Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #1

Camping last weekend and got rained on. In my bed!

We just came home from four days in Flagstaff, AZ, and on Friday night we had a horrible storm! Lighting and thunder for hours. Rain so loud the kids couldn't hear the audiobook that we were listening to so they just went to sleep. The sleep of children while Mommy stayed up to pray and ask God not to let lightening strike too closely or hit a tree nearby.

The rain was pounding for hours like golfballs. Around midnight I was starting to fade and I had prayed for the entire world so I was drifting off to sleep and then started to feel it: water spray, like a fine mist. I thought I was imagining it but it kept happening. Tiny droplets of water were penetrating the inner tent lining and the pounding rain was shaking the outside tent and I was being misted in my bed.

I pulled the covers over my head and the Benedryl I took to sleep finally kicked in. We awoke to a gorgeous morning but the mattresses were wet and the storage until behind the dinette was soaked. It was the second time we've experienced rain like that so we're looking for a non-hybrid TT like the X254 now. We camp often and go north during the Phoenix summer so we hit monsoons and rain a lot. Time for another road trip to Des Moines, IA, to buy another Jayco from RV Direct.

The hybrid is awesome about 90% of the time but I'd like to get to 100%. We'll definitely have to upgrade our truck, though. Hoping Toyota comes out with a diesel this year!

Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your rain issues. Have you thought about tarps to put over the tent ends for this potential rain storms that you experience? might be cheaper then a new camper, but if you are set at buying one, I would not blame you.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

Did you track down where the leak was coming from?

We've been in a few crazy hard rain storms in our x23B and haven't ever gotten wet.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

Our now gone X23B tent ends were made of a solid vinyl type of fabric. The only place for leaks like you are describing would have been the seams. Our tent ends were surprisingly dry. Perhaps a spray on tent seam sealer would help or a set of PUGS (which we used).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

Possible condensation on the tent ends? Same thing used to happen with my pop-up. Due to different temps from inside to outside, condensation would accumulate on the tent ends inside. And when the wind would blow, it would buffet the ends and shake the moisture off onto our faces as we slept.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

We LOVED our tent-trailer but couldn't effectively use it year around (wet canvas, cooooolllldddd nights) ~ lessons learned after a mid-summer storm in Yosemite that washed away tents AND a late fall trip to the beach! Just depends on the type of camping you like to do ... and how much patience you have. That is why after 30 years, we decided on a TT.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #7

I have seeing some recurring reports of hybrids leaking through the seams...
So far I have being camping on tents for 36 years and 30 of it in tropical Brazil were rain is like waterfall...
What we learned that works is: Seal your seams.
Every time we buy a new tent, the first thing we do is put it up on the backyard and seal all the seams FROM THE INSIDE.
That is a one time job and works.
We just disposed a 15 years old tent (because it ripped - not @ the seams) that last year got really strong rain for hours in Florida and it had no drippings inside....
Walmart sells a nice seam sealant from their brand Ozark that works.
If I had a hybrid, that would be my first action.

Just my 2c.

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #8

It wasn't the seams. After hours of pounding rain and with the outer tent material crashing into the inner tent material, the rain started to wick through like if you touched it when it was wet. Once the water started to come in, the continued pounding rain made the water spray onto my face.

My husband waxes and seals the tent ends every year. He is meticulous in his care of our trailer. There is a leak around the storage in the front of the trailer but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Guess we should figure that out before we sell it.

I did look at the PUGS or PUPS or tent covers but in AZ, we aren't guaranteed to be camping in places with trees. Not sure I want another step in setting up and breaking down the trailer but it might be an option. Because of the rain and cold and ease of setting up and breaking down, I think we decided that we use our TT so much that we'll upgrade our TV and TT. Enjoyed our time in the hybrid but I think I'm ready to move on to the next Princess vehicle.

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

Outer tent and inner tent. Not sure I understand. Our tents had a single layer. The exception was the windows which had a screen and fabric layer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #10

Yep, I assumed it was two layers but it's not. It just wicked through the tent fabric.

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

For the 13 years I owned my pop-up, I never treated the tent fabric. Coleman was very adamant in the manual stating not to treat the tenting because it's factory treated. It could rain for days and it wouldn't matter. You could lay right up against the tent ends and never get wet. Not sure treating the ends is the right thing to do. Unless of course, the manufacturer says to. Some proofing treatments do a great job at first but, could eventually compromise the original waterproofing from the factory. At least that's the conclusion I came to years ago.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #12

Just experienced this myself. It was condensation occurring at the same time as the rain but usually when it was a heavy down pour. We were camping on the east coast and the condensation came from the fog that rolled in on some days, or moisture from my CPAP machine Humidifier. Overnight temps often dropped to 11 to 13 C. I've also been in a couple of down pours since and not had any issues.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote