Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

Canvas concern x17z

Should I worry about if my new camper is leaking? Anybody else have concerns about leaking on these expandables? I feel fine, but wife is up nights now because she read on another forum horror stories of leaking expandables that were new and leaked mostly on the hitch end. Can I have a consensus whether she should be worrying or not? I did buy some of the waterproofing spray with orange top at Walmart last night. So i plan on using that on the canvas. but i think her concerns are when the ends are closed up.
abrockhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

I was told by the guy that did our walk though to wet down the ends when it's nice and warm/sunny outside. This will help the treads expand and prevent any leaks, which I guess can be common when the expandable ends are new. I never actually noticed any leaks on mine when doing this, which I did several times just to be safe.
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

If it is brand new and still under warranty - I would talk to Jayco before applying any type of spray to the canvas. Last thing you want to do is void your warranty on accident.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #4

I also would not spray my tent ends because of warranty. I've had my 17z for a few months and have had no problems with leaks. You have a two year warranty if anything should go wrong but I really wouldn't worry yourself about it. Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Not to worry, I had my 19H open for the last two weeks, in all the NH downpours & not even damp. It is very good waterproof fabric.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Had a few good rains while camping with ours and no problems.

Keep in mind that the ends are usually only opened while camping. The fabric is only exposed a mere fraction of the time in comparision with the rest of the unit. Your chances of getting a leak in other parts of the camper are greater in my opinion. While I said I have had no problems with the fabric, I did have to replace the dinette window due to a defect in the assembled window!

Don't worry about.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #7

our Hybrid never leaked..... If it is leaking where mattress is getting wet or worse, you are, than it is a concern. If it is just moisture forming on the canvas, no worries... we were always taught not to touch the canvas when it was raining...my Dad alwas said it would make it leak, I never asked why, but I still would'nt do it today..
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #8

Just picked up my 17z this weekend and the owners manual says to season the tent ends by showering the tent ends with water and let dry, repeat 2 more times. This will allow the thread to swell and seal the stitches.

I'm on step 1 now.....
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Rained all last night, NO LEAKS.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #10

I have a 2,011 17 C and we followed the manual saying we had to wet down the ends three times before we camped. We did that and when the rain was not too heavy, nothing leaked. However, we had some really severe downpours and the canvas did leak - not so bad as to make things very wet, but a few drops here and there. I looked at the manual again and it says to spray with waterproof material so I bought the stuff at Walmart. We just got back from Colorado (we left from our home in New York) there was a terrible downpour and though the inner canvas got wet, it did not leak. What did get really wet, though, was water came in through our air conditioning unit. We left it on fan while we were out, it rained like crazy and when we got back the rug on the floor was soaked and water was still coming out of the unit even though it was no longer raining. It still came out when we turned it off. Is that normal? It took awhile for the unit to stop leaking some water but once it seemed dry we turned it back on and it worked.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
I have a 2,011 17 C and we followed the manual saying we had to wet down the ends three times before we camped. We did that and when the rain was not too heavy, nothing leaked. However, we had some really severe downpours and the canvas did leak - not so bad as to make things very wet, but a few drops here and there. I looked at the manual again and it says to spray with waterproof material so I bought the stuff at Walmart. We just got back from Colorado (we left from our home in New York) there was a terrible downpour and though the inner canvas got wet, it did not leak. What did get really wet, though, was water came in through our air conditioning unit. We left it on fan while we were out, it rained like crazy and when we got back the rug on the floor was soaked and water was still coming out of the unit even though it was no longer raining. It still came out when we turned it off. Is that normal? It took awhile for the unit to stop leaking some water but once it seemed dry we turned it back on and it worked.
Read this thread, it will answer your air conditioning questions:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2880
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote