Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
I tow mine with a 2007 Jeep Commander hemi with tow package. GVWR 6150, curb wt 4800, payload 1350. Tongue limit is 720 with class 4 hitch and gross trailer weight is 7200. Use a 600/6000 Equalizer WDH and Prodigy 2. Had no issues towing.
This makes sense as you have extra payload in the vehicle if you reach your 400# CCC limit for the TT. However, my Xterra has a GVWR of 5,400 and a curb weight of 4,425. By the time I load up the family I don't have the available capacity for the TT not to mention any cargo. I can't believe they almost let me roll off the lot with this thing.

schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims View Post
We have this trailer and it has been perfect for our family. I currently tow this trailer with our Tacoma. We really guzzle the gas (10mpg on average) but, this sounds pretty average even with the bigger TV/TT combinations.

We have been camping on the west side of the cascades here in Washington and we have our first trip to Leavenworth coming up in a few weeks, this will be our first tow over the pass, so I am sure it will be slow going. I find that I get the best mileage and performance if I keep my speed between 55 and 60 on the freeway.

In all we are very happy with our purchase and truly that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Edit: Since this is our first trip going over the pass, I do have plans to hit the CAT scales on our way out of town. I am excited to see what our actual numbers are...
At first I thought you had said Tundra. Now I realize it's a Tacoma. You've got to be careful. Your GVWR is 5,600#s and your curb weight is 4,445#s. A family of 4 and the trailer loaded and you could be well over your GVWR. Likely as is you're over 95% GVWR.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
My bad, you said X17Z in your OP, I simply read it as 17a. I was comparing to the X17a. I didn't even realize they dropped the X17a for this year. Surprising because I thought it was a pretty popular model, and IMO, a better floor plan.
I agree. I shouldn't have looked it up because it would have been perfect and now I'm sad they don't make it any more.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

I also just looked up the X17a and i am mildly frustrated, it likely would have swayed us over the 16xrb.

Oh well, at least i got the sweet vinyl job instead of the drab one!
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittychris View Post
At first I thought you had said Tundra. Now I realize it's a Tacoma. You've got to be careful. Your GVWR is 5,600#s and your curb weight is 4,445#s. A family of 4 and the trailer loaded and you could be well over your GVWR. Likely as is you're over 95% GVWR.
You are correct, when I did the numbers starting out I was at 92.3% GVWR and 77% GCVWR with our family of 4 all loaded up. The true test will be when I hit the CAT scales and can get my actual weights on the 3 platforms here in another week.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #16

We towed ours with a '05 Honda Pilot for years. +3000 mile trips twice and never had any issues. It was rated at #1500 cargo and #3500 tow. The cargo was in addition to 4 adults and luggage as stated by Honda. However, they don't rate that way anymore. As a note, I think Toyota is the only one that rates to a SAE standard for SUVs.

Either way, you need to load and drive to see what you are comfortable with even after crunching the numbers. Vehicle and trailer ratings have safety factors built-in so I have no problem towing at +95% ratings. Keep the air proper in the trailer tires and keep it at 65 or under. I have found that keeps may problems from happening.

We just got a '15 Acadia so in the next month or so I will hit the scales again to verify where I am at. We have a +3200 mile trip in August.
greobr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #17

Tow vehicle

04 Nissan Titan no issues here. Im flabbergasted by people who are right on the cusp of towing limits and forge on. Everything in my experience in somewhat underrated (see VW). I always always always overestimate towing issues, most transmissions these days are marginal at best in my opinion, without a transmission cooler on a borderline SUV your asking for trouble and you better make dang sure the previous owner (if applicable) did the regular scheduled tranny flush. Maybe its just midwestern but in my experience there are lots of people skipping this because its an added expense and they don't tow, they are not thinking about you because you haven't purchased their car yet lol.

I love my 17 so far I understand I can load it down, I appreciate this forum because I probably wouldnt have thought much about weight, we had our popup loaded to the gills with 2 young boys. So Paperplates and cups it is!

PS Ive carried #2400 lbs of wood pellets 4x in the back of my Titan and never broke a spring, but it did have the dirty diaper Was only 5 miles to home from Menards, those Titans are tough
Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #18

oops "can't load it down"
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomacanthus View Post
04 Nissan Titan no issues here. Im flabbergasted by people who are right on the cusp of towing limits and forge on. Everything in my experience in somewhat underrated (see VW). I always always always overestimate towing issues, most transmissions these days are marginal at best in my opinion, without a transmission cooler on a borderline SUV your asking for trouble and you better make dang sure the previous owner (if applicable) did the regular scheduled tranny flush. Maybe its just midwestern but in my experience there are lots of people skipping this because its an added expense and they don't tow, they are not thinking about you because you haven't purchased their car yet lol.

I love my 17 so far I understand I can load it down, I appreciate this forum because I probably wouldnt have thought much about weight, we had our popup loaded to the gills with 2 young boys. So Paperplates and cups it is!

PS Ive carried #2400 lbs of wood pellets 4x in the back of my Titan and never broke a spring, but it did have the dirty diaper Was only 5 miles to home from Menards, those Titans are tough
A Titan shouldn't even notice the X17Z when towing really. They are tough. Also, if you max out the ccc of the trailer you've got plenty of payload in the truck for more gear. I'll never understand why people push the limits either.

When I was shopping I didn't know much about towing. All I was worried about was the towing capacity. I had no idea about the payload and gvcwr. I can't believe the dealer was going to let me roll off the lot with that 17. We picked up our 174BH today and the owner told us that we're going to be sad because the X17Z was the perfect trailer for us. We almost walked out. I couldn't believe it. After I educated the sales manager on towing weights they still had the nerve to say that my xterra could tow the X17Z safely. I was stunned. People with my vehicle are what that trailer was marketed towards though.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #20

I tow it with a 14 tundra. Used to have a 2001 Nissan and when I first towed it with that I heard noises I have never heard before coming out of that vehicle. Now I believe that the x17z is also not meant to be towed by a smaller SUV. But we were going to upgrade anyways. Now lack of storage yes I agree and load capacity is low. But there are plenty of options. We use paper plates and cups. We don't take to many toys for kids. We love it for traveling. It's easy to tow. Only this I miss is a slide out for the rainy days. Would make it more comfortable inside but then we all have rain gears so we suit up and go out.

1988 Starcraft pop up trailer - Retired
Tomsuver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
review, x17z