FB3626E2.jpg  
Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #2

A "Total" is one of two situations.

The repair costs more than the replacement of the RV.

The RV is damaged beyond repair, see above. (rollover, massive collision, etc.)

I would bet unless water got in, massive mold, substantial frame damage, etc.. that a roof puncture that will cost for a few hundred to a couple thousand. Unless your unit is very old it is probably repairable way below value.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

ahhhh... some duct tape and bubble gum, she'll be fine.

What RogerR said. ^^^^
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #4

Our roof replacement for the 1st hail damaged trailer was more like 10K, but our trailer was 26'. And, they do change by the square footage for roof replacement.

On our 2nd hail damaged trailer, the damage was immediately noted over 75% of the value. That trailer had water infiltration found later, but Allstate totaled it for the 75%.

Although similar, totaling a trailer was not the same as a car.

1. Make sure you know exactly what your policy states as far as replacement.
2. Know the value of your current trailer per that replacement value.
3. Get on a ladder and take high quality pictures of every inch of the trailer. Then look at those pictures on a computer so you know all the damage before they arrive to evaluate your trailer.
4. Comps for replacement will likely be used to value your existing trailer. They kept picking 4 comps that were poor comparisons to my existing trailer. They tried comparing shorter trailers, smaller beds, smaller fridges, no bunks, etc. . . This was actually done by a 3rd party, not Allstate. I had them re-do the comps 3 times.
5. Know all your optional equipment and if you have the build sheet make sure you point out those options to the adjuster. That will help with the comps.

Hope some of this helps!

PS And they tried a couple of comps that were literally a days drive away. I said fine. You can add food, lodging and gas to get that camper. They found one closer for a couple hundred dollars more.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

No, that's not totaled. That's a simple repair. If it were MY trailer, I would take the insurance check and repair it myself. Cut the rubber back, cut out the damaged section of roof decking and replace it, then get a wide section of Eternabond tape or liquid EPDM (assuming EPDM rubber roof) and repair the membrane. It would cost less than $100 to fix, insurance will probably pay a couple thousand dollars...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
No, that's not totaled. That's a simple repair. If it were MY trailer, I would take the insurance check and repair it myself. Cut the rubber back, cut out the damaged section of roof decking and replace it, then get a wide section of Eternabond tape or liquid EPDM (assuming EPDM rubber roof) and repair the membrane. It would cost less than $100 to fix, insurance will probably pay a couple thousand dollars...
I’d do one better. Take the insurance money, fix the small hole like mentioned above use the insurance money and have the spray on Roof Armor type roof put on. Sealed for life and way stronger in case this happens again.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I’d do one better. Take the insurance money, fix the small hole like mentioned above use the insurance money and have the spray on Roof Armor type roof put on. Sealed for life and way stronger in case this happens again.
I was thinking the same thing.

https://rv-armor.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA...4aAjK_EALw_wcB

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
IF this is the only damage. Considering it came through the roof, I suggest a closer look up top.

I do question the use of insurance if your plan is to do this, though. You would likely loose money by not getting it completed. If they will pay to fix it, you might want to let them. Not getting it fixed after they pay is questionable, and they certainly won't pay for a repair next time without proof it was repaired properly.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan79 View Post
Very bad winds here in northern Massachusetts today and a branch fell from my tree and went through my roof of my X19H. From an insurance perspective would this be considered totaled at this point?
Terrible news! Wonder how many others had nasty mishaps in that wind. Hope you get 'er fixed in time for your first planned outing. We had 67 mph gusts here in Ohio as well.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

I doubt totaled, especially if you got it weather tight quickly. I would check carefully for damage to the fridge roof vent and A/C which are directly adjacent to hole, and check very carefully to ensure no other damage to the roof membrane from smaller branches.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
IF this is the only damage. Considering it came through the roof, I suggest a closer look up top.

I do question the use of insurance if your plan is to do this, though. You would likely loose money by not getting it completed. If they will pay to fix it, you might want to let them. Not getting it fixed after they pay is questionable, and they certainly won't pay for a repair next time without proof it was repaired properly.
Using insurance money to repair a roof with something better than the factory membrane is common practice. It’s no different than getting insurance for hail damage on a house roof and replacing the shingles with metal instead. A repair is a repair as long as it’s done professionally. The price the factory and dealers charge to repair the factory membrane is so “inflated” that it’s usually more or almost the same cost as a better alternative. Given the choice I’d never use an insurance claim check to put the same exact thin crappy roof back on my rig.

Have the dealer do an exact quote on the repair all labor and parts included. Take that quote to the insurance company and make your claim. See how much the RV Armor roof costs and make the decision from there
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #12

Insurance companies base totaling on the current value verses the repair costs.

Hopefully you have removed the branch, and applied a temporary patch, to keep any water out.

The hardest part of the whole repair will be in the inside, to get it to match.

If the TT is fairly new, I would strongly consider RV Flexarmor or one of the other brands like Linx, as you will NEVER have to check the caulking again.

As long as you make a proper repair, the insurance company will not deny a future claim. That does mean it has to be fixed and sealed. Does not mean the whole roof has to be replaced.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #13

Got the news on Friday that insurance deemed it a total loss
Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan79 View Post
Got the news on Friday that insurance deemed it a total loss
Take the check, buy it back and repair as was mentioned.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Take the check, buy it back and repair as was mentioned.
I did that with a car and came out way ahead. I contacted the regional insurance office that was handling the payment and asked what they were doing with it. They said take it to local car auction.

In my case they shot me a price with the proviso that if I wanted insurance on it anymore than liability I would have to prove repairs.

By buying negotiating a deal I kept my plates and did not have to re-title it so came out way ahead. Kept it for a few months and sold it way above what I had in it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #16

Had a branch about that size go through our roof on our Jayco Motorhome first year we bought it. Insurance adjuster gave us a estimate of 450 dollars we have 500 deductible so fixed myself.. last year had a much larger limb come down and hit my rear slide the state of Florida quickly paid the 6000 dollar bill on that..
Vettnut69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #17

Take good pictures then remove the branch and seal from further water damage.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #18

Roof issues

My question is how did the Ins Co access the value of the trailer in this case? Insurance companies aren't known to very benevolent. Must be a great Ins Co.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #19

We had a small branch go thru our RV roof last year too. A piece of sheet metal, a few screws and a gallon on Henry Roofing Cement and she's as good as new. The only problem was the little branch almost took out my back during the removal process...
Attached Thumbnails
P3160018web.jpg  
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
My question is how did the Ins Co access the value of the trailer in this case? Insurance companies aren't known to very benevolent. Must be a great Ins Co.
Not sure about the OP, but in my case they used comps for available units. As I said earlier, they didn't do an apples to apples comparison initially. I had to argue for that point and money.

Some of this does depend on age and condition in addition to model and options. The are not going to give you $30K for a $10K trailer. My totaled trailer was 356 days old when the hail killed it. The same model and year could still be purchased brand new. It had holes in the roof, ceiling and a cracked cap. I got just about what I had paid for it.

The trailer previous to that one; they just replaced the roof on. It was 6+ years old. The hail damage on that one was much less. No side wall damage or actual holes to the inside/ceiling.