Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Bump in bathroom floor

I have a 19H. During our last camping trip, I noticed a hard "bump" in the middle of the floor in the bathroom. Feels like it runs from near the sink to just in front of the toilet. Though is was from the somewhat difficult leveling job I had. When I got home, the bump was still there. Its not a bubble in the floor, almost feels like its underneath the camper. Any ideas?
drice522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

I would crawl under the trailer and take a look at that area from underneath. Since you say the bump is hard you may have kicked up something from the tires into the floor and caused some damage. Not sure if your floor is one piece or does it have seams that could have lifted.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Not likely to have come from underneath, as that is where the black and grey tanks are located. I have a similar bump back near the door, but it is actually not a bump UP it is a depression DOWN. The sandwich floor construction is prone to soft spots, most often caused by moisture. Now, I am assuming the bump is really a hump from the description; is it perpendicular to the frame? That is the frame cross-member telegraphing up through the floor because it can't sag at that point.

Since it is in your bathroom I would investigate thoroughly for any kind of leaks that may be getting under the flooring. It could be just about anything - a leak around your vent stack on the roof, or the shower dome, or the bathroom vent. It could be a problem with the toilet seal at the floor. It could be a shower leak. It could be a plumbing problem under the sink area. Any one of these could be causing the thin plywood floor veneer to soften and sink. The problem with water leaks is that the symptoms often tend to show up away from the site of the actual leak.

Many people here report on soft floor in general with the sandwich construction, but I would want to be 100% that I had ruled out a leak as the source of any softness.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

An added thought to tell if it is water damage.

Moisture meters are fairly inexpensive on Amazon or if you are or know someone who is seriously into woodworking, or who heats with firewood, they may own one you can borrow. This would allow you to probe down beneath the vinyl without damage to the flooring. It's a quick way to see if you have a bigger problem.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Even a simple straight edge may tell you if it's a bump or everything else has sagged.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote