Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Bunk End Latches

I stopped at the local Jayco dealership today and after getting a couple of things, I walked around the showroom floor. They had a number of hybrids on the floor and the first thing I noticed were the new style bunk end latches. They are mechanically operated lower next to the outside the bunk and catch a stud mounted up on the bunk deck. While is is a good concept, the parts are made of plastic. It doesn't seem very robust to me. I have a 2013 x23b with the cargo latches. The reason, I was told, for the change was because of the height of the latches. Too high for people to reach. I was wondering if people have had issues with the new latches not being sturdy enough. And also general thoughts on the change. Happy Camping!!
dave89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Hmmm..... The old latches work fine for me, then again I'm 6'3".....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

I can see where the latches are too high for many people. I have to stand on tippy toes, I'm 5'8". My wife cannot reach them. I wouldn't want plastic latches. Ours are metal on our 2014 hybrid.
ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

I'm 5'3", have a small foldable stool, and have no problem setting up or tearing down on my own. No one with a brain should have trouble with the latches. Maybe I should order some metal latches before they go out of stock, in case ours ever blow up. I don't want plastic.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
I'm 5'3", have a small foldable stool, and have no problem setting up or tearing down on my own. No one with a brain should have trouble with the latches. Maybe I should order some metal latches before they go out of stock, in case ours ever blow up. I don't want plastic.
I'm 5' 5" and I use a small stool too. Works just fine for me. I also like the heavy metal latches. I have not seen the new latches in person but from the pictures I have seen and posts I have read, I don't want them.
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #6

The new latches do not seem very durable to me. When I posted pics of my 2017 x23b someone noted the 2 steps. I guess the new model does sit up higher.
Kdunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

I have not personally seen the new latches myself but I've seen photos. I don't like them. Our '03 Kiwi had a screw down type which I never cared for. I like the cargo style latches on my '13 X20E.

Not everything is an improvement on newer trailers. Mine was the first year with the new collapsible dinette legs. Terrible. And everyone hates them. I complained to Jayco and asked for an old style set of legs. They said they would give them to me if they had them but they no longer stocked them. I found my own.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #8

We considered a new hybrid this next time around. Frankly, I'm not to sure if we are "hybrid" material anymore, but after seeing the cheap plastic latches Jayco is using for 2017, the hybrid was removed from our consideration. They are so cheap and flimsy, I will bet the farm they won't make it to the 2019 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
Probably not necessary. The cargo latches are not a Jayco specific part and are used on all kinds of trailers. You can get replacements on Amazon, eBay, or eTrailer easily if you ever need to replace one, or upgrade the new ones if they turn out to be a bust.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #10

The new 23B's have a traditional axle that can be flipped. Hence the double step, and the new bunk latch location.

I looked at the latches at the camping show. They appear to be a bake-a-lite type of material. If they are, they are really strong.

They would not bother me.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote