Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #21

I disagree. Do you think that if a vehicle is rated for #2000 capacity that #2001 pounds will break it?

There are safety factors build into the capacity ratings on all vehicles. Look at the full size towing wars going on on paper. The capacity numbers are sky-rocketing. How can that be? The drive-trains haven't changed enough to warrant the number's increases. What is happening is the manufacturers are changing their safety factors. The standard used to be 2.4, it is probably more like 1.6 now. A 1/2 ton 2WD Chevy pick-up is rated to tow #12,000. Really?

You can work yourself into a 3/4 ton pick-up for a pop-up if you keep adding safety factors on top of safety factors. You don't put only 4 people into a 5 passenger vehicle because you are adding safety factors.

In the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with and road test it to assure you are. I have found people drive way too fast when towing and that causes many problems.

Happy trails.
greobr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by greobr33 View Post
I have found people drive way too fast when towing and that causes many problems.

Happy trails.
I tow my 17z with a Tundra.

I cannot believe the smaller SUV's that fly by me on the highway going over 70mph, all while towing larger campers than me!

But i guess im also overly cautious as well, especially with my family in the truck.
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #23

Quote:
I disagree. Do you think that if a vehicle is rated for #2000 capacity that #2001 pounds will break it?

There are safety factors build into the capacity ratings on all vehicles. Look at the full size towing wars going on on paper. The capacity numbers are sky-rocketing. How can that be? The drive-trains haven't changed enough to warrant the number's increases. What is happening is the manufacturers are changing their safety factors. The standard used to be 2.4, it is probably more like 1.6 now. A 1/2 ton 2WD Chevy pick-up is rated to tow #12,000. Really?

You can work yourself into a 3/4 ton pick-up for a pop-up if you keep adding safety factors on top of safety factors. You don't put only 4 people into a 5 passenger vehicle because you are adding safety factors.

In the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with and road test it to assure you are. I have found people drive way too fast when towing and that causes many problems.

Happy trails.
I agree with this for the most part. If you are within your Weight limits as specified from the manufacturers then what is the big harm? Sure some vehicles may have weak parts or perhaps an odd rating (Jeep liberty anyone) but that is for the person towing to figure out what the feel safe and comfortable towing.

I also agree with the 1/2 ton statement, They are all pushing up their limits to get that big number on the tv ad's these days, its all about marketing and liability on the part of the manufacturers.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #24

Quote:

Happy trails.
As an engineer I can appreciate the safety factor statement. I'm sure there are tons of safety factors built in. There has to be. As far as the 1/2 ton races I'm sure some of it is the margin of safety being reduced but some of it also has to do with other components besides drivetrain being strengthened to up the capacity. The GVWR has more to do with just the ability to pull the load. The suspension and braking as well as a whole host of components come into play. It's all about the weakest link and that may not be drivetrain.

You're also missing another component of this and that is the legality of exceeding the GVWR of your vehicle. While it is unlikely that during normal operation you may not have a problem but if you get into an accident it could be very bad. I know I've been cut off and then had the person in front of me slam on their brakes. If you get into an accident and it comes into light that your vehicle was over GVWR there could be a whole lot of trouble coming your way. Your insurance may not cover it. You could lose your license. Concentrating on the pure pulling capacity of the TV without knowing your safety factor exactly, for each component, is irresponsible. Regardless of how comfortable you are.

Your examples are also extremely misleading. No you don't put only 4 people in a 5 person car because that's what the car was designed for. If the Chevy 1/2 ton was designed for 12,000# then that's what it was designed for. I'm not an automotive engineer and I don't have the testing or the knowledge to make the call so I defer to the people who do. I'm not trying to add more safety factors, I'm trying to stay within the margin of safety stated by people with more knowledge and deeper pockets than me.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #25

Hey all,
This is not a new topic on this forum, as I've seen a fair amount of folks address this over the last couple of years as a member. It's easy to get caught up in the numbers.
As greobr33 states, there is wiggle room built in for safety. Now, that being said, I totally respect your concern for safety and it basically boils down to what you feel comfortable with for you and your family.
I can tell you we pulled our 2013 X17z with my 2008 Ford Escape with tow package for a couple of years with no issues whatsoever. It was a the top end of our capacity so we packed pretty light and usually traveled without water to keep even more room. We are light campers anyway, so it wasn't much of a problem. I didn't go over any real mountains or push any speed limits with it, due to the fact that it was at the top end of my capacity. The 400lb tongue weight wasn't a factor as we didn't come close to maxing our cargo weight in the TV anyway. It is just two of us and the dogs.
Before we bought, I did a lot of research about the numbers and got pretty worked up about it. I consulted Ford and a couple of trusted local mechanics and after speaking to them, felt much better about it.
They gave me some common sense tips about my vehicle and how I towed and I always followed them. We did trade up to an F-150, for less towing stress, (plus I got a new truck) so we can do some over the mountains trips without worrying too much.
That's my experience and should be taken only as that. You need to do what's best for you.
The X17Z is a great little trailer and we love ours. There are good mods on this forum and lots of little tricks to make it pretty versatile, but it doesn't have a large storage capacity.
I hope you find what you need and can get out there with your family! Summer's coming!
Good Luck!
AskewDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #26

We've been towing our x17z with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package and have not had any problems. Anti sway control but not a wdh. Nice comfortable ride but like others there's just two of us mostly going out for long weekends with our dog. Have loaded the water tank a couple of trips and no problems then either. But I don't try to go over 60 and baby my jeep.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #27

I'm adding this here as I used this thread for research. They increased gvwr in 2018 models.
Just purchased a 2018 x17z and gvwr is 3950 with ccc over 700lbs. Sales guy had no clue so hope this helps others..
Tony_Kuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #28

x17z

I tow mine with a 2011 honda pilot touring rated at #4500 pounds. I also bought the e2 sway control and it handles pretty well. Mine is the 2018 x17z, so far it is all we need for my wife and 2 small children. I am sure we will upgrade as we get older.
skott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #29

I purchased a 2012 x17z about 8 months ago and Tow it with a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV 4.0 Crew Cab 2x4 with a Class 4 hitch. Have not towed it much except from original owner to storage lot, then to my house a few weeks ago to start cleaning, repairing, outfitting.

This thread made me a bit nervous, as it should, but looking at my numbers I think I will be alright.

Dry x17z: 3200# with 400# tongue weight.
Frontier curb weight: 4350#
Frontier GVWR: 5816#

OEM Class 4 Hitch specs:
--Max tow capacity 6300#
--Max tongue weight 630#
--Max GCWR 11,230#

Will be doing some more research though to be safe
joshscott84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #30

I would not stress about it as long as you make sure you really don't overdo things. For example, I only travel with a very small amount of fresh water and with the black/gray tanks empty. Can still use the toilet and wash hands but save a lot of weight (and fuel). I make sure the destination has a convenient potable water fill if there are no hookups and a dump station prior to leaving. got rid of the old cast iron griddle for a nice aluminum one. I keep heavy outdoor supplies in plastic totes that go in the back of the grand cherokee when I travel and are easy to unpack when we get there. Keep all tires inflated to the proper pressure and check them often. Repack and check wheel bearings/brakes every year. And make sure to give yourself plenty of travel time so you can travel at a safe and comfortable speed. My Jeep is a 2013 3.6 V6 4x4 with factory tow package and now has 98,000 miles and my x17z is a 2013. I did about 10 trips from Connecticut to Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine last year with no issues whatsoever. Will take camping in my own RV over getting on an airplane and sleeping in a strange place any day!
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #31

Yeah I figure I'm ok after I checked the specs for my TV. Like you said though, I need to be mindful of weight and distribution of said weight between TT and TV. Also general maintenance as you pointed out as well. Most of our trips will be in state as FL has a ton to offer between springs, state parks, and coast line. Thanks for your $.02, I appreciate it greatly. Can never be too safe
Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #32

I tow with a 4x4 Honda Pilot, it does great for my x17z. I would recommend a weight distribution hitch though. Helps with sway and keeps the rig on more of a level plane. I believe mine is an E2. Make sure your vehicle has a brake controller as well.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #33

So the brakes on the x17z can be controlled via controller? I know they are full disc but I was under the impression they were break away only.

Mind expanding on your setup skott?

Please excuse my ignorance
Old 05-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #34

Yes my x17z has electric drum brakes. In Indiana it is a state law to have a brake controller in your vehicle when towing. At least that is what a state cop had told me.

My setup is a E2 Weight distribution hitch with sway control.

Also mine is a 2018. So I'm not sure if it was standard with that year, or if it wasn't with earlier models.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by skott17 View Post
I tow with a 4x4 Honda Pilot, it does great for my x17z. I would recommend a weight distribution hitch though. Helps with sway and keeps the rig on more of a level plane. I believe mine is an E2. Make sure your vehicle has a brake controller as well.
I use a 4WD Nissan Pathfinder with the factory tow package. It's the same towing capacity as the Pilot. I don't pull up and down western mountains, but I have scaled a few of the ones in Virginia successfully. We absolutely love our X17Z.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #36

We do too. We have 2 young children, 4 and 1. So we may be upgrading as they get older for more room. We chose the smaller x17z because of tow restrictions. I am sure we will be upgrading as the kids get older.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #37

mods

I am always looking for mods to expand storage space though, also I wish the bumper was a standard bumper that I could mount a bike rack on.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #38

Quote:
We do too. We have 2 young children, 4 and 1. So we may be upgrading as they get older for more room. We chose the smaller x17z because of tow restrictions. I am sure we will be upgrading as the kids get older.
We're on the other end of the road with our kids. Ours are 17 and nearly 15. We bought the camper 2.5 years ago, figuring we only had a few years camping with both kids. Our son likes to bring a tent with him anyhow, since he's a Boy Scout, so it doesn't get too crowded inside at night. The camper has also been great for a place to stay at our son's travel soccer tournaments. It's saved us a ton of money that way. I like to say when our son has a tournament, the camper pays for itself that month!

ETA: One side note -- we have taken to driving two cars to the campground, particularly if one of the kids is bringing a friend along. It removes the weight stress. I'll usually leave early and set everything up, and will be drinking an adult beverage when everyone else shows up!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #39

Quote:
I am always looking for mods to expand storage space though, also I wish the bumper was a standard bumper that I could mount a bike rack on.

You can brace the bumper, but I'd strongly recommend against mounting anything back. We've tried to figure out a way to bring bikes, too, but we've largely given up on that.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #40

Quote:

I was thinking about somehow mounting to the subframe directly behind the 'faux' bumper. Maybe one of those bumper mounted receiver hitches but instead of mounting on bumper just through bolt on subframe.

Haven't really looked into the logistics of this as I have a truck bed rack for our bikes as well but it has crossed my mind obviously.

Tags
review, x17z