Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Can I winterize it and do I cover it or don't bother???

Well, time to think about winterizing the Jayco 19H. This is the first winter we have owned it. Is winterizing some sort of special skill that only the Dealer should do or would I be able to handle it myself?

Also, to cover or not to cover? Seems like many say don’t bother and equally as many say it should be covered. I did have a cover for my tent trailer and it was a breathable one so as not to lock in moisture under the cover. Is the concept still the same for these Hybrids? We do get a fair amount of snow here so leaving it uncovered don’t seem right to me but that’s why I’m asking here.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Harry M.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #2

My husband winterized our 25e Jayco so it can be done without taking it to the dealer.
spud1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #3

Harry it is a very simple task to winterize your unit. First go to the dealer,purchase a fitting that will connect to the city water water inlet.screw this in attach an air compressor to fitting ,starting with the farest faucet open this until only air comes out,move on to the next faucet and prepeat . I don't know if you have a by pass on the hot water heater,if so close the inlet andoutlet valves open the center oneand blow all water out. Next locate the hose that is connected to the pump,close the valve to the fresh water tank and open the one that is on this pickup hose,turn pump on and draw antifreeze into the system,opening one faucet at a time until antifreeze comes out. do the same for the stool and ad some to the bowl,also put some in all traps. this will save up to a$100.00. antifreeze runs about $3.00.Have a nice day
onebigtrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

It should explain how to do this in your manual.
spud1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Every region of the country has different requirments for this process. We have a couple of weeks of actual winter where I live and we winterize by turning on the heat.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

It is safe to assume that if you are on this forum you are used to using the internet. I would recommend that you open up Youtube on your browser and search 'how to winterize an RV' and you will see many different methods, suggesstions and tips on how best to prepare your RV for the upcoming winter. I find many of the RV Youtube videos to be super helpful and even more so if you are a visual learner. IMHO, winterizing can seem complicated but the first time I did it I scratched my head and said 'Is that all there is to it...that was too easy!'
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post
It is safe to assume that if you are on this forum you are used to using the internet. I would recommend that you open up Youtube on your browser and search 'how to winterize an RV' and you will see many different methods, suggesstions and tips on how best to prepare your RV for the upcoming winter. I find many of the RV Youtube videos to be super helpful and even more so if you are a visual learner. IMHO, winterizing can seem complicated but the first time I did it I scratched my head and said 'Is that all there is to it...that was too easy!'
X2

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

Can I winterize it and do I cover it or don't bother???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post
X3.

Save your $ and do it yourself. I'm new to trailer ownership and just winterized mine. It was super easy!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

I have an X23B and we do use cover in the winter. Good for UV protection
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Winterizing is fairly easy; just make sure you get a little antifreeze in every line, such as the outdoor shower and the toilet. One gallon should do, but you can buy 2 and if you do not use it all it will be good for next fall.

If you use the compressed air method, you just have to reduce the air pressure.

You do not state what part of the country you are from. I personally like to have the roof vent covered, if you are in an area that gets a lot of snow and ice.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Youtube is how I figured out to do mine with antifreeze. Easy. Took 10 minutes. Well worth not spending $$$ at the dealer.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #12

I forgot to mention, I cover mine, but it comes down to personal preference. My trailer was not covered in the 4 years prior to my owning it. It was always in dry climates. It spends most of the winter here in the rain so I keep it covered.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for all the helpful answers! I believe I will give it a shot. I bought it used and it did not have the owners manual with it. I down loaded one from Jayco and I do see where it talks about winterizing the unit. I'LL google up on the INTERNET as well as I am a visual person.

I live in MA so a bit of snow and ice for the winter so I think I'll will cover. Lot's of covers out there but I saw a Carver that looked decent for $500 bucks and had a 5 yr warranty.

Again, thanks for the great feed-back!
Harry M.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote