Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

bunk end leak on the deck?

After the torrential rain fall we had this weekend the new canvas did great. The sun came out on Sunday dried everything up great. So once we packed up and started to fold up the 23b ends I slid the queen end mattress in on top of the collapsed table and I noticed a small wet spot out on the end toward the side where the Velcro is to hold it in place. Was not more that I could wipe up with a paper towel but it did cause me concern to wonder how it got there. For it to get between the mattress and deck was baffling. Anyone ever seen that happen? The canvas extends over and covers it to where it snaps on the bottom so I just cannot see how water would have gotten there.
Jason Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #2

Couple of questions; is this your bed or the kid’s bed? If the kids, did they spill a bottle of water, and not tell you? What was the temperature outside? Could you have had some condensation built up and drained there? One more thought, could it have came from a window, the water running down a seam or a zipper?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

It was the queen end that the kids sleep on but, they had no drinks on it. However the end canvas is new and it could have been a seam or zipper. I plan to run some tests on it when I get a few warm days to set it up and spray it! It is just such an odd place and little amount in a small area. Is the Velcro on all models? And is it typical for it to be stapled in place? I thought also maybe one of the kids sleeping bags might have been against the side in that spot and caused it to build up condensation. I did notice more condensation built up on the support bars than on the canvas. Also I suppose that I am doing the right thing by bringing the mattress in on to the table area when it is folded down and not folding it up with the canvas on the end. I have asked but no one seems to really know how to fold the ends up. Popup owners are very cautious about how the canvas gets folded in but this is a different animal.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

I only have seen condensation twice. Once in a similar location to what you mentioned. It was a cold and rainy weekend, I have never had it repeat. The second time was at the end of last year. When I was winterizing the HTT, I opened up the beds and noticed I had condensation on the vinyl side mattress. My guess was it was due to me having the heat on doing work in the HTT and that area was cold in comparison and condensation formed.

As for folding up the ends, I am fairly particular to how I do it. I to grow up with a PU.
- Prep the ends for closing;
-- I pull up and fold the mattress (seam down) I pull the support bar and place it inside the mattress (hook portion of the hook facing up so that it does not damage the fabric).
-- From the outside I push the end wall frame down if it had not fallen, in doing so I free the canvas from the framing. In my opinion it makes setting up easier.
- To close the ends
-- Pull up the skirting and fold it in, I watch the corners close to the hinge really closely during this process
-- Pull the canvas in towards the center of the bunk.
-- Close up the bunk about ¾ of the way
-- Readjust (aka tuck) all the canvas, again checking the lower corners for the skirt getting caught in the hinge.
-- Cross check both sides, close the hatch
-- Cross check both sides and latch’n lock.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really is quick. Before using this closing method I found canvas sticking out of the wall once, and decided I did not want to damage the canvas nor my seals, so I am fairly careful about closing up the unit.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

Once three years ago we were camping at the beach and had a big storm come in. There was nothing to block the wind and rain blowing toward the rear bed. It was raining sideways. We did get a little water blown it through the zipper. First and only time we had water come in during our 17 years of PU and HTT camping.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
Once three years ago we were camping at the beach and had a big storm come in. There was nothing to block the wind and rain blowing toward the air bed. It was raining sideways. We did get a little water blown it through the zipper. First and only time we had water come in during our 17 years of PU and HTT camping.

We have had a same experience. Couple of year ago, when we were in Toronto for a camping, a sudden storm came with rain & took away all.
JENNIFER7SUSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! As for folding the ends up I grew up with pu campers but this experience of "folding up" the ends is quite different. Not to mention that I just bought new ends and want to keep them for a long time! I just was concerned with the queen end and leaving the mattress standing up. The double end seems to be fine and folds up good. It just seems easier to pull the mattress of the deck, fold down the table into a bed and put the mattress on top of it so it is stored flat. So then I fold down the support bar flat on the deck and carefully fold the end into the camper and close up the end. As for the wet spot I am going with you all on the condensation to watch for.