Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

bubbles in decals

I am having an intermittent problem with bubbles in the decals of my 17z. Any suggestions on why and how to get rid of them?
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Weight Rating and VIN# Decals if faded can be reordered by Jayco free of charge.

If you are talking about Jayco decals and stripping then I would try in warm weather to roll the air out with a laminate roller.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Use a tiny pin to pop the bubble, then a soft dry cloth to push the air out, which removes the bubble.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

I use the pin method as well, small hole and smooth it out.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Use a tiny pin to pop the bubble, then a soft dry cloth to push the air out, which removes the bubble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I use the pin method as well, small hole and smooth it out.
The above method mentioned is the only way.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #6

I've also used the pin method, but I've also had some go away by themselves. I can't remember what the weather changes were when they just disappeared. These were with my 2007 Eagle.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #7

Our new 24FBS has some bubbles in the decals, Jayco said to wait before popping them, the bubbles may go away on their own.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

They seem to come and go. I am just concerned it means there is moisture behind the decals
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #9

I've been involved with graphic design and applications helping a friend with his business on the side so let me give you a little info on the graphics. First off graphics can be applied by two methods first being applied dry and the second being applied wet. With that said if there are bubbles in the graphic it can either have residual air or water that wasn't quite worked out at the factory when applied.However both air and water can be removed by making a small pin hole in the center of the bubble and with your finger work the air or water out through the pin hole.Note depending how large the bubble is you may have to make two or three pin holes for it to completely exit. After the bubble is worked out and smooth to your satisfaction you can seal the small pin hole you made by using the same pin by applying a dab of clear nail polish to the head of the pin and ever so lightly just touch the pin hole made in the graphic and let it dry.It is now sealed and no further bubbles will surface in that spot. While on the subject of graphics when you wax or polish your trailer only use a non abasive liquid (spray)wax to the graphic anything else can and will cause damage to the graphic in time.Given that the graphics are exposed to the harsh elements of being outside typicaly at best hold up with their original look for 10 years, unfortunatly thats just the nature of the beast.However knowing this fact when I purchased my new TT I took it to my buddies shop and taped off around the graphics and applied 2 coats of PPG clearcoat over them. Now they will not dull,crack or peel as graphics typicaly do. In addition they can now be polished and waxed as the same as the rest of the TT. Remember graphics are either made of thin clear (plastic) sticker film or (vinyl) and are printed to get the color NOT paint and should be treated differently than paint when caring for them. However if you trade in every few years than just forget everything I mentioned above. LOL I hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #10

Good info, thanks!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

Great info. ADK CAMPER. I have many bubbles on my TT and was adding that on the list of warranty items for CW next month. Sounds like they may do what you said so I may do it myself in the spring. I'm sure I can be more specific than the dealer and it's something so minor even a klutz like me can handle it.
Happy RVing
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Good info, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Great info. ADK CAMPER. I have many bubbles on my TT and was adding that on the list of warranty items for CW next month. Sounds like they may do what you said so I may do it myself in the spring. I'm sure I can be more specific than the dealer and it's something so minor even a klutz like me can handle it.
Happy RVing
Jeff
No problem glad to offer any info I can.

Graphics can be a real pain in the butt and to lay a graphic and have flawless results takes time, patients and proper prep. I'm not sure how much time is spent on laying graphics on trailers on an assembly line but I'd have to say they are probably rushed.