Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #1

Buyers Guide - X23B

Hello, I think we have decided to buy a x23b for this years camping season, moving up from years of tent camping. I did a quick search but didn't see anything in the first 20 pages, but I was looking to see if there is any sort of specific buyers guide or pre-purchase checklist specifically for an x23b. I realize that many items would be the same across multiple models, but didn't know if there was something more specific geared towards this model. Or possibly those that have a 23b wished they checked certain items that they didn't think of?

Any help would be appreciated!
mattfahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF!

You're right there isn't anything special about the X23B that would be much different from another hybrid trailer. You didn't say if you are buying new or used. That would make a difference on what we can tell you. For new, do a search on PDI, or pre delivery inspection. Most dealers will do one for free and use it to teach you how everything works. That's the where you'd want to really pay attention, some even say to make a video of the process. This is also the time to look for things that need fixing before you take it off the lot.

Hopefully you have an adequate tow vehicle. While that's not a real heavy trailer, it's not real light either.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #3

Have them( if they know) show you the correct way to break down the tent ends before you raise it up and lock it in place. Adjust the Shepherds pole to the correct tension so the fabric doesn’t pull away from the main body.
Buy Pop Up Gizmos for the tent ends.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Thanks guys!

We will be purchasing a used unit, hopefully one that is 2015 or newer.

As far as my Tow Vehicle, it is a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the Duramax. By my calculations, I should be okay in all aspects but will need to pay attention to how I load it.
Payload = 1416 pounds
Tongue Rating 760 pounds
Max Tow 7600 pounds

I do plan to purchase a WDH as well.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #5

Our X23B was an ‘12 which we owned for 2 years. It was an excellent HTT but we were angling for something larger. Tho gone we still fondly talk about it.
A word about weights; we towed with an ‘03 Ford Expedition which had a max tow of 8950# so we were good to go, right?
The results from the CAT Scale was a surprise. We were under the Rear GAWR by 88# without the WD bars on and under by 328# with the bars engaged. The weights were taken with only the Bride, myself and the wiener dog aboard. With another couple in the rear seat we were likely over the Rear axle rating. The trailer weight was 4420# with 600# of that on the tongue.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Our X23B was an ‘12 which we owned for 2 years. It was an excellent HTT but we were angling for something larger. Tho gone we still fondly talk about it.
A word about weights; we towed with an ‘03 Ford Expedition which had a max tow of 8950# so we were good to go, right?
The results from the CAT Scale was a surprise. We were under the Rear GAWR by 88# without the WD bars on and under by 328# with the bars engaged. The weights were taken with only the Bride, myself and the wiener dog aboard. With another couple in the rear seat we were likely over the Rear axle rating. The trailer weight was 4420# with 600# of that on the tongue.
Thanks, I'll check the axle ratings on my truck. I don't know them off the top of my head.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

We have a 2019 X23B which we upgraded to in 2019 from our previous X17Z. My opinion is the X23B is the perfect size in regards to hybrid trailers. The slide gives the interior space plenty of room with all the amenities. The only item my wife and I didn’t like was not having a regular shower door . The shower curtain gets water everywhere (2 little kids), I ended modifying the curtain to seal on each end with a magnetic strip, no more water problems. Other than that no real complaints we love the trailer. Definitely treat the canvas with the proper fabric spray and stay on top of rubber weather strips and caulking. Hybrids are prone to water leaks at the tent ends if not maintained and checked regularly. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
9B829804-4E14-4CA9-8B58-0A450EED2B76.jpg  
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #8

Used, OK. If you can get on the roof, do so. Inspect the seals. Inside, look everywhere for evidence of leaks. Check all the caulking around windows, access hatches, etc. Especially look at the corners of the bunk end panels. The caulking can wear off and allow a small amount of water in and damage the wood on the beds, so look inside too under the mattresses for water damage. Look for delamination on the outside walls.

Make sure they show you everything works, the furnace, the water heater on both propane and electric, the AC, the fridge on electric and proane. And the trailer brakes.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #9

We are all set to take our first test run this coming Saturday and are very excited. Thanks to all of you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpg  
Old 05-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #10

Looks sharp! When you get home, spend a little time looking over all the caulk joints, especially on the roof.

We still absolutely love our 23B! We just wish they made a small 5ver version of it. Fixed front bunk and a rear pop out. Slide could be the same or slightly deeper.

Have fun!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Looks sharp! When you get home, spend a little time looking over all the caulk joints, especially on the roof.

We still absolutely love our 23B! We just wish they made a small 5ver version of it. Fixed front bunk and a rear pop out. Slide could be the same or slightly deeper.

Have fun!
Thanks, I picked up some caulk to have on hand and will check out the roof and around the windows and bed ends. Overall the camper looks to have minimal use and in great shape.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfahey View Post
Thanks, I picked up some caulk to have on hand and will check out the roof and around the windows and bed ends. Overall the camper looks to have minimal use and in great shape.
I had to touch up the roof many times, before I got smart and applied eternabond. Only place on the walls I have ever needed to touch up is the corner seams down low, and the upper corners of the diamond plate.

Don't use silicone caulk.

For the walls, I like OSI Quad (extremely sticky), others like ProflexRV. For the roof Dicor self leveling. To get a nice good clean application. I apply painter's tape along side the area to be caulked, so I do not make a big mess.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I had to touch up the roof many times, before I got smart and applied eternabond. Only place on the walls I have ever needed to touch up is the corner seams down low, and the upper corners of the diamond plate.

Don't use silicone caulk.

For the walls, I like OSI Quad (extremely sticky), others like ProflexRV. For the roof Dicor self leveling. To get a nice good clean application. I apply painter's tape along side the area to be caulked, so I do not make a big mess.
My apologies, it was Dicor that I got. We had a small gift certificate to use in the dealer store and I knew I'd put that to use, so I picked one up. Thanks for the recommendations on other brands, certainly will come in handy.