Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Carlisle tires vs Goodyear, ST vs LT tires on 23B??

Hey all I need to replace my OEM tires on my 23b and need some input. I am willing to bet that they are the original tires because the TT was not used much and the tires have great tread they are just dry rotting from between the tread to the sidewalls. The original owner did however keep tire covers over them. If there is already a post in regard to this issue just point me toward it! Carlisle tires vs Goodyear... so far I have not heard good things about the Carlisle tires on other TT. I have also read that many people have gone to a light truck tire but, I am not sure if they are even compatible with the Goodyear ST185 size that we use. Price is not really that much different....about $20 more a tire for the Goodyear...that does make it enough to at least do a comparison though.

Do any of you put your TT up on jack stands to get the weight off the tires when not in use?

I also read in the old manual that tire pressure should be at 35psi. Seemed a little low to me. The previous owner discovered sway problems with it if he went above that. I just went with what he did and kept them at 35psi. and had no problems. Just concerned that new tires may wear different since the tires I am replacing must be at least 12 years old. We have not done any trips over an hour drive since I was not 100% confident in the tires until I get them replaced this week for our fall camping season.

Thanks
Jason Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Look at the tire identification number, which is a code that displays where the tire was manufactured and size. The format of the tire identification number changed in the year 2000. If the last four symbols of the tire identification are digits, the tire was produced in or after the year 2000. If only the last three symbols of the tire identification number are digits, the tire was produced before the year 2000

The last (2) digits (of the ending 4 digit code) tell you the manufacture year (i.e XX08 means the tire was manufactured in 2008)

I find it hard to believe the correct tire pressure is 35#....probably correct is 45-50#

Running heavy load tires under inflated increases heat, deteriorates sidewall integrity (causing cracks and sidewall blowouts) and contributes to TT sway.

TT tires are usually recommended to be replaced every 3-5 years. Tires with excessive mileage / UV exposure / misuse should be considered for replacement sooner than later.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

There is a battle raging on RV.NET regarding Carlisle' "redesigned" ST tire. Carlisle has added a nylon cap to the tire which is supposed provide added strength and heat resistance. http://www.carlisletransportationpro...adial-trail-rh. Come in sizes from 12-16" and are widely available. Some posters on RV.Net that have purchased them report so far, so good. And the naysayers predictably say "nay" but don't own them or have sworn allegiance to Maxxis, which while maybe good, doesn't have a wide ranging distribution network. Ya pays your money and takes your chances I guess. But I firmly believe how one maintains the tires, loads the tires, maintains inflation pressures, and drives has more to do with tire longevity than who/where they were built in a lot of cases. I have on our WhiteHawk whatever China tire Tredit Tire supplied Jayco. No problems at all to this point. If that changes, I might consider Carlisle or dare I say it, GY Marathons!
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

This might be too late but I just joined. I just purchased GY tires from a site called www.treaddepot.com and they were the best deal. Free delivery if you can install them yourself. I paid $76/ea. That was about $30 cheaper than anyone local...food for thought.
My3Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

How 'bout Maxxis?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

The original tires were as I suspected.....2000 manufactured tires. So I put the Carlisle tires on, $78 ea on the rim, so now that I followed the torque pattern and set them all at the final value of 115ftlbs the question of tire pressure remains. The manual and the previous owner kept them at 35psi. I however agree with previous posts that it should be higher....more like 40 - 45. Any further input? Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

My preference, but on our fifth wheel and now on our WhiteHawk, I inflate and maintain the trailer tires to the maximum cold inflation pressure listed on the sidewall. Always have, always will. That way I never have to worry if the tires are adequately inflated for the load they are carrying because they are inflated to the limit set by the manufacturer.

The fifth wheel we owned was a HitcHiker LS, which from the factory came with 6000 lbs axles and E Range tires. The original owner had the MorRyde IS with 8000 lb. shear springs installed and it rode on GY 614RST tires. Now their loaded gross weight was in excess of 14000 lbs, but the suspension was up to the job. He did experience a destructive tire failure once or twice with the 614's. I believe that happened because the tires were loaded at or near their rated capacity, and that seems to be a common theme with any RV and tire issue. The manufacturers seem to bolt on what gets the job done with little margin to spare. When we bought the HitchHiker, we had zero problems with the tires. Did have to replace all due to age, and one that I "curbed" in a shopping center parking lot.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

thanks I will put more air in them and I didn't even think to look at Maxxis tires.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
snip....... I inflate and maintain the trailer tires to the maximum cold inflation pressure listed on the sidewall. Always have, always will.....snip
X2

I put a set of Carlisle "RH" Radial ST225/75R15, "E" Load Range, on my TT in the spring of 2012. Haven't had any issues with them, and don't expect any based on two seasons of camping and a winter round-trip to Texas (replaced my aging OEM Maxxis tires).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

I did a lot of homework on tires yesterday and Carlisle tires were not even considered for my rig.
The best Carlisle 13 inch tires max rating is still only 1480 lbs; no where near Kenda Loadstar 1725 lbs
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #11

I have had the Maxxis for about 5000 miles on my 23b and no issues.... probably have issues now since i posted this.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelldawg View Post
I did a lot of homework on tires yesterday and Carlisle tires were not even considered for my rig.
The best Carlisle 13 inch tires max rating is still only 1480 lbs; no where near Kenda Loadstar 1725 lbs
I have never heard anyone rave about how great their Loadstars held up when in use. Will be eagerly awaiting your report.

BTW, lots of irony in this post. Be careful out there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #13

They should be good for my weight. I think the next chance I get I will get it weighed. I always travel with no water in the tanks and about the only thing additional packing I do is fill the fridge. everything else that is in it stays in it. The most important thing to me now is the tire pressure and cheching the lug torque. The brakes seem to be fine on road testing and I have not noticed any issues with heat from the axle caps or brakes. The more reading I do I find that max cold tire pressure is the ticket.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Biddle View Post
The original tires were as I suspected.....2000 manufactured tires. So I put the Carlisle tires on, $78 ea on the rim, so now that I followed the torque pattern and set them all at the final value of 115ftlbs the question of tire pressure remains. The manual and the previous owner kept them at 35psi. I however agree with previous posts that it should be higher....more like 40 - 45. Any further input? Thanks
Wow! 35 PSIG?!? What is the weight of your trailer? What does the nameplate data on your trailer say for recommended load range of your tire, and recommended air pressure? (A required tag).

Your tires will state the load rating/load range, which will govern the "max" tire pressure. Load range "C" for example (a very common load range for trailers) is max 50 PSIG. I was running my old Carlisles at less than 50 and they didnt last very long at all. Then I upgraded to load range "D" Maxxis (max 65 PSIG) and I am very happy. Kinda finicky about my pressure...keep 'em at 65 (cold) and they are wearing very nicely.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #15

The Carlisle tires have a good rating for my 23b. I think I will take it down to the local truck stop and get it weighed just out of curiosity. It stays close to same weight all the time except when I load the fridge and about 100lbs of miscellaneous crap to travel and I do not carry any water in my tanks when I travel. I was more concerned with how it will ride with the max cold tire pressure at 50psi as compared to how I am use to it riding at 35psi. I know that speed plays a big factor in that as well. Me being a motorcycle rider as well I am always traveling in a caution defensive mode so I never go over 60mph with the TT in tow. Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #16

Was just curious about the weight ratings posted on your sticker for your 23b. From the Jayco brochure, it looks to be about 3990 empty (UVW) and 4950 max loaded weight (GVWR). I would bet your side panel sticker indicates Load range C tires, inflated to 50 PSIG. Like said before, lower pressures cause more heat and premature wear (and blowouts!). Your tires will also have a speed rating listed on them, typically 65 MPH...pay more money and you can get a higher speed rating (I dont typically travel my trailer >65). Its just good overall to really know your tires and your weights.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

OK NEW DILEMMA!!!! The problem the sticker is gone and the manual calls for 35psi.... Today I stopped and looked at another Kiwi and took a picture of the sticker.......The sticker say ST175/80R13B......35psi..[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]....needless to say I have different tire size than what is on the sticker! I don't know what rules that changes but, I know I put back on it what came off, ST185/80R13. It sounds crazy but I don't think that the TT has traveled very far in the last 10 years. I know the furthest the previous owner took it was a 3hr drive. I have seen the cold pressure on the new tires but, not the speed rating. They are load C tires just like the old ones. Also a pic of one of the tires I took off[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

If I am doing this correctly the load per tire is 1480lbs x 4 = 5920lbs. I think I am in the 4500 range loaded.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #18

Load C tires are good to 50PSIG...(and the closer you run to max, the better they respond/wear/etc.) The sticker you looked at had load range B (ST175/80R13B) @ 35PSIG max pressure. What is the weight rating on the tires you are running? (my load range D tires have weight rating on tire listed as 2150lbs per tire...my old load range C tires were 1820 lbs per tire) What is the weight of your TT? (and how old is it that the sticker is gone? How about the weight rating sticker on the inside of one of the interior cabinets?)

Hmmm... Ok...13 inch tires tells me this is a very light/small trailer. Not the 23b I am used to. (Pop-up?)

The following is an example of the difference in load carrying capability of a C load range tire at 50PSIG or 35PSIG:

1360 pound capacity x 4 = 5440 pounds capacity at 50 psi. But only 1100 x 4 = 4400 pounds capacity at 35 psi.

From what I call tell (without knowing the year of your kiwi), your UVW is probably 3945 and gvwr is 4950.

I'd go with 50PSIG (for LRC tires)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #19

It is a 2000, jayco 23b kiwi hybrid. In the photos I posted you should be able to see the max is 50psi at 1480lbs x 4 = 5920lbs. I think I am in the 4200lbs. range loaded.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	9530

Length/Width 23' 7"x7"6"
Gross vehicle weight 4400 lbs. Hitch weight-300 lbs.
Unloaded Weight 3,235 lbs. Axle weight- 2935 lbs.
Exterior Height- 115"
Carrying Capacity- 1165 lbs.
(manufacturer specs)

this is an add for a 2002:
http://2002jaycokiwi23b.weebly.com/
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #20

I believe your number are right, Jason.

On the speed rating: ST (special trailer) tires are rated 65mph
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote