Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Calling all 16XRB owners!

The 16XRB model is narrower by one foot then the sister model X17Z.

My Jayco dealer have both open side by side on the show floor,
I don't know why but I really like that model more then the X17Z.
(maybe it's the big window at the dinette, simple interior, small hybrid that can fit anywhere...)

16XRB owners,
- Are you happy with your unit?
- Have you ever had buyer remorse for any reason?
- How many people camping with you?
- Is any of you have ever towed that model with a V6
(Van or SUV at ~3500lb max towing capacity)

Thanks.

Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

we have one, there are certain things that my old fun finder had that this doesnt that i miss-outside water and speakers and storage on both sides, front stablizer jacks, electric hot water ignition, bathroom fan , quiet a/c. i would have gotten the 17z but we were to close on weight and it was more expensive. i do tow it sometimes with my wrangler that has a 3500lb tow rating and it gets the job done but its not ideal, i think your better off having a larger tow vehicle than you really need. i just had to put a new tranny in the wrangler, i dont think it was towing related as the planatary gear broke but you never know, i do run a aux tranny cooler and have lower gears in axles along with a programmer for the motor/tranny, my jeep is a very underpowered v6.
we have 2 adults and 2 kids camping and there is enough room, even when other kids come over they have enough room to play in the bunks.
feel free to ask anything else
14 SLX 16XRB
JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #3

I've owned a 16XRB for right at a year now. Very happy with it. It's size is perfect for just the wife and myself.
I initially towed this TT with a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 with the 3.0 V6; it did the job, but labored a bit on hills. I recently purchased a 2007 F150 with a 4.6 V8, and it's absolutely no problems with this truck. We are very happy with the layout of the 16XRB, along with the ease of it's setup; drop the bedsides down, connect the sewer hose, water hose, power, and cable (if you watch TV), and lower the stabilizers, and your done.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

We love our 16xrb, we started with a 154bh, it was nice but absolutely no room to do anything with the dinette made into a bed. I personally like towing the 7 wide 16xrb, no huge mirrors needed and easy to back into the spots. We pull ours with a 2004 Ranger with the 4.0 L 6 cylinder, plenty of power. I did add two stabilizer jacks to the front, made a world of difference at the campsites. Bought those from ClassACustoms in Elkhart, IN I picked up the pair for 32.00, exact match as on the rear. Took about 20 min to install. This trailer is just for the wife and I, but have had the grandkids with no problems, plenty of room. Good luck on your decision, I have heard the 2016 models will have outside shower and power awning.
154BHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy View Post
we have one, there are certain things that my old fun finder had that this doesnt that i miss-outside water and speakers and storage on both sides, front stablizer jacks, electric hot water ignition, bathroom fan , quiet a/c. i would have gotten the 17z but we were to close on weight and it was more expensive. i do tow it sometimes with my wrangler that has a 3500lb tow rating and it gets the job done but its not ideal, i think your better off having a larger tow vehicle than you really need. i just had to put a new tranny in the wrangler, i dont think it was towing related as the planatary gear broke but you never know, i do run a aux tranny cooler and have lower gears in axles along with a programmer for the motor/tranny, my jeep is a very underpowered v6.
we have 2 adults and 2 kids camping and there is enough room, even when other kids come over they have enough room to play in the bunks.
feel free to ask anything else
I have the same Jeep as yours (2010 Rubicon unlimited) and it is currently my only vehicle (we will get F-150 when the rise of a second vehicle will come in the far future)
I want to here more on your towing experience with the Jeep: how many times, distance and terrain.
Thank you for your post.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

I towed our x17z with a 2003 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 v6, 4x4 and did not have any trouble with it. We recently traded the Jeep for a Dodge Durango and still have no problems. The Jeep was rated for 5000# towing. I looked at the 16xrb but liked the extra width of the 17z, a little easier to walk past each other and I prefer the roof mounted air conditioner. We normally just travel with ourselves and our dog, but have brought children and grand-kids along sometimes and the back bunk is great for them. Either way, have fun with your trailer.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #7

Dream Girl , is your jeep stock? that will make a big difference, i just did a 100 mile on way trip this weekend, does fine on flat land but struggles on hills. my jeep does have alot of weight added on it (bumper, winch, full steel skid plates the entire length of jeep, ect) now it also has lower gears installed, comes with 4.11's and i had them changed to 4.88's i should have gotten 5.13's with the size tire i run but didnt. is yours a auto or stick? imo the auto that comes in the 07-11 wranglers is horrible. if you have a auto have a aux tranny cooler installed and get a trans temp gauge. I have the superchips trail dash which is a power programmer and can show actuall coolant temp and tranny temp among a bunch of other things, it also helps the horrible tranny shifting. i dont use a WD hitch, but i have after market rock krawler springs so i dont get to much sag and very little sway, i do use a WD hitch when i tow with grand cherokee but that has 1.5" performance lowering springs and needs it. I prob would use the WD hitch on wrangler but the shank doesnt go low enough for the height of my jeep
14 SLX 16XRB
Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy View Post
Dream Girl , is your Jeep stock? ...
Mostly yes. my Jeep is Auto with the 4.10 gears (stock 32" Rubi tires)
I do have front steal bumper (LOD) and 1.5 Teraflex spring lift but that's it.
My Jeep is my DD and drive like a dream.

If I will ever buy a Hybrid for my Jeep I will get aux tranny cooler installed (I am aware that it's a must) and also get a good WD hitch.

I really like this small Hybrid model, but I don't want to find myself getting a F-150 because of poor Jeep towing performance and then kicking myself for not getting a bigger Hybrid now with the F-150...

I really don't want a truck, and I'm trying to avoid it if possible.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
I towed our x17z with a 2003 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 v6, 4x4 and did not have any trouble with it. We recently traded the Jeep for a Dodge Durango and still have no problems. The Jeep was rated for 5000# towing. I looked at the 16xrb but liked the extra width of the 17z, a little easier to walk past each other and I prefer the roof mounted air conditioner. We normally just travel with ourselves and our dog, but have brought children and grand-kids along sometimes and the back bunk is great for them. Either way, have fun with your trailer.
Our 2014 16XRB has the roof mounted air conditioner.

2007 Ford F150
Old 07-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #10

yeah mine has the roof mounted a/c also, they had both versions on the lot when we got ours.
14 SLX 16XRB
Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #11

I live in Canada and it is very rare to get a heat wave here, so I like the idea of wall mounted a/c, this way I can REMOVE IT and reduce wight for most of my trips, and add it back on the the week or two in the peak of summer.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #12

How is the 16XRB ground clearance, is it is high enough off the ground for most campsites?

Do you guys find the end beds long enough to sleep comfortably?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Girl View Post
How is the 16XRB ground clearance, is it is high enough off the ground for most campsites?

Do you guys find the end beds long enough to sleep comfortably?
The KOA, Disney, and state park campsites have given me no problems in ground clearance. However, I have not taken my 16XRB out to any deep woods (or off a beaten path so to speak). Not sure what your intentions are in the way of camping (off road?), or how the campgrounds are set up in your neck of the woods.

I'm 6 feet tall; I fit fine in the end beds. I normally sleep with my legs slightly bent, but can stretch them straight in these side beds.

I'd recommend visiting a dealer that has one set up, and lie down in one to see if it's comfortable for you though.

2007 Ford F150
Old 07-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The KOA, Disney, and state park campsites have given me no problems in ground clearance. However, I have not taken my 16XRB out to any deep woods (or off a beaten path so to speak). Not sure what your intentions are in the way of camping (off road?), or how the campgrounds are set up in your neck of the woods.
No Off-road, just exiting driveways and some state parks

one of my friends has the sportsmen classic 16rbt and the ground clearance is horrible, he broke his sewer pipes 3 times because of poor ground clearance.

Quote:
I'm 6 feet tall; I fit fine in the end beds. I normally sleep with my legs slightly bent, but can stretch them straight in these side beds.

I'd recommend visiting a dealer that has one set up, and lie down in one to see if it's comfortable for you though.
I am also about 6 feet tall, so it is good to know that the beds working for you!
Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #15

ive had no problems at state parks or anywhere with hitting pipes and my drive way is pretty off camber. So much that my ramp trailer i use to haul my Rzr drags the back. heres my jeep with my 16xrb
14 SLX 16XRB
Old 07-16-2015, 03:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Girl View Post
I live in Canada and it is very rare to get a heat wave here, so I like the idea of wall mounted a/c, this way I can REMOVE IT and reduce wight for most of my trips, and add it back on the the week or two in the peak of summer.
You may want to check out a side mount A/C equipped 16XRB to see how easy (or not) it will be to remove/install at will.
They don't look as if they are set up for easy removal and install. Then there's the hole in the wall that will require a board, and sealant, as you would not want water or rain draining into the walls from the opening when that A/C unit is removed.

2007 Ford F150
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
You may want to check out a side mount A/C equipped 16XRB to see how easy (or not) it will be to remove/install at will.
They don't look as if they are set up for easy removal and install. Then there's the hole in the wall that will require a board, and sealant, as you would not want water or rain draining into the walls from the opening when that A/C unit is removed.
I have ask my dealer service/parts department about this yesterday, and they told me that the side mount A/C can be easily slide in in out.

further more, they can install a frame around the hole that will be weather tight with a removable panel similar to a furnace service door so I can slide in and out the side mount A/C myself.

For illustration:

Old 07-17-2015, 04:07 AM   #18

There you go then!

2007 Ford F150
Old 04-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #19

Smile 16xrb

Going on our first outing tomorrow with our new 16xrb
I'll let you know how it goes. Had a pop up before so I think we'll have enough room for the two of us and 2 small dogs.
PaisanPaul
paisanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #20

Just got home, everything worked great no problems with anything,I'm not impressed with the awning, could be a little higher when fully opened, I'm 6'and can't walk under it without a getting a haircut, the ac vent is angled the wrong way, don't know who designed it, really cools off the micro wave, BUT as iI said everything worked fine, it's the perfect size for the 2 of us and 2 small dogs. I tow with a v6 ford flex a little underpowered on hills but I'm happy.
HOPE THIS HELPS
paisanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote